Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award Ticket Success - Post It Here

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

2 Y saver tickets to DCA-YUL in July

2 F saver tickets to HNL in June 2009. One is from ATL and the other is from LAX.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by GuyverII
http://flyertalk.com/forums/showthre...ience+aeroflot

http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=641289

FYI, there is a Soviet apologist posting in those threads. Take his/her posts with a grain of salt.

Scored two BE CVG-MAD for next summer at 90K each.
Thanks, but I got the flights I want on Alitalia and Air France.
Old Aug 17, 2008, 6:08 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by spgaston

If you have flown intl F (and I haven't) I don't think you would be calling BE the same as F.

Business elite is business class, not First. The new lie flat seats on the 777 are the same as new business class seats on airlines such as CX, BA, AC, etc. Many airlines have the same lie-flat herringbone style seats in J, while still supplying an F class that is beyond J.
I was just trying to make it a bit more clear to the poster.

Yes, I know there is a large difference between Biz and First internationally.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:55 am
jrd

Programs: DL:DM HH:Gold MR:Silver
Just booked Mrs. jrd for ATL-BOM Skysaver (80k miles) from 31 Jan 2009 to 18 Feb 2009 in Y on the non-stop flights both ways. Business Elite SkySaver was also available around that time, but not exactly on the dates we wanted.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 12:11 pm

Talking Athens!

Got 3 seats to Athens for next summer on Air France through Delta skymiles.

First started online 331 days from our desired departure and put WAS-PAR-ATH seats for 50K each on hold for 3 days - one way (we don't have any status on Delta - almost all our points come from AmEx).

Then I conferred with this post
http://flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=850703
and got good advice/experience from KY Deb and El Boocho and went back to my hold seats and booked them.

I called Delta on about 333 days to our return just to check in, and the agent I spoke with was very helpful. She could see 3 seats available one day later than we were hoping to return (she tried to get them for me but couldn't - put me on hold to see what she could do) and told me to call back at 8am on 331st day to book them. I did, was on the phone for about 15 minutes at most. The agent found the seats - we booked a stopover in Paris as well (woohoo!) and got the flights I wanted.

After speaking with the agent he transferred me to an International Re-booking agent to finish things up. One thing she said was that the previous agent should have grabbed the seats before transferring me, but everything worked out fine.

The total came to about $245 per ticket - Fare $50 (?), Taxes 170.88 and Air France fee of $25. I don't think they charged me for speaking to an agent, nor did I have to do a re-deposit (perhaps because it was the same class of ticket?). Best price on these seats today is almost $5000.

All the agents I spoke with were very helpful and professional - I assume they were all in Atlanta/east coast.

D
Old Aug 18, 2008, 3:03 pm
KBN

Programs: Skymiles
Atl-bom

Atl-bom, how many miles for BC?

Last edited by KBN; Aug 19, 2008 at 8:05 am
Old Aug 24, 2008, 7:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Got two GMP-CJU BE for 30K return. People say these are great deals but I don't think so. No alcohol, short flight (45 minutes), and you are off the plane. To top it all off, KE planes have the faint odor of kimchi and sweat.
Old Aug 24, 2008, 10:39 pm

Programs: DL GM
the faint odor of kimchi and sweat.
no different than the local massage parlor, but at least you end up somewhere different than where you started (minus the smile of course).
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:12 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
4 Y tickets at 50K each from SEA-CDG on the AF nonstop. Leaving in late March and returning early April. Pretty much got the dates we wanted. $105 in taxes/fees wasn't too bad.

As I am now crediting my DL flights to AS, I was able to clean out several DL family accounts at the same time.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 6:15 am

Jeeves--was the total pp $105? Did that include fuel surcharge and partner fee? I am looking at about $240 to go from IAD-BCN on AF.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 10:03 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by marlin
Jeeves--was the total pp $105? Did that include fuel surcharge and partner fee? I am looking at about $240 to go from IAD-BCN on AF.
The cost was $105 per person, consisting of $80 in taxes/fees and a $25 partner handling fee that doesn't show up until you finalize the booking.

While I posted yesterday, I actually booked the award about a month ago. I just took a look at my same dates and flights and the taxes/fees are now $156 plus a $25 partner handling fee. As I recall, if you add a connection, the taxes/fees go up.

I must say, I was surprised by how much availability there was on AF. It looked like I could have picked any day I wanted for the months of March and April for either CDG or a connection elsewhere. Even after grabing 4 coach seats, there is still award availability on my flights.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Got two GMP-CJU BE for 30K return. People say these are great deals but I don't think so. No alcohol, short flight (45 minutes), and you are off the plane. To top it all off, KE planes have the faint odor of kimchi and sweat.
Well, a better use of those 30k would be PEK-NRT-SIN in J, that's the kind of award that is well worth it.

I have never noticed the smell you speak of on KE, but I have also never flown ultra-short haul on KE.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:37 pm

Programs: PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Gold Elite, UA 2P, Starwood Gold, Avis First, Bolt Bus $1 Rider
not sure if this is a success or not

a few weeks ago, i looked at some award flights to the Regional Finals of the NCAA basketball tournament in March, 2009

i found very flights and none for 25k at decent hours on Delta
Lots of flights on UA
but i'm trying to burn off my delta miles and close that acct
(I had 150k at the beginning of the year, used 50k for a brazil trip in may)

now that the new fee structure is in place,
there are plenty of flights at 25k,
regular fare of $442 plus taxes and fees

booked one for 25k plus a $49 fee, including taxes

down to 75003 miles in my acct
next usage - Kentucky Derby - hopefully
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:32 pm

Programs: DL GM
I think this thread should be closed as the previous use of the term "award flight" is now dubious and should now be called...."wasted my near worthless miles to save a few dollars" flight thread.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 7:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Im still laughing at the comment about Skymiles being compared to Zimbabwean currency.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.