Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 24, 2013, 2:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
According to EF these are the MCTs for JFK:
DL to DL Connections
  • D-D: 35 minutes
  • D-I: 45 minutes except 55 minutes if connecting to HAV.
  • I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland, AUA, BDA, FPO, or NAS; 1 hour 55 minutes if coming from HAV. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-D times above apply.
  • I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes except: 1 hour if coming from Ireland or AUA; 45 minutes if coming from BDA, FPO, or NAS; 2 hours if arriving on a DL-marketed flight that arrives into Terminal 1. Note if you're coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, it's considered a domestic flight and the D-I times above apply.
DL to/from AF
  • DL to AF, D-I: 1 hour 40 minutes until 11/23/23; 1 hour 15 minutes starting 11/24/23
  • DL to AF, I-I: 2 hours
  • AF to DL, I-D: 2 hours 15 minutes until 12/31/23; 1 hour 45 minutes starting 1/1/24
  • AF to DL, I-I: 2 hours
DL to/from KL
  • DL to KL, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to KL, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • KL to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
DL to/from VS:
  • DL to VS, D-I: 45 minutes
  • DL to VS, I-I: 1 hour 25 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes
  • VS to DL, I-I: 1 hour 40 minutes
Other connections
LA to DL I-D: 1 hour 40 minutes until 7/21/23, 1 hour 35 minutes starting 7/22/23.
LA to DL I-I: 1 hour 30 minutes

Generic online and offline:
D-D: 1 hour
D-I: 1 hour 15 minutes
I-D: 1 hour 45 minutes
I-I: 2 hours
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at New York (JFK): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Shouldn't be an issue unless you're late arriving at JFK. Even if you are there's multiple other flights, including KLM nonstop or AF via CDG that will get you to AMS.

There's also a short connections line for immigration at JFK.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Is a 40 minute layover doable/worth it on RDU - JFK - SFO to grab the 763 in Y with exit row? RDU - JFK is first flight of the day but if I misconnect, likely stuck waiting for a bad seat on the next JFK - SFO flight.

Alternates aren't pretty (mostly 739 with a couple of 757s but bleak seating opportunities).
Old Sep 7, 2017, 10:53 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by Duke787
Is a 40 minute layover doable/worth it on RDU - JFK - SFO to grab the 763 in Y with exit row? RDU - JFK is first flight of the day but if I misconnect, likely stuck waiting for a bad seat on the next JFK - SFO flight.

Alternates aren't pretty (mostly 739 with a couple of 757s but bleak seating opportunities).
Early AM arrivals into JFK are usually pretty on-time. Kennedy only ramps up later in the afternoon.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ekozie
Early AM arrivals into JFK are usually pretty on-time. Kennedy only ramps up later in the afternoon.
Okay I'll go with it. Seems like the least bad option available to me and still lets me get to SF early afternoon which is welcome.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:47 pm

Next Friday I will be taking a 3:05pm flight from Boston to JFK, followed by a 7pm flight from JFK to London-Heathrow, booked on the same ticket by delta (operated by Endeavour Air and Virgin Atlantic respectively). So a 2h21 connection, both landing in and departing from terminal 4. I'm a non-US citizen.

Should I anticipate any problems? As far as I'm aware I shouldn't have to collect any baggage or do any security or immigration in JFK, so even with a long delay on the flight I should be ok?

Thanks
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Correct. No exit immigration in US. Thus simply arrive at JFK and goto gate or lounge. Plenty of time.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:49 pm

Arrival T4 from Canada (not a pre-clearance airport) and then a domestic departure from T4.

I assume pax have to walk to the arrival hall to clear customs and then.... is there a transit desk? Do pax need to re-check luggage and/or re-clear security from the main departure desks?

I assume all-in-all this is a very long walk?
Thanks
Old Sep 20, 2017, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by saaveraward
Arrival T4 from Canada (not a pre-clearance airport) and then a domestic departure from T4.

I assume pax have to walk to the arrival hall to clear customs and then.... is there a transit desk? Do pax need to re-check luggage and/or re-clear security from the main departure desks?

Thanks
Yes must pickup and recheck bags. However there is a recheck just outside customs exit. There is also a security checkpoint. If you have Precheck or line is very long just take elevator up and use normal line. Length depends on which gate you arrive at, most likely high B and which you depart, which depends on destination. If on an RJ, then most likely really high B gates. There's the JFK Jitney by gate B19. If you depart from B40 or higher can take it to that end. Note if departure gets switched to T2, its normally still quicker to clear security at T4. Then catch the JFK Jitney from by gate B19, but to T2 instead. Domestic non-LAX/SFO and non-RJ can end up at T2 so make sure to check gate. If it becomes a C gate then it's T2.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Thanks
YQB?

Since it will be an regional you will be at the high B's which means a very long walk to arrival hall for immigration and customs.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by tentseller
YQB?

Since it will be an regional you will be at the high B's which means a very long walk to arrival hall for immigration and customs.
Yes thanks to you and the previous poster, and slightly OT, I ordered a wheelchair online (T-7 hours) and the system accepted it even though it is day of travel. Think it processes in time?
Old Sep 20, 2017, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Yes thanks to you and the previous poster, and slightly OT, I ordered a wheelchair online (T-7 hours) and the system accepted it even though it is day of travel. Think it processes in time?
My expericne with DL T4 for my parents the chair will be waiting at the jetway.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Why would you think otherwise? You can ask at the gate and one will be waiting when you land.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 10:08 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Why would you think otherwise? You can ask at the gate and one will be waiting when you land.
I mean, on AA I have to order a meal 24 hours in advance and half the time its miscatered.

I just assume clicking a button on delta.com 7 hours before landing only means a hampster gets a food pellet somewhere.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:37 pm

I will eat my words and say I am thoroughly impressed by DL and thank those on this forum who helped today. Family landed at T4 with a wheelchair waiting in the jetway booked last minute.

The helper sped them through immigration, helped grab bags, pushed them to the front of TSA and somehow got them to the T2 departure gate. I know they're not DL employees, but the needed service reflects great on the airline.

My family missed the T4 Sky Club, but I told them to go to the one at T2 to decompress.

It sounds like the that helper got the biggest tip my family has ever given and I get to stay in the will for another week!

In all seriousness, I've been very impressed with DL domestic lately (have not tried intl) and just booked 5 new res with them.

Thanks again!
Old Sep 21, 2017, 11:43 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I'm flying MEM-LGA and connecting to JFK-CDG (on AF metal) and onwards from CDG (all on a single ticket)

Two hours and 20 minutes between flights. Saturday afternoon. No checked bags, and I have precheck.

There's later flights if I miss this one, so this does not seem risky at all but just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this plan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.