Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 5:48 pm

Booked on Tuesday for travel Today.

2/11 LGA-MSY
2/16 (Mon) MSY-MEM-ATL-LGA (changed 2/11 from HIGH Y to Saver F, will SDC to MSY-MEM-LGA or MSY-LGA).

2 pax in Saver F for 45K miles. There were NO Y seats for sale on this flight so savings was $1,500++/person.

One other thing to note, this is MARDI GRAS weekend in New Orleans so major, major travel to/from there.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Wanted 1 Y ticket CLT - GVA in the summer. Talk about a skills challenge!

Using ExpertFlyer, Delta.com Broken Award Calendar, and lots and lots of patience got:

June 25
CLT - JFK - MXP

July 10
CTA (on AZ) - FCO (on AZ) - BOS - DTW - CLT

This was $77 for taxes and fees. I had earlier in the day booked:

June 26
CLT - JFK (su) - SVO (su) - MXP [This would have been a very tight 90 minute connection in SVO!!!

July 10
CTA (on AZ) - FCO (on AZ) - BOS - DTW - CLT

However, the taxes and fees on this were $210

Its doable but quite a challenge to book a TransAtlantic Summer Economy Ticket on DL. I wasn't able to get it to my originally intended destination, GVA, but it was to launch an Italian vacation anyway.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 1:53 am

Programs: DELTA
Talking Msp-lhr @ 100k rt

I just returned from London where my wife and I pimped our ride for 200K for BE, RT all in on the direct MSP-LHR route. Sweet, considering DL charges 16K cash for the same seats last minute!!!

-A
Old Feb 13, 2010, 4:47 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
2 BE tix JFK-MAD over new years for 100k and ~$30 each. got the dates on the first try. Was so astounded, I booked right away, even though my plans aren't solidified.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 5:33 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Silver Elite
I was successful in booking the lowest milage economy award ticket for March 3rd through March 10th.

March 3rd: SNA-SEA-AMS-LUX on Alaska, Delta, and KLM

March 10th: LYS-CDG-SLC-SNA on Air France and Delta
Old Feb 13, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: DL PM MM SC; GE; Bonvoy Titanium; IHG Diamond
JFK-CDG-LHR and returning LHR-JFK in August. Was holding a ticket in coach for 75,000 miles but then BE for 100,000 miles opened up.
Old Feb 13, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
It is sad that we need to post success instead of failures...

A good golfer remembers his bad shots... (attention, DL insiders...)

But-

NRT-CDG, RT, J, NONSTOP, September, 120K miles.
Old Feb 14, 2010, 6:45 am

Programs: Delta 3MM/DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JoelA
Hmmm...grabbed two of these today...

MCO -> MUC 19 July

MUC -> MCO 28 July

First domestically and BE TATL low reward 100,000 each on Delta metal.

Now hopefully my wife won't make me turn them back in with "other ideas"
Just changed return for 4 Aug AMS -> MCO (via MSP) to make a nice open jaw holiday. Still for 100,000 each. No issues at all on the phone in using one of the PM "waivers". Low reward BE are out there...
Old Feb 16, 2010, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
PHX-CGKoHKGoPHX Biz award 120k

I had called in a couple of weeks ago for a PHX-CGKoHKGoPHX biz award, but the return dates were more than 331 days out. The agent at that time was helpful, and I was tempted to book what they had, and use my last free change when the dates rolled around.

I held off, and called tonight, after midnight, since I figured they shouldn't be so busy. I did mention that I had called before and the basic routing they had found.

However, I let the Plat agent find what she could and go from there she looked PHX-DTW-AMS-CGK, which I didn't think was a legal routing, but you never know. Nothing available in Biz.

She then tried PHX-MSP-NRT-ICN-CGKoHKG-NRT-MSP-PHX, and actually found Biz seats on all segments. It was, however, a "Delta" version, of 320k. I've never paid more than 220k for an award in my life, and that was a RTW, so I wasn't going to start now.

