FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

flyerCO Oct 15, 2017 12:58 am

Originally Posted by Paplover (Post 28933388)
Up to now only MSP offers cards, everyone else has been vouchers. In talking to a MSP GA today she said that the card option will expand across the country. Not sure if all locations, but many. She also said they have easier time getting volunteers at MSP because of the cards and that is the driver for expanding the program.

Thats a bunch of agent BS. In fact all of my bumps in last year and half have been cards, except for one, guess where? MSP and that was last month! I love the cards. I select the AMEX and simply cash them out straight into my bank account.

kyushuman Oct 15, 2017 9:57 am

Thursday 10/12 EWR-MSP on the 17:20 flight, offered $500 voucher plus meal vouchers. Accepted, placed on the 19:30 flight. That flight needed 1 volunteer, offered $600 voucher plus meal voucher plus Renaissance EWR hotel. Accepted.
Arrived about 12 hours late but with hotel, meals, and $1100 in vouchers.
Agent said vouchers could be used together but I have doubts.
I know I have one 006- VDB voucher and one "gift card" for $500 and it's unlikely they can be combined. Anyone with experiences with this?
Also-- I love the meal vouchers situation:
MSP July 2017: After accepting a 2-hour delay due to VDB, Meal voucher given (not asked for, but given by agent)
ATL July 2017: after accepting a 24-hour delay due to VDB, requested Meal Vouchers. All 3 GAs stared blankly, and said, "we haven't done meal vouchers for years." I had meal vouchers in hand from the same day in MSP! :p
EWR 10/12/17: Not requested, but meal vouchers given for a 2- hour VDB.
Huh?

flyerCO Oct 15, 2017 10:19 am

Originally Posted by kyushuman (Post 28934865)
Thursday 10/12 EWR-MSP on the 17:20 flight, offered $500 voucher plus meal vouchers. Accepted, placed on the 19:30 flight. That flight needed 1 volunteer, offered $600 voucher plus meal voucher plus Renaissance EWR hotel. Accepted.
Arrived about 12 hours late but with hotel, meals, and $1100 in vouchers.
Agent said vouchers could be used together but I have doubts.
I know I have one 006- VDB voucher and one "gift card" for $500 and it's unlikely they can be combined. Anyone with experiences with this?
Also-- I love the meal vouchers situation:
MSP July 2017: After accepting a 2-hour delay due to VDB, Meal voucher given (not asked for, but given by agent)
ATL July 2017: after accepting a 24-hour delay due to VDB, requested Meal Vouchers. All 3 GAs stared blankly, and said, "we haven't done meal vouchers for years." I had meal vouchers in hand from the same day in MSP! :p
EWR 10/12/17: Not requested, but meal vouchers given for a 2- hour VDB.
Huh?

If you request the AMEX gift card for your card selection then can use it along with a voucher. However you can't use multiple vouchers on one ticket.

Meal vouchers technically did go away. However agents can still issue them. They have to have ability due to EU261 and requirements to issue on those covered flights. Thus the function hasn't gone away.

QDDawg Oct 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Equipment downgrade for the WIN!!!!

Today - ATL - SAN overbooked by 30!!!!

gate agent started at $1K, no takers

$2K no takers - not ONE person... I was ready to jump - but saw no one moving - he went to $3K. I was first in line:)

They got about a little over half of what they needed and then increased to $3,500.

They almost had a revolt as they started the boarding process - were at Zone 2 and a different gate agent made and announcement that due to their being an equipment change they would not honor the $3,500 and would only give $2,000 - ????????? WTH If we didn't like it we could board

About 10 of us went up to the desk and said we would board now - a quick phone call and we were all back to $3,500 - but WOW - that would have been a customer service Nightmare!!

GrayAnderson Oct 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Had a good weekend:
-$900 JFK-YYZ on Friday for a 4-hour delay (I bit at $700 but they needed two so it went to $900 to try and wedge someone else out of their seat). Then the replacement flight went into IRROPS (3+ hour delay) and things got messy due to Delta's IT. All I'll say is that it has worked out in the end.
-$500 YUL-ATL this morning, plus a breakfast voucher since I would be missing out on breakfast onboard. I actually got to the counter before they could start up the bilingual part of the announcement, with...rather a bit of enthusiasm causing them to say "...and it looks like we won't need to translate that into French." $500 does seem to be the standard for YUL. I was able to exchange YUL-ATL for YUL-LGA-ATL, too, which...well, I'm on a status challenge, and where I was booked for five segments this weekend I've knocked out 8.

flyerCO Oct 16, 2017 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 28939183)
Had a good weekend:
-$900 JFK-YYZ on Friday for a 4-hour delay (I bit at $700 but they needed two so it went to $900 to try and wedge someone else out of their seat). Then the replacement flight went into IRROPS (3+ hour delay) and things got messy due to Delta's IT. All I'll say is that it has worked out in the end.
-$500 YUL-ATL this morning, plus a breakfast voucher since I would be missing out on breakfast onboard. I actually got to the counter before they could start up the bilingual part of the announcement, with...rather a bit of enthusiasm causing them to say "...and it looks like we won't need to translate that into French." $500 does seem to be the standard for YUL. I was able to exchange YUL-ATL for YUL-LGA-ATL, too, which...well, I'm on a status challenge, and where I was booked for five segments this weekend I've knocked out 8.

