FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Compensation: “Bumps” — Voluntary and Involuntary Denied Boarding [2000-2019] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/49279-compensation-bumps-voluntary-involuntary-denied-boarding-2000-2019-a.html)

sethb Jan 5, 2018 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by FSUnole03 (Post 29255405)
Might be able to get VDB and re-booked in D1 on the n/s SFO-BOS flights. I'd see if that's an option so you can keep D1. I'm sure all SFO-JFK and JFK-anywhere flights are overbooked because of the storm.

You definitely want the SFO-BOS nonstop if at all possible, rather than risk getting stuck at JFK due to cancellations. (Unless you're willing to take Amtrak if that happens.)

There is a good chance they can only protect you maybe two days later, but as a DM if you're willing to wait at the airport (and especially if you're willing to downgrade) you can very likely get on an earlier flight. You should take that into consideration when deciding how much to accept.

Note that it's Delta's policy that everybody gets the highest amount, so if you accept $800 but they have to go to $1200 to get enough volunteers, you get the $1200. (I believe that policy actually saves them money, in addition to goodwill.)

Utskicat Jan 6, 2018 11:59 pm

1) Will Delta allow you to volunteer if you have downline segment on another partner airline such as Westjet? I am flying ATL-YYZ-YHZ next week (YYZ -YHZ is DL7060 operated by Westjet) and ATL-YYZ has been frequently offering VBC's lately. Would they see the WS (DL codeshare flight number) and decline?
2) If your downline connection was long enough that the next flight they protect you on, you would still connect to your original final segment, would they offer you the deal? In my experience, I doubt that the agent has time to inspect your PNR with that much detail to even know that until after the plane is gone...

jk88usa Jan 7, 2018 7:38 am

Originally Posted by Utskicat (Post 29260230)
1) Will Delta allow you to volunteer if you have downline segment on another partner airline such as Westjet? I am flying ATL-YYZ-YHZ next week (YYZ -YHZ is DL7060 operated by Westjet) and ATL-YYZ has been frequently offering VBC's lately. Would they see the WS (DL codeshare flight number) and decline?
2) If your downline connection was long enough that the next flight they protect you on, you would still connect to your original final segment, would they offer you the deal? In my experience, I doubt that the agent has time to inspect your PNR with that much detail to even know that until after the plane is gone...

Cannot answer #1 but the answer to #2 is yes, as it happened to me last year. I still got the full voucher offer and ended up connecting to my original flight in ATL as I had something like a 3 hour layover. The new flight brought my connecting time down to like 32 mins (below MCT) but the GA made it work. Oh, and he knew from the start that I wanted to make my original flight, that’s why I ended up being the only volunteer since it wouldn’t involve some complicated reroute

OHDL1 Jan 9, 2018 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by sethb (Post 29090991)
They didn't offer a connection or you didn't want one?

One airport (LGA?) told me they only offer AmEx (or other) gift cards at hubs, but ATL only offered vouchers a few weeks ago. Maybe it is per GA, whether the individual has been trained.

Starting this Thursday, Jan 11th...it's a choice of gift cards only for VDB's. All domestic stations will be offering the cards only instead of TCVs.
There are different cards for those of you with a US address and those of you with a foreign address. There are supposed to be informational flyers at the gate for both types.

LoganFlyer Jan 9, 2018 1:56 pm

That is excellent news. Thanks for sharing!

pgh234 Jan 9, 2018 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by OHDL1 (Post 29270945)
Starting this Thursday, Jan 11th...it's a choice of gift cards only for VDB's. All domestic stations will be offering the cards only instead of TCVs.
There are different cards for those of you with a US address and those of you with a foreign address. There are supposed to be informational flyers at the gate for both types.

Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??

Zorak Jan 9, 2018 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 29272792)
Oh no this is terrible news! The last thing I want is $1200 in Amazon/Kohls/etc gift cards. What the heck will I do with that? My wife and I get $6-$7K per year in VDB's to fund our constant adventures! Will one of the options be a DL gift card? Is this in writing anywhere about the change in policy??

If it's like the VDB I had in MSP a while back, in addition to a variety of retail options, you also have a choice of Delta gift cards, and generic AMEX although I think those had an expiration date or some other catch to them.

