FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

Ventures May 31, 00 9:22 am

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019]

Moderator Note:
This thread is now closed and the 2020 and beyond version of this thread can be found here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...20-beyond.html

I volunteered to be bumped off an international Delta flight over the weekend from a business class seat. I know that compensation varies, but was wonderring what kind of compensation others have gotten. Rather than stay in Europe overnight, I had then re-route me through another European city and was sent there in economy and back to the US in business.

belle3388 May 31, 00 11:00 am

u meant u were bumped from biz, and u took a coach on the next flight instead? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif

Tomphot May 31, 00 11:32 am

They couldn't pay me enough to do that!

Ventures May 31, 00 12:25 pm

They bumped me from business BCN-JFK, they then flew me in coach from BCN-ZRH, and business from ZRH-JFK..they compensated me with a 1000 USD travel voucher.

jeffreyt May 31, 00 12:35 pm

This is extremely generous compensation since it effectively gives you a free round trip in Biz Elite using a system wide to many European cities. I recently used a systemwide and flew BE to LGW for $968.00. The great thing about the compensation is that you can apply it to as many tickets as it was last for (e.g. if you buy one ticket for $500, you still have $500 left to apply to another ticket). By willing to sit in coach for a intra-European flight and then business over the ocean, I'd do it for half that much in a heart beat.

ChrisMoss7 May 31, 00 3:35 pm

It may be better than you think! You may have been booked in revenue Biz. That generates a 25% bonus which means 1,000 miles JFK - ZRH plus the 500 or more miles from the extra segment (if it was a DL coded flight to ZRH). Even if you didn't get that, you got the ZRH - JFK double miles promotion.

Were you bumped to accomodate a Biz class pasenger or was it because they oversold coach?

CM

Ventures Jun 1, 00 5:40 am

They oversold coach, so i volunteered eventhough I was in Biz class. I guess you are referring to the AA promotion of double miles?

[This message has been edited by Ventures (edited 06-02-2000).]

Tute84 Jun 1, 00 2:59 pm

That was a great deal. I would have accepted in a heartbeat.

ChrisMoss7 Jun 1, 00 4:45 pm

Ventures - Not an AA bonus that I am talking about. Double DL miles JFK - ZRH. Just did that route last weekend. It credited instantly when my flight did.

CMoss

Ventures Jun 5, 00 9:01 am

The flight I was on was not a DL codeshare, but rather an AA codeshare. Let's see if I get credited.

ChrisMoss7 Jun 5, 00 12:36 pm

I would ask/demand politely for the base miles and elite level miles (if applicable) to be credited to your Delta account but you probably won't get the bonus.

JRF Jun 8, 00 5:15 am

I think you did quite well. The difference between business class and coach intra Europe is minimal. If you are lucky the seat is a tiny bit bigger and the food in on china instead of plastic. In most cases, all you get is a free newspaper.

A few weeks ago I was flying from JFK to DUB in coach. The entire flight was oversold (coach and business) and I would up taking an $800 travel voucher and flew from JFK to Manchester to Dublin. I arrived 3 hours later then originally planned in Dublin, and it was early Sunday morning. I also managed to get a business class seat on the flight to Manchester and a business class fare so I earned the mileage bonus.

I think all in all you did well. This was the first time I voluntarily upgraded, and would probably do it again so long as it was a re-route and not a stop-over, although on a weekend I would consider lots of options for $800 to 1000.

johnlee Jun 12, 00 4:48 pm

On a related topic, when you use a Delta travel voucher (obtained from being voluntarily bumped), do you earn Skymiles? I figured that as long as at least part of the trip was paid, you would earn miles (i.e., use a $500 voucher and $100 of your own money for a $600 flight). Anyone know?

Damian Jun 12, 00 5:12 pm

Travel voucher obtained from being voluntarily bumped works like $$ and earn 100% of the miles.

jwhite4 Jul 25, 00 4:28 pm

Can I get an upgrade certificate as part of bump compensation?

