FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

alex9654 Mar 9, 2017 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by MfromL (Post 28013254)
First time going for a bump with Delta (long time AA flyer) but this time I managed to get a cheap KLM ticket ($450), operated by Delta, from MSP to CDG via ATL. At MSP 400 offered to be bumped, the agent needed two volunteers. At the end they got up to 500 and decided to grab it after confirming they could put me in a MSP-AMS-CDG that arrived 5 minutes before the ATL-CDG segment. Moved from 767 on the ATL-CDG to a 330, which was much nicer.

Overall, nice experience with Delta, I'm considering switching to them...

Cool! Did you try to negotiate Delta One on MSP-AMS? That would have been a no brainer...

MfromL Mar 9, 2017 9:42 pm

Nope, I didn't want to tempt fate. This is my first bump ever -not that I have not tried before, but AA usually puts me back at the last minute when I volunteer-, so I took a normal coach seat. Now that I know it is possible I will try that on the return leg, this friday (CDG-BOS-MSP), and since the snow storm from this week has cancelled many flights to the east coast, I'm guessing my chances will be higher due to the volume of delayed passengers stil trying to make their way home on friday.

weflyhigh9 Mar 17, 2017 12:02 pm

Yesterday, scored a $1300 bumpertunity!!! from JFK to LAS, heading there for the March Madness!!! GA solicited 7 volunteers and ended needing 5 of us. I asked for a food voucher, considering my flight was the next morning, and was told they do not give them out anymore???

mot29 Mar 17, 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by weflyhigh9 (Post 28049943)
Yesterday, scored a $1300 bumpertunity!!! from JFK to LAS, heading there for the March Madness!!! GA solicited 7 volunteers and ended needing 5 of us. I asked for a food voucher, considering my flight was the next morning, and was told they do not give them out anymore???

Did you get a hotel or are you from NY and just went home.
The only bumps I've gotten from DCA (home) have been just a few hours.
But whenever I've taken an overnight bump from away, always gotten food -- most recently last November.

Vincent Charretier Apr 11, 2017 11:46 am

Sitting on JFK-LAS DL400 with wife. Was offered VBD at online checking and asked for 500$.

Let's see if they end up needing us, I'll see if we can be seated together (not the case on DL400).

Carpboy823 Apr 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Vincent Charretier (Post 28162525)
Sitting on JFK-LAS DL400 with wife. Was offered VBD at online checking and asked for 500$.

Let's see if they end up needing us, I'll see if we can be seated together (not the case on DL400).

Are you saying that you're on the plane already? I don't think they'll probably end up needing you to volunteer then... unless you're flying UA today ;)

kavok Apr 11, 2017 1:06 pm

Interesting question:
I recently booked a flight FWA-DTW-SEA in Y. Cost of the ticket was ~$450. A detailed breakdown of the cost (for calculating sky miles), showed that the FWA-DTW portion of the flight was only $9, and that most of the cost was on the DTW-SEA leg, with the remainder going to taxes.

Does that mean that if DL wanted to IDB me for the FWA-DTW leg on the way home, I would legally only be owed $36 (4x$9) because that is what 400% of the ticket price was?

Vincent Charretier Apr 11, 2017 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Carpboy823 (Post 28162955)
Are you saying that you're on the plane already? I don't think they'll probably end up needing you to volunteer then... unless you're flying UA today ;)

No no, I'm at the gate !
Looks like 16 pax are still waiting for a seat so they will need us.
The GA offered 2 seats on the 18:46 flight so 3 hours late if they need us.
Boarding has started and I was told to wait, I think we are the #1 volunteers.

Widgets Apr 11, 2017 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by weflyhigh9 (Post 28049943)

Technically, they haven't in years. Meal vouchers aren't intended for denied boarding compensation. You get whatever is negotiated. Some airports wouldn't include meal vouchers in their denied boarding compensation offers. It's a fluid negotiation process.

Renes Points Apr 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 28163179)
Technically, they haven't in years. Meal vouchers aren't intended for denied boarding compensation. You get whatever is negotiated. Some airports wouldn't include meal vouchers in their denied boarding compensation offers. It's a fluid negotiation process.

This is why you print an extra boarding pass and write down what you want on the back including meals and if you want first class on new flights ;)

Widgets Apr 11, 2017 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points (Post 28163693)
This is why you print an extra boarding pass and write down what you want on the back including meals and if you want first class on new flights ;)

Don't forget to also write down that you don't want a beating. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

OHDL1 Apr 11, 2017 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 28163714)
Don't forget to also write down that you don't want a beating. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice...

I bit over the top..wouldn't you say. No one was "beat". Of course...Delta would never/hasn't ever had someone forcibly removed.

OHDL1 Apr 11, 2017 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Widgets (Post 28163179)

And some do....it's that d*** consistency thing again....

tgsh2006 Apr 11, 2017 3:15 pm

Scored $1,200 LGA-DFW by being bumped off 09:15 and taking 15:00!

acrophobia Apr 11, 2017 3:20 pm

Sorry if this is asked and answered, but when you use a voucher gained from VDB, do you earn MQDs and MQMs?