I then start suggesting the original routing I mentioned, and giving flight numbers from EF. After a lot of time on hold, and not being able to see a lot of KE flights, she came back with 160k. Not great, but closer.

I finally suggest a CI flight from CGK-HKG. Agent swears that is a codeshare. I double check EF, and say I think she's mistaken. I give her the flight numbers, etc, and finally she sees it. Only a coach seat in the date range I want, but it is 120k total. I'm pondering it, and tell her to check a bit outside the dates I told her. She finds one biz seat 4 days before, or 2 days after, so I take the 4 days before.

Since I'll have Gold elite status on DL this upcoming year, I want to take the miles out of my kids account, so pull the 120k out there, and pay the $20 booking fee. Less than $45 in taxes.

So, overall a good outcome. Without EF, and a lot of patience, it would have never happened. The total time spent was 82 minutes. The only time I've ever spent that much time on the phone with an award agent was booking a RTW.

I think the real tip here is not to fly DL on any of the legs. I'm flying AS, KE and CI on the trip. A forced overnight in ICN, but that's not so bad.

I last booked something similar (without HKG stopover) on nwa.com online. I think it took about 3 or 4 minutes.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond, 2MM; Hilton Diamond; IC Spire Ambassador
Slightly off topic of pure award seats, but I picked up the phone on Friday night and had no problem booking the following using PMU's to upgrade to BE:

MEM-ATL-SYD-ATL-MEM for December 2010
TUP-ATL-LHR-ATL-TUP for July 2010

I was able to do this getting the exact flights I wanted on the exact days I wanted for all legs.

Before folks point it out, I of course realize that I am very lucky that I can make arrangements to use PMU's far in advance, and that my plans are very unlikely to change once made. In other words, I realize that I am exactly the type of flyer for whom PMU's are a great benefit. Indeed, for the past six years or so, I am 100% booking upgraded int'l BE tickets, and I always use all of my PMU's for that purpose.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 8:26 am

3 economy Al Italia tickets for some family members around Memorial Day. BOS-FCO, FLR-FCO-BOS. Tax $62.10 each, plus $20 phone booking fee. Required calling a 2nd agent as the first claimed nothing was available. I was a little surprised at 3 seats on the same plane.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Casimir
Slightly off topic of pure award seats, but I picked up the phone on Friday night and had no problem booking the following using PMU's to upgrade to BE:

MEM-ATL-SYD-ATL-MEM for December 2010
TUP-ATL-LHR-ATL-TUP for July 2010

I was able to do this getting the exact flights I wanted on the exact days I wanted for all legs.

Before folks point it out, I of course realize that I am very lucky that I can make arrangements to use PMU's far in advance, and that my plans are very unlikely to change once made. In other words, I realize that I am exactly the type of flyer for whom PMU's are a great benefit. Indeed, for the past six years or so, I am 100% booking upgraded int'l BE tickets, and I always use all of my PMU's for that purpose.

The problem is not your plans changing but DL's. I would just keep a close eye on those flights for legal connection times and seat assignment. Congrats on the UG..even for a PMU the Aussie leg is tough.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM
How do they calculate the fees? I booked a BE multistop for 100K which I was happy about, but also got hit with fees above $100. Is there a fee per ticket or leg? The trip is in April, btw.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by stencil
How do they calculate the fees? I booked a BE multistop for 100K which I was happy about, but also got hit with fees above $100. Is there a fee per ticket or leg? The trip is in April, btw.
Some countries may have higher taxes, so it really depends on your flight. In the past 5 years I've had taxes as low as $0, and as high as $300 on a RTW.
Old Feb 16, 2010, 10:38 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, DL FO, DL MM, Marriott Gold, Hyatt platinum
MCO-DTW-NRT-BKK in J* on Delta in November, returning HKG-KUL-LAX-MCO in J* on Malaysia/Delta in December. Low award level, two passengers (*domestic segments in Y).

After days of seraching on delta.com and calling Delta, I took a stab at calling the Northwest awards desk in its waning days. The agent spent nearly 45 minutes making it work. It seemed almost miraculous after all the preceding frustration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.