Previously written about, but as background:
- was on a DL JFK-LAX flight
- flight was oversold, offered to be bumped
- was rebooked in BE class for next flight
- next flight was also overbooked, but girlfriend didn't want to offer this time, afraid of losing BE seats

Questions:
- What would have happened on rebooking for 3rd flight if we were bumped:
Would they have seen we were booked in BE, and try to put use there again?
Or, would they have sees original ticket (1st flight) was coach, and not worry too much if BE not available? 2nd ticket was rebooked (from what I've heard) incorrectly as J class (paying BE), vs V/Z (?), an upgrade.
- If we did go back down to coach, is there any extra compensation we could have asked for? I was thinking (after the fact) maybe an upgrade certificate, so that we could get back into BE (or F/C where applicable) on another flight.
If so, what exactly should I have asked for? Our BE upgrade would have been transcontinental. Since most other DL flights require a change of planes, I think I'd want something that would cover a multi-segment flight, not just an 800-1000 mile upgrade. Also, would prefer it to be on any fare, not a restricted set (our original tickets were $209RT webfare ones). Does such an upgrade exist?

Thanks for any input.

Jeff

djbaruch Jul 29, 00 9:53 am

I think that your girlfriend had the right idea, take the BE seats offered for the next flight and be happy with the compensation. Remember, you volunteered to wait, your description of the situtation does not say that you were involuntarily denied boarding. This is especially true given the fare basis you quoted. Delta's obligation was to get you to your destination for those segments, the return trip would still be subject to the terms of your original ticket purchase. In my opinion you were treated fairly given your decisions.

pjs Feb 5, 01 7:56 pm

Volunteer/Did I Get Good Compensation?

Last Friday afternoon, I was booked on a flight from ATL to PBI. We were offered $450 and a confirmed seat on a flight 4 hours later. I figured $450 could be a free ticket to Europe or possibly 2 tix within the US. To my surprise, they actually used my seat. Then I tried to stand-by on the next flight 2 hours later. Despite being overbooked by 40 people, changing the equipment from a 764 to a 763, and having the s/b list closed at 50 or so names, I somehow got an aisle seat on this flight, 30 rows closer to the front than my original seat on the earlier flight. Just for the record, I am a former SM and just starting to fly Delta again regularly due to business in ATL. Should I have asked for some upgrades as well, or be happy with what I got? Also, do volunteers from earlier flights get some sort of priority on stand-by lists? If so, that would influence my decisions to volunteer in the future.

NoStressHere Feb 5, 01 8:20 pm

$450 for either 4 hours delay is over $100 per hour. Then our course, yours was only 2 hours, so that comes to $225 per hour. And, that is AFTER taxes. Not a bad deal.

As to a trip to Europe? Maybe, maybe not. But it is $450 towards the next trip.

Good deal.

Tolarian Wind Feb 5, 01 8:30 pm

You did fine. That's more than they offer most of the time.

I got 350.00 for giving up my Comair seat yesterday mco/tpa and took the next flight.

The most I have ever gotten on DL was 500.00 this fall giving up my seat ATL/FLL and going in to PBI (where my car was anyway!)

TW

Mike_9691 Feb 5, 01 11:02 pm

Believe it or not - I got $1500 last fall for an Atlanta to Memphis flight! The ticket only cost me $106 ROUND TRIP - go figure...

Robert Leach Feb 6, 01 12:25 am

To answer the other question regarding standby status, you do receive a higher priority for standby if you were on a cancelled flight, so I would think you probably do if you were bumped as well. I think the general rule is that an inconvenienced passenger is accommodated at a higher priority than someone who is simply doing an elective standby.

NoStressHere Feb 6, 01 7:18 am

What you paid for your orginal ticket, freebie, L fare or whatever really has nothing to do with the dollars offered. They need the seat and assign a dollar value based on people they need to get on the plane. An available seat has the same value, no matter what you had previously paid.