LoganFlyer Jan 9, 2018 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29272807)
If it's like the VDB I had in MSP a while back, in addition to a variety of retail options, you also have a choice of Delta gift cards, and generic AMEX although I think those had an expiration date or some other catch to them.

Correct. You can get a DL gift card with no expiration date or an Amex gift card with an expiration date of 6 months after you order the card.

sethb Jan 9, 2018 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 29272792)

I've seen different sets of options, but there's always one generic credit card type (I've seen VISA and Amex). Those have expiration dates, the store cards (the list of which varies) do not.

spamkiller Jan 9, 2018 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak (Post 29272807)

When I got the card offers, the choices included American Express and Delta. You can always take the Amex and use it to buy Delta Gift cards. Or you can use the Amex to pay some of your bills.

pgh234 Jan 10, 2018 4:00 am

I can't think of any bills that take AmEx. Overall, it seems like a much more complicated way to buy DL tickets. ECV's we're so easy to use. Isn't this worse for DL too? I imagine there will be less people that "forget" to use gift cards before expiration before they "forget" to use ECV's?

btonkid12345 Jan 10, 2018 5:15 am

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 29273613)
I can't think of any bills that take AmEx. Overall, it seems like a much more complicated way to buy DL tickets. ECV's we're so easy to use. Isn't this worse for DL too? I imagine there will be less people that "forget" to use gift cards before expiration before they "forget" to use ECV's?

Gift cards are SO MUCH better than vouchers. By a long shot.

More complicated? Lol its so hard for you to use/select a delts gift card without expiration instead of a voucher that expires in a year?

DL is implementing it because customer satisfaction scores are much higher this way. They are literally giving you cash, which you can waste on DL tickets or spend elsewhere. Do you never shop at Target etc?

Finally, as flyerco previously suggested, you can get a square account and dump uour amex gift card balance directly into your checking. Not complicated.

Please stop complaining about a real enhancement because you have to use a different form of payment for your ticket now. Seriously.

pgh234 Jan 10, 2018 6:03 am

Originally Posted by btonkid12345 (Post 29273757)
Gift cards are SO MUCH better than vouchers. By a long shot.

More complicated? Lol its so hard for you to use/select a delts gift card without expiration instead of a voucher that expires in a year?

DL is implementing it because customer satisfaction scores are much higher this way. They are literally giving you cash, which you can waste on DL tickets or spend elsewhere. Do you never shop at Target etc?

Finally, as flyerco previously suggested, you can get a square account and dump uour amex gift card balance directly into your checking. Not complicated.

Please stop complaining about a real enhancement because you have to use a different form of payment for your ticket now. Seriously.

​​​​​​1) You can lose gift cards. I have never lost an lost an ECV. They are always there waiting for me.

2) I can't think of any chain that I spend even $400 per year in (I prefer experiences over owning more crap)

3) I could get a square account and dump the money in my checking. That adds an additional step, process, and cost that I did not have to deal with on ECVs.

I am sorry that you do not allow me complain a little about a change that I do not really like. I do hope that ECV's can remain as an option.

LoganFlyer Jan 10, 2018 6:30 am

Originally Posted by pgh234 (Post 29273903)
​​​​​​1) You can lose gift cards. I have never lost an lost an ECV. They are always there waiting for me.

2) I can't think of any chain that I spend even $400 per year in (I prefer experiences over owning more crap)

3) I could get a square account and dump the money in my checking. That adds an additional step, process, and cost that I did not have to deal with on ECVs.

I am sorry that you do not allow me complain a little about a change that I do not really like. I do hope that ECV's can remain as an option.

In that case, select the DL gift card. It's not a physical card; it comes by e-mail and all transactions with it are fully electronic. And unlike ECVs, DL gift cards have no expiration date.

Ordhater Jan 10, 2018 9:36 am

Another benefit of a Delta gift card, compared to an ECV, is that it's probably transferable, so I could use it to book travel for others without having to be in the same reservation. However, I wonder if this change will lead to lower overall VDB compensation. I expect the once-a-year traveler might be more willing to jump at a VDB opportunity if they're getting a gift card, which is basically cash, rather than an ECV that they may or may not be able to use.