FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

pvn Apr 25, 2018 7:23 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29681479)
Sweet! Congrats! Now where are the posters above who called me out for saying the GA in ATL was cheap for offering $300 for a 3 hour delay, or $100 per hour...this customer received $750 an hour! :)

Nobody was confused about the fact that sometimes people get more.

tentseller Apr 25, 2018 2:39 pm

It is a free market, supply vs demand. There is no fix $/hr algorithm. Just offer enough within one's authority to get the flight out of without doing any IDB.

sethb Apr 25, 2018 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by outoftown (Post 29680798)
I think I have all of you beat. I received a $600 voucher for taking an earlier flight. I knew my RDU-ATL flight was oversold, was the first and only person there to talk to GA 1 hour prior. She put me as #1 on the volunteer list but then offered the RDU-ATL flight currently boarding at the next gate. I asked if there would be compensation for taking it and she said no, so I said I would just hang out and take the bump. She then offered me the voucher to get on the earlier flight, so I did. My third $600 voucher this year and first ever for taking an earlier flight.

-outoftown

Maybe. I only got $500, but the earlier flight was a nonstop rather than a connection to a redeye, on a mileage run, and I got ORC.

sethb Apr 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 29681210)
How new is the rule of not offering bumps until after the door closes? I was offered a bump last November before boarding even started. In fact I was first in line at the gate agent desk when they opened about 1 hour before departure. I was offered the bump well before boarding started - actually just after they opened.

That was under the new rule. When did they process the compensation? Was a redcoat involved?

fti Apr 26, 2018 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 29683777)
That was under the new rule. When did they process the compensation? Was a redcoat involved?

Compensation was processed when they told me they needed me - at least 1 hour before flight departure and well before boarding started. No red coat was involved, just one of the two gate agents.

blitzcon Apr 26, 2018 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by blitzcon (Post 29182595)
It helps to ask nicely!

I was flying MSN-ATL-LAS on a Tuesday. An earlier MSN-DTW flight was delayed, pushing MSN-ATL over by at least 2, and I was offered to bid at check-in. A very helpful check-in agent was already updating my itinerary as I was checking a bag. She offered me MSN-MSP-LAS in confirmed first class, getting in earlier! I said that sounds great but is there any chance my bid would still apply? She said no but I still got a $200 voucher as a courtesy. I said wow and thanked her!

When my flights posted, I got full F credit (double MQM).

That was back in December but I did get the $200 voucher in hand before either my old or new flight had started boarding.

RaflW Apr 26, 2018 5:59 pm

I'm not sure if I am correct, but it looks like perhaps DL 132 had a swap from the A350 to a 777 out of DTW this evening. I'm on that route in P.E. in less than two weeks, and wondering what the procedure is in that case? The 777 has 5 more J seats, and actually has fewer C+ seats than the 350 has P.E. (and of course C+ is a downgrade). Swap to an A333 would likewise mean mostly downgrades I assume.
Would DL op-up as many as possible, and do so based on fare class priority, and then downgrade everyone else? What are the compensation options if one ends up in C+ (or worse)? I am going out of my way (could have booked MSP-AMS nonstop) to fly the A350 and check out P.E. I also have an onward connection so I'd have some challenges but could perhaps take a different flight with OpUp inventory if that is an allowed option?
Most likely everything goes smoothly, but knowledge ahead of time could help in a swap. Thanks.

sethb Apr 28, 2018 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by fti (Post 29687455)
Compensation was processed when they told me they needed me - at least 1 hour before flight departure and well before boarding started. No red coat was involved, just one of the two gate agents.

I guess I was wrong about the redcoat being required, then. Maybe some GAs know how to process early. (The one time I got compensation early, the GA called a redcoat to do it; another time, I lost out because the GA couldn't issue compensation early. The offer was $1,000 plus a connection leaving before my flight was scheduled to. When the GA couldn't do the compensation, we waited; the flight was delayed, and they rebooked people who were going to miss their connections, so no volunteers were needed.)

sethb May 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer (Post 29644450)
The last time I was VDB’d on a badly overbooked flight due to equipment downgrade from 767 to 757 and went from a connecting flight to a non-stop, the GA stated that I wouldn’t get any voucher because “DL is doing me a favor and I will be getting to my destination 2 hours earlier by going from a connecting flight to a non-stop.” (It really wasn’t a favor as I still had to wait for someone else who was actually on my original second flight and my bags went on my original flight)

"Thanks; in that case, I might as well stay on the original flight."

mot29 May 18, 2018 1:27 pm

I flew DL 164, MSP-AMS, May 17. This is at 10:06 pm, last AMS flight from central and eastern time zones and I doubt there is anything later from the west coast.
DL was looking for 2 or 3 volunteers and got them for $500 each. I was really surprised. It meant flying the next day. The offer included a hotel and meals “if MSP is not your home.” Maybe “midwestern nice” folks wanting to help out.

jjmoore May 18, 2018 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 29769287)
I flew DL 164, MSP-AMS, May 17. This is at 10:06 pm, last AMS flight from central and eastern time zones and I doubt there is anything later from the west coast.
DL was looking for 2 or 3 volunteers and got them for $500 each. I was really surprised. It meant flying the next day. The offer included a hotel and meals “if MSP is not your home.” Maybe “midwestern nice” folks wanting to help out.

Some people don't know how good of a deal can be had for a VDB on an int'l flight. Then there are others that feel $500 is a good deal given the situation. One or the other is what happened here. I now I would have passed on that deal for certain.

FlightNurse May 19, 2018 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by mot29 (Post 29769287)

Originally Posted by jjmoore (Post 29769618)
Some people don't know how good of a deal can be had for a VDB on an int'l flight. Then there are others that feel $500 is a good deal given the situation. One or the other is what happened here. I now I would have passed on that deal for certain.

If I wasn't flying in J, I would have taken the offer with the stipulation that they upgrade me to J and on the new ticket to move me in a fare bucket that would allow me to take advantage of mileage bonus.

Jay00848 May 24, 2018 7:28 pm

Sunday Night MCI-MSP oversold by 3 people, $500 gift card and flight out next day. Got my flight refunded and jumped on a southwest flight and got home same time.

scottsinct Jun 27, 2018 3:11 pm

On Monday, I was scheduled to fly PSC-MSP-EWR (paid economy, free upgraded to F on the first leg and C+ on the second leg).
PSC-MSP was oversold by 1.
Took the $500 gift card, $30 in meal vouchers, and was routed PSC-SLC-LAX-JFK (F on the first leg, C+ on the second leg, and confirmed Delta One from LAX-JFK)

linglingfool Jul 8, 2018 8:04 pm

Midweek SLC-FCA oversold by 2. GA was offering $800 when we boarded (which was toward the end of the process). No takers, GA came onboard and repeated announcement. We were holding out for at least the $1300 IDB level since everyone was already seated and no one seemed interested. In the end it sounded like she took a family of 4 off (I think paying all 4 $800) and provided a hotel. Sort of regretted not mentioning our price point, since we would've done it for less than $1600 each. (I was also somewhat influenced by the $6k that two of my family members each got on UA earlier this year for ORD-CUN.)