Spiff Feb 6, 01 8:04 am

You did great. Due to missing a connection, I was trying to get to PBI on all those oversold flights. Standing by sucks. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

Aubie Feb 6, 01 12:00 pm

If you volunteer to give up your seat, and the airline accepts, here is a brief list of what you should ask for:

1) Voucher for volunteering (of course).
2) CONFIRMED seat on the next available flight of ANY airline(full-fare).
3) Upgrade if available, if not, waitlist to upgrade.
4) Meal voucher for use at the airport.
5) Free phone call (if you have anyone to call).

The confirmed seat is most important. If the next flight is also overbooked, then you might even get another voucher! But if you settle for going standby on the next flight, not only will you not get on an overbooked flight, you will not get any additional bumps. I once read where someone got bumped 4 times in one day! What a roll they were on.

jwhite4 Feb 6, 01 1:01 pm

If the wait until the next flight is a long one, I would also ask for a pass to the airline's lounge (most of them sell day passes, so should also be able to give you one).

Last summer my girlfriend and I offered to be bumped from an 8:30a JFK-LAX flight. Next flight wasn't until 2:50p (on DL also, no other airlines had anything better). We did get updated to BusinessElite class, which allowed us to get into the BE lounges. It made waiting the ~5hrs MUCH better (almost hated to get onto the plane!). In fact, we were in the lounge almost too long. Had we got to the gate a little sooner for the rebooked flight, we could have volunteered for that one as well, as it was also overbooked.

If I ever get bumped again, and have to wait more than 2hrs or so for the next flight, I'll remember to also ask for access to the lounge.

Jeff

gator21 Feb 6, 01 2:14 pm

Originally posted by Aubie:
If you volunteer to give up your seat, and the airline accepts, here is a brief list of what you should ask for:

1) Voucher for volunteering (of course).
2) CONFIRMED seat on the next available flight of ANY airline(full-fare).
3) Upgrade if available, if not, waitlist to upgrade.
4) Meal voucher for use at the airport.
5) Free phone call (if you have anyone to call).

Aubie is right on with this list!

A year or so ago, I was on an ATL-CVG flight in FC. The CVG airport had been closed due to snow and had many flight crews in ATL which needed to get back to work the flights out of CVG. DL need to put 25 FA on the flight and needed 12 volunteers. The PSR came on board and started the bidding out at $200 and a flight out the next morning (this was a 6:00pm flight). No one moved until he upped it to $300. He was still 2 people short at $400 when he whispered to the FC passengers that we could get off and be put on the 7:30pm flight in FC. I was off the plane in a dash. The PSR pulled me aside, rebooked me on the next flight in FC, gave me a meal voucher and $450 in Delta dollars. Easiest money I ever made. Paid for 3 of the 4 tickets I need that summer to FLL for a cruise!

LorettaG Feb 6, 01 2:17 pm

Aubie - perfect, short, sweet and simple as that! Thanks!

B747-437B Feb 6, 01 3:07 pm

Just a caution though. Even though they may agree to something and promise it, they don't always deliver. I know of multiple instances where the people were promised upgrades and confirmed seats on the next flight out just to get them off the flight and wound up holding standby coach tickets and a $5 meal voucher.

Spiff Feb 6, 01 3:20 pm

If they try to get you to go standby, counter with "what flight am I confirmed on?" The very next flight might be oversold as well, but you could probably try to standby for it and as a now "distressed passenger", you'd be quite high on the list. However, since you are entitled to a confirmed seat on the next available flight, even if it's a competitor, even if it's F, when you're involuntarily denied boarding so you ought to be able to receive this consideration if you volunteer. Don't accept standby, it's not the way to travel when you're doing the airline a favor.

------------------
"Sire, it is not a revolt. It is a Revolution!"

[This message has been edited by Spiff (edited 02-06-2001).]

billythekid Feb 6, 01 4:30 pm

Here here, Spiff.

When I got bumped over Thanksgiving (and absolutely *had* to get the next flight to ATL to catch my connection to Amsterdam), I told the CR agent that I wouldn't accept the bump until I had a boarding pass for the next flight in my hand.