Make sure Westjet flights count. AFAIK there's no DL service to LGA.

dberke Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm

On Sunday LAX-SEA was overbooked by 7, so I took $700 to fly the next morning. The agent told me I'd be receiving an email where I could select which gift card I wanted, but I have not seen the email yet (yes, I've checked my spam folder).

To make things more interesting, I noticed a Delta eCredit in my wallet on the website with the same date and amount, but it is listed as "CLOSED". Maybe this indicates that it's been "forwarded" to the gift card issuer?

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get this email? Last year when I took a VDB, they issued a printed voucher at the gate, so this gift card thing is all new to me.

Thanks,
DB

Spent_All_My_Miles Oct 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dberke (Post 28944613)
On Sunday LAX-SEA was overbooked by 7, so I took $700 to fly the next morning. The agent told me I'd be receiving an email where I could select which gift card I wanted, but I have not seen the email yet (yes, I've checked my spam folder).

To make things more interesting, I noticed a Delta eCredit in my wallet on the website with the same date and amount, but it is listed as "CLOSED". Maybe this indicates that it's been "forwarded" to the gift card issuer?

Does anyone know how long it typically takes to get this email? Last year when I took a VDB, they issued a printed voucher at the gate, so this gift card thing is all new to me.

Thanks,
DB

I twice did VDBs this year in the same manner as you, and both times a closed e-credit appeared in my account, for $1 less than the agreed-upon amount, very quickly (same day, maybe faster). I thought that the e-mails also arrived same-day, maybe somewhat quicker than that.

I would call if it has been two days. Note that you cannot redeem the cert for 72 hours after receiving it (presumably for fraud reasons).

GrayAnderson Oct 17, 2017 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles (Post 28944816)
I twice did VDBs this year in the same manner as you, and both times a closed e-credit appeared in my account, for $1 less than the agreed-upon amount, very quickly (same day, maybe faster). I thought that the e-mails also arrived same-day, maybe somewhat quicker than that.

I would call if it has been two days. Note that you cannot redeem the cert for 72 hours after receiving it (presumably for fraud reasons).

Concerns about technical issues are why I declined a card option in favor of a voucher at JFK: Rather than it being a card-in-hand on-sight, it was going to involve going through an email and selecting which card I wanted (Amex, Amazon, etc.). If I had 100% trust in DL's IT, I would have gone for it...but I don't (as evidenced by the car crash that was my IRROPS rebooking through the app later in the day), and having paperwork in hand made me a lot more comfortable than a voucher that might go pear-shaped because of an IT glitch.

kyushuman Oct 18, 2017 10:23 am

At MSP they offer you a choice of a Delta e-gift card OR a physical gift card from a variety of retailers (AMEX, Amazon, Target, etc). But: The physical gift card is sent to your SkyMiles address, not given to you in person. I travel enough that it's a hassle to deal with the physical card, so I took the DL e-gift card.
That said, I got the email within 10 minutes of them finishing the VDB. So I would actually not wait to call.
Best of luck!
Let us know what happens. They may need to talk to the exact gate agent you worked with before giving you what you were promised.

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson (Post 28945353)
Concerns about technical issues are why I declined a card option in favor of a voucher at JFK: Rather than it being a card-in-hand on-sight, it was going to involve going through an email and selecting which card I wanted (Amex, Amazon, etc.). If I had 100% trust in DL's IT, I would have gone for it...but I don't (as evidenced by the car crash that was my IRROPS rebooking through the app later in the day), and having paperwork in hand made me a lot more comfortable than a voucher that might go pear-shaped because of an IT glitch.

GrayAnderson Oct 18, 2017 1:50 pm

Oh, I have the delta credits/vouchers already in my account...that part of the day went smoothly.

flyerCO Oct 18, 2017 9:32 pm

I always take the card. Email is in my inbox before hitting the curb on way out. Also you can select right away. I do that so I don't forget. Always take AMEX and then deposit them into my checking account.

spamkiller Oct 18, 2017 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO (Post 28949887)
I always take the card. Email is in my inbox before hitting the curb on way out. Also you can select right away. I do that so I don't forget. Always take AMEX and then deposit them into my checking account.

How do you deposit the AMEX into a checking account? It would be nice to use the gift cards to pay my Amex bill.

GrayAnderson Oct 18, 2017 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by spamkiller (Post 28950012)
How do you deposit the AMEX into a checking account? It would be nice to use the gift cards to pay my Amex bill.

The "easy" way would be to dump the cards to a spouse/SO's Paypal account (eating a 3% fee) and then dump that to a joint checking account (or to use something like Redbird or the like for a similar purpose, possibly without the fees).

(97% of a voucher cash-in-hand in some form isn't a bad deal IMO.)

flyerCO Oct 19, 2017 12:19 am

Originally Posted by spamkiller (Post 28950012)

1.5-3.0% fee depending if you swipe or key in card. (They send the reader for free)

Day after transaction, money posts