FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

OHDL1 Aug 7, 2014 6:57 am

Originally Posted by rwoman (Post 23318471)
Wow - that's a nice amount for pretty short flight! Probably one of the higher amounts I've seen given out.

:)

The max IDB amount....just happens to be $1300. Delta would prefer to pay that amount in a voucher instead of a check....and it doesn't have to be reported to DOT. So, you might see this amount for VDB more often when the holidays get closer.

channa Aug 7, 2014 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1 (Post 23324396)
...and it doesn't have to be reported to DOT.

It still is reported to the DOT, just in a different column. Both VDBs and IDBs are reported.

From a policymaking standpoint, DOT is less concerned about VDBs, but it is still reported.

SchmeckFlyer Aug 9, 2014 7:04 pm

Requesting VDB for SEA-AMS flight

Thought I would post my question in this thread (rather than start a new one).

I am flying SEA-AMS (second flight of the day) on Monday (August 11th). Due to schedule changes I can stay a few extra days in Seattle, but my ticket is not changeable unfortunately (was a last minute booking). I'm hoping for an auction at OLCI or at bag drop-off/gate at the airport.

But if there is no auction: how do Delta agents at the airport respond to "requests" for denied boarding? Is it frowned upon or, if done politely, do they appreciate it? Or is it entirely futile? I am willing to bid $0 and a guaranteed/confirmed seat on a later flight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

FlyinHawaiian Aug 9, 2014 7:28 pm

They were offering $1,000 for today's JFK-NRT flight; don't know if they got any takers.

18sas Aug 9, 2014 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by SchmeckFlyer (Post 23337871)
Thought I would post my question in this thread (rather than start a new one).

I am flying SEA-AMS (second flight of the day) on Monday (August 11th). Due to schedule changes I can stay a few extra days in Seattle, but my ticket is not changeable unfortunately (was a last minute booking). I'm hoping for an auction at OLCI or at bag drop-off/gate at the airport.

But if there is no auction: how do Delta agents at the airport respond to "requests" for denied boarding? Is it frowned upon or, if done politely, do they appreciate it? Or is it entirely futile? I am willing to bid $0 and a guaranteed/confirmed seat on a later flight.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Well they will only VDB if they need to, and there will be some sort of announcement at the gate if they do.

But there are only two real outcomes of letting them know that you'll volunteer in the event you haven't heard an announcement:

1) They'll tell you they won't need anyone, but thanks anyway. (They may be annoyed. But if they are, then they are probably annoyed by most questions that people ask gate agents.)

2) They'll tell you that they may need people. And when you tell them that you are willing to do it for $0, you'll be their new best friend.

Lots of people make a habit of volunteering for VDB, like the BumpMeVoucherMe guy, so GAs get unsolicited volunteers pretty routinely. It pretty much comes with the territory, along with people asking about switching seats, where they are on the upgrade list, if their standby has cleared, etc.

lamont2718 Aug 22, 2014 10:20 am

I had a roller coaster VDB experience at SFO last night. I was booked on a C fare on the last flight to JFK. The agent at check-in said they would definitely need volunteers since the flight was overbooked by 9. Interested, I spoke to the GA at T-60, and she offered a $500 voucher + hotel voucher + a rebooked seat in C on SFO-JFK the next morning. I accepted the offer, and she told me to hang around and not board. Of course I would have preferred to get the voucher and head to the hotel right away, but I understood that it was still early, so I just sat and waited in the gate area.

At T-15, the GA paged me -- "Mr. lamont2718? We don't need you anymore." Apparently they didn't need any volunteers due to several no-shows. I was very surprised (and a little disappointed) given that they were initially overbooked by 9, but I thanked her and promptly boarded with Zone 2.

At T-5, after I had settled into my seat with eyemask and headphones and neck pillow and all, a trio of 2 GAs and 1 redcoat ran onboard. One tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Mr. lamont2718? We need you now!" I was in a state of amused disbelief but happily gathered my things pronto and scurried off the plane as the rest of J stared. "We'll miss you!" the astonished FA cried out to me as they closed the 2L door. :D

The $500 voucher isn't remarkable as far as VDB comp goes, but all the unexpected twists and turns certainly made this the most dramatic VDB experience I've ever had. The best part -- I discovered upon boarding my rebooked SFO-JFK this morning flight that we are on a refurbished 75S with flat-bed BE seats! :eek:

tentseller Aug 22, 2014 11:37 am

I had a few last flight of the day VDB where the GA gave me my vouchers and I was able to head out for shut-eye as soon as I volunteered and other made you wait until the flight has closed.

sethb Aug 22, 2014 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by lamont2718 (Post 23406459)
At T-5, after I had settled into my seat with eyemask and headphones and neck pillow and all, a trio of 2 GAs and 1 redcoat ran onboard. One tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Mr. lamont2718? We need you now!"

That's when you ask for $600.

langbr01 Aug 22, 2014 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 23407437)
That's when you ask for $600.

+1 :D

sngorman Aug 29, 2014 11:21 pm

Wife and I got $600 each for giving up our seats on the LAX-SEA flight last night. They rebooked us onto AS 2 hours later. I was surprised there were no issues since she is traveling on my Amex companion certificate.

sethb Aug 30, 2014 6:04 am

Originally Posted by sngorman (Post 23447000)
Wife and I got $600 each for giving up our seats on the LAX-SEA flight last night. They rebooked us onto AS 2 hours later. I was surprised there were no issues since she is traveling on my Amex companion certificate.

When they need VDB, the GA doesn't generally have any reason to care about the kind of ticket.

NorthWoods1 Sep 3, 2014 2:31 pm

Hi there, I had a voluntary bump for $1000 from MSP-IAH taking the light 12 hours later. Can anyone give me a definitive answer for receiving miles when using the voucher? I've heard I will NOT receive miles when using the voucher for purchasing a flight ticket.

bholcomb Sep 3, 2014 2:35 pm

Had TUL-ATL-LAX booked last Thursday 8/28 in the evening. TUL-ATL oversold, they offered $1000 for VDB. Did TUL-SLC-LAX and got upgraded SLC-LAX and got into LAX 2 hours earlier. Worth missing out on some MQM's.

clr4t8koff Sep 3, 2014 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by NorthWoods1 (Post 23469143)
Hi there, I had a voluntary bump for $1000 from MSP-IAH taking the light 12 hours later. Can anyone give me a definitive answer for receiving miles when using the voucher? I've heard I will NOT receive miles when using the voucher for purchasing a flight ticket.

You should receive full miles and MQD's (if you care about those) when using vouchers. They're treated like cash. The only restrictions to vouchers typically are that they cannot be combined or used for other travelers - YMMV.

tentseller Sep 3, 2014 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by NorthWoods1 (Post 23469143)

Originally Posted by clr4t8koff (Post 23469227)
You should receive full miles and MQD's (if you care about those) when using vouchers. They're treated like cash. The only restrictions to vouchers typically are that they cannot be combined or used for other travelers - YMMV.

My experience as well. I have used vouchers totaling in the neighbourhood of five figures since the merger and have always received full SM and MQM with all status/route/promotional bonuses.

You can only use one voucher per single traveler ticket purchase. I have been able to use more when I book others onto the same PNR as me.