FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

fjord Sep 3, 2014 3:10 pm

OGG-LAX oversold by 6. Got $600 for it. Beachfront hotel + transportation. :D

NorthWoods1 Sep 3, 2014 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 23469323)
My experience as well. I have used vouchers totaling in the neighbourhood of five figures since the merger and have always received full SM and MQM with all status/route/promotional bonuses.

You can only use one voucher per single traveler ticket purchase. I have been able to use more when I book others onto the same PNR as me.

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff (Post 23469227)
You should receive full miles and MQD's (if you care about those) when using vouchers. They're treated like cash. The only restrictions to vouchers typically are that they cannot be combined or used for other travelers - YMMV.

Great! Thank you for the replies!

pnq91 Sep 3, 2014 10:37 pm

Was on a DTW-PIT flight on a Barbie Jet oversold by 3 about a month or two ago. Was offered $600 by the agent plus an overnight voucher. Took it and arrived on the first flight the next morning. My guess from looking at the crowd there was a lot of connecting traffic from European and Asian flights.

FWIW This has been the only time I've had the bidding screen show up at check in and a GA actually needed volunteers

LA2CDG Sep 4, 2014 3:10 am

Originally Posted by bholcomb (Post 23469165)
Had TUL-ATL-LAX booked last Thursday 8/28 in the evening. TUL-ATL oversold, they offered $1000 for VDB. Did TUL-SLC-LAX and got upgraded SLC-LAX and got into LAX 2 hours earlier. Worth missing out on some MQM's.

I think you can call in and ask for ORC, original routing credit.

sethb Sep 4, 2014 5:19 am

Usually on a VDB they won't give ORC. (You might be able to negotiate it as part of your compensation.)

tentseller Sep 4, 2014 7:43 am

Originally Posted by LA2CDG (Post 23471913)
I think you can call in and ask for ORC, original routing credit.

ORC is only given out for irrop reroutes. The new party line is you VOLUNTEERED to accept a different routing and received VDB compensation for it.

DerikG Sep 4, 2014 8:21 am

MSP - ROC

Aug 28th - MSP-ROC was oversold by 4 and my family of four got $600 per and put on the MSP - BUF.

Net net we got to our destination 30minutes prior to our original flight. :)

sethb Sep 5, 2014 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 23472820)
ORC is only given out for irrop reroutes. The new party line is you VOLUNTEERED to accept a different routing and received VDB compensation for it.

I would ask for ORC on IDB (not that I'm likely to ever get IDB).

Crossin Jordan Sep 6, 2014 8:25 am

Originally Posted by tentseller (Post 23472820)

Not true. Oversold flight for me recently out of ORD and I volunteered for a different flight and routing on AA. I expected to have to request ORC later but was pleased to see ORC posted to my sm account automatically within the usual time period.

tentseller Sep 6, 2014 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Crossin Jordan (Post 23483900)
Not true. Oversold flight for me recently out of ORD and I volunteered for a different flight and routing on AA. I expected to have to request ORC later but was pleased to see ORC posted to my sm account automatically within the usual time period.

KenfromDE Sep 7, 2014 4:43 pm

VDB 1st Standy on next flight

Son of Ken got $500 and was #1 of 16 standbys on next flight an hour later. Made window seat on the flight. Is it normal to put a VDB at the head of the line?

Mauibaby2008 Sep 7, 2014 5:53 pm

Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding

NYC > SLC ... Originally offered $600 which I accepted. Last minute they bumped it up to $700 for how excited I was to be receiving the $600 in the first place lol

Rsharp76 Sep 7, 2014 10:30 pm

Hey guys, does anyone normally let the desk know you are willing to be bumped if needed? I fly mostly for leisure so my schedule is always pretty fluid. Just wondering how to be selected. Thanks!

sethb Sep 8, 2014 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Rsharp76 (Post 23491092)
Hey guys, does anyone normally let the desk know you are willing to be bumped if needed? I fly mostly for leisure so my schedule is always pretty fluid. Just wondering how to be selected. Thanks!

If it's close, the kiosk normally asks at check-in (and/or there's a note on the board). I'll let the GA know when I think the chances are reasonable; if the display shows dozens of available seats I won't bother.

Rsharp76 Sep 8, 2014 8:13 am

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 23492040)
If it's close, the kiosk normally asks at check-in (and/or there's a note on the board). I'll let the GA know when I think the chances are reasonable; if the display shows dozens of available seats I won't bother.

That makes sense, thanks.