In 12 months (12/99-12/00), I received a total of $1800 in travel vouchers from Delta (including [email protected]$350 in one day!). I can't complain!

happywanderer Oct 23, 01 10:38 am

Change in Voluntary Bump Compensation

ATL/BWI heavily oversold on 10/21 and gate agents were offering $400 DBC with a confirmed reservation early afternoon on 10/22 -- about a 15-hour delay from the original arrival time. I asked about the compensation schedule DL published in May and was told that $400 is tops now, even if delay exceeds 12 hours. Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750. Having no real need to get to BWI late evening I accepted the $400 offer (as did 9 others). Anybody heard that this is the new protocol?

seawolf Oct 23, 01 11:26 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
ATL/BWI heavily oversold on 10/21 and gate agents were offering $400 DBC with a confirmed reservation early afternoon on 10/22 -- about a 15-hour delay from the original arrival time. I asked about the compensation schedule DL published in May and was told that $400 is tops now, even if delay exceeds 12 hours. Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750. Having no real need to get to BWI late evening I accepted the $400 offer (as did 9 others). Anybody heard that this is the new protocol?</font>
Friend travelling MSY-ATL on 10/21 got $600 for VDB.

jwhite4 Oct 23, 01 11:32 am

Can someone comment on what would have been the compensation in this case for being involuntarily bumped (vs. offering)? That might help to put things in perspective.

Other than that, two comments:

1. Given some of the other cutbacks DL is doing (meal service, CRC closures), cutting back on DBC is not surprising.

2. With most airlines flight schedules 20%+ less than 6 wks ago, my guess is many people are not surprised by flights being overbooked. They might be a little more inclined to accept the reduced offerings, figuring they are lucky to at least get onto a flight eventually.

Jeff

B747-437B Oct 23, 01 1:04 pm

AFAIK, this is done on a stationwise basis now. Each station may set its own policy about the maximum bump compensation, but may not EXCEED the guidelines provided. In other words, if you can talk them down to $50 and a bicycle ride, go for it.

wcj1 Oct 23, 01 3:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by happywanderer:
Under the May compensation schedule, DBC would have been $750.</font>
Is this schedule online anywhere?

Thanks,
BillJ

Russ21Atl Oct 23, 01 6:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
AFAIK, this is done on a stationwise basis now. Each station may set its own policy about the maximum bump compensation, but may not EXCEED the guidelines provided.....</font>
B747-437B
Sorry to correct you, but the new temporary limit is $400 for voluntarily denied boarding compensation. This is systemwide, and applies to DL mainline flts; DLX and DL Connection Carriers will still adhere to their respective DBC programs.

For the person who said their friend trvlg MSY-ATL on 10/21 got $600, I can't speak for MSY, but an internal memo dated 10/13/01 said:
"No vouchers should be issued for greater than $400 for any reason."

At any rate...there you go.

-------------------------------------------
The information I provide is in no way the authoritative voice of Delta. I do not work for Corporate Communications, nor in Customer Care. I do not represent the final word for Delta when asked a question. I simply try to answer questions to the best of my knowledge, and try to direct people to the correct answer and/or point them in the right direction to find that answer. If you want to double check my answers, please go to http://www.delta.com/care/email/index.jsp

Thank you for letting me participate. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Russ21Atl (edited 10-23-2001).]

happywanderer Oct 23, 01 6:56 pm

Thanks for setting the record straight, Russ. The important thing to me is that everybody plays under the same rules.

B747-437B Oct 23, 01 7:04 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Russ21Atl:
I can't speak for MSY, but an internal memo dated 10/13/01 said:
"No vouchers should be issued for greater than $400 for any reason."
</font>
Russ - my info was from October 6 when I got bumped at MCO and was informed that it was a station specific policy at that time. The memo you refer to was obviously distributed subsequent to that.

Russ21Atl Oct 24, 01 3:37 pm

Well, guess what? The maximum is back to $750.

I feel like I'm on a see-saw. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

wcj1 Oct 24, 01 4:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Russ21Atl:
Well, guess what? The maximum is back to $750.</font>
Is their a set of guidelines for $ amount vs amount of time? Just curious...

BillJ