FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

NorthwestFlyer Apr 23, 2017 9:54 pm

GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. How much did ya get in Delta Dollars?

blitzcon Apr 23, 2017 10:17 pm

I overheard a request in SEA today.

SEA-DTW early afternoon needed 6 volunteers (later 2). Offer was $900 Delta credit to take a late flight same day.

Paplover Apr 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Last week I had a double bump. Orig flight had mx delay, used app for next flight which became oversold. Got $600 delta dollars and put on original delayed flight. On last leg, oversold, got $500 Amex card, hotel, food vouchers. Good day.

youvesaiditall Apr 24, 2017 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by NorthwestFlyer (Post 28220983)
GA have been giving CASH vouchers to pax in NY, LAX, DAL and tons of other cities. How much did ya get in Delta Dollars?

$800 DL dollars. (to arrive 2 hours later at PHF rather than ORF). While I would always prefer "cash", I spend enough on DL through the year that I don't mind the delta voucher.

arkangel Apr 24, 2017 4:06 pm

Just curious - wouldn't the cash option be taxable, thus reducing its overall value?

kavok Apr 24, 2017 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by arkangel (Post 28224763)
Just curious - wouldn't the cash option be taxable, thus reducing its overall value?

That kind of gets into a gray area... generally the awarded cash-back or miles are considered "discounts" and thus officially you are being discounted $X from your flight (and potentially other future subsequent flights) with airline X. I guess theoretically if the the cash received exceeded the amount spent with airline X over the year, than the IRS could have a case with you... but I don't believe (could be wrong) that the airlines report the cash awarded amounts to the IRS.

As far as value, that is all in the eyes of the beholder. For instance, a taxable $100 may still be more valuable to someone than $500 delta dollars if they have no intention of flying in the next 12 months.

plinth857 Apr 25, 2017 5:50 am

Originally Posted by arkangel (Post 28224763)

I believe the IRS considers the purchase of an airline ticket a contract for carriage between locations PLUS the potential for another flight if the airline fails to provide the original flight. It is seen by the IRS as a "bundle of services", thus any compensation provided is part of that bundle and thus not taxable.

This article explains it pretty well:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....ation-taxable/

Duke787 Apr 25, 2017 6:38 am

Took a VDB on AUS - DTW on Sunday afternoon. They were offering $600 for getting home on the same day or more if travel was for the next day. Got them to give me $1000 and a hotel since next flight to RDU was the next day.

Then they ended up overselling AUS - RDU yesterday so took another $500 + lunch voucher to get on the AUS - DTW - RDU flight last night. So in total $1500 Delta Dollars to eventually end up on the same route home 24 hours later.

No issue on my end with it being Delta Dollars vs. cash, we've got a number of flights coming up so it'll easily get used.

McGowan06 Apr 27, 2017 8:24 am

On Monday morning, offer was $1000 DL dollars for the 8 am SJC-LAS flight. I took that and was confirmed in first for the 12:45 flight that afternoon. Most I've ever gotten for a VDB.

Ordhater Apr 30, 2017 12:04 pm

Sunday morning SLC - ATL oversold by 7. $800 in Delta dollars to take a flight 3 hours later.

lovefly88 Apr 30, 2017 5:57 pm

Does DL oversell on regional jets?

suvayanr Apr 30, 2017 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 28249656)
Does DL oversell on regional jets?

Definitely. Also in the heat, they're prone to weight/balance issues

lovefly88 Apr 30, 2017 6:07 pm

If a flight is Y0 does that likely mean oversold or just even?

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 28249663)
Definitely. Also in the heat, they're prone to weight/balance issues

suvayanr Apr 30, 2017 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by lovefly88 (Post 28249686)
If a flight is Y0 does that likely mean oversold or just even?

Depends. What is F looking like? I've been on many flights where Y0 just means the flight is even and I've been on other flights where that means it's oversold.

lovefly88 Apr 30, 2017 6:32 pm

No F. Single class on a regional plane.

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 28249702)
Depends. What is F looking like? I've been on many flights where Y0 just means the flight is even and I've been on other flights where that means it's oversold.