Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
I "think" it's a bit of a teenager thing. Though, my teenagers do not post on FlyerTalk. My son (18) tends to respond to all questions with one of the following :

"fine"
"yes"
"yes, papa"
"great"

Definitely makes for some "super stimulating" conversations.
Hey, you have a kid who never says "No". That's got to be worth something.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
my wife and I still get a lot of taciturn "whatever" and "huh?" and "I dunno" replies from our 24-year-old, but he also engages us with a fair amount of entertaining conversation on a variety of subjects ... after spending last weekend visiting my mom and sister in Eugene OR, we embarked on a three-day road trip to Crater Lake (which was actually his suggestion), returning via the Columbia Gorge on Wed afternoon/evening ... good family time, spectacular scenery, and plenty of good local craft breweries
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:51 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

I "think" it's a bit of a teenager thing.
...but N639DL is in his 20s.
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
My wife is spending most of September with me here in the good ole US of A including a trip to the outer banks.
Do you need to make a withdrawal?

Originally Posted by SuperG1955
It seems that the Lounge is moving to Europe in September. In addition to traveller99 and N639DL, we're heading there as well. Now there'll be another number to work into the calculation.

Since we want to be part of the community (I read Canarsie's earlier comment), here's what we're doing -

The trip is with a couple of friends from MSY. We leave Sep 3 on (Award Tix) DL466 JFK-SVO conecting to SU2014 to PRG, then 5 days in PRG followed by an overnight train to BUD. Five days in BUD and a train to VIE where we spend another 5 days. Then back to the States. We're booked on SU VIE-SVO-JFK but we'll probably cancel the return and fly to AMS and nonrev back via DTW to see how the newlyweds are doing.

We're thinking that we might stay in AMS for a day or two and take baccarat_king to the corner pub if he's around and has free time.

PRG, BUD and VIE are all first time visits for us. We have lots of recommendations for places to see, things to do and food/restaurant recommendations but we welcome more of them.

We'd also like to stroll around AMS in warm weather and there are 2 museums we didn't get to in January that are on our list.
The only parts of your itinerary to which I have not been are Vienna and Moscow.

Enjoy your trip; but I will leave the 1955 portion of the calculation for our newly-appointed mathematician Howste to figure out.

What happened to the lists of roles and unique visitors to The Lounge, anyway?!?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Do you need to make a withdrawal?
No my wife is well past child bearing years.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PLAT MM SC Lifetime
Well played, sir!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:01 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Good afternoon - in the interest of fulfilling Canarsie's pronouncement of full disclosure, I thought I would say that I am not going to Europe (just returned) and that I am going to the back 40 to mow the lawn.

Liza Jane is trying to play with two fawns and a rabbit. I don't think she understands that Jack Russell Terrorists are supposed to chase them.

After mowing, I will wander into a bar about two miles away for a Guinness on tap.

Other plans are to ship my daughter off to LAX in the morning on a low award in F.

Then I am building a new woodshed for my neighbor.

Finally, I will be looking at flights to Aruba for the fall but not, sad to say, Europe where it appears everyone is headed.

PS the only words I get from my kids are - "my account needs money."
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:08 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Quite interest-ing.

On that note, I will not even think about venturing upon the territory of making deposits...
Originally Posted by jackplum
Liza Jane is trying to play with two fawns and a rabbit. I don't think she understands that Jack Russell Terrorists are supposed to chase them.
I am thinking that a meeting is in order for Mr. Leo — whom I have met — and Liza Jane...
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by Dovster
I think it is more of a Twitter thing: Anything over 140 characters is forbidden.
Not anymore, at least for direct messages. As soon as I saw that news, my first reaction was to feel bad for the folks manning DLAssist.

Originally Posted by traveller99
Happy Thursday, Lounge! The countdown to Europe has begun. Leave on Sep 3 for Venice by way of ATL. Flying DL192 ATL-VCE in D1. Board a cruise there after a few days on the ground and disembark in Barcelona 12 days later. A few days in Barcelona and then Wizz Air to Budapest for 5 days. Finally train to Vienna for 3 days. Returning VIE-AMS-MSP on Septembeer 30. D1 on AMS-MSP. Looking forward the whole trip, including the D1 legs.
What do you have on the agenda for BCN, if you don't mind me asking? We're headed there for a few days in October on our way to PMI for a wedding.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL PLAT MM SC Lifetime
Originally Posted by gooselee
What do you have on the agenda for BCN, if you don't mind me asking? We're headed there for a few days in October on our way to PMI for a wedding.
Happy to oblige. Number one priority is wandering La Rambla. Lot's of street vendors, shops, great food. Our second activity will be riding the Hop On Hop Off bus around town. Best way to get a good view of the major attractions. Of course we will be hitting the Gaudi houses and Sagrada Familia. Parc Guell is another favorite of ours. This will be our fourth trip to Barcelona and have never been disappointed. Imperative that you protect your belongings. Lots of pick pocket activity. Also, consider the City Pass at barcelonacard.org. Great value. Let me know if you want more detail!

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 14, 2015 at 6:15 pm Reason: Fixed coding for quoting.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by traveller99
Happy to oblige. Number one priority is wandering La Rambla. Lot's of street vendors, shops, great food. Our second activity will be riding the Hop On Hop Off bus around town. Best way to get a good view of the major attractions. Of course we will be hitting the Gaudi houses and Sagrada Familia. Parc Guell is another favorite of ours. This will be our fourth trip to Barcelona and have never been disappointed. Imperative that you protect your belongings. Lots of pick pocket activity. Also, consider the City Pass at barcelonacard.org. Great value. Let me know if you want more detail!
Great list - we already had a few on our radar (and are staying at the LM on La Rambla), but good to know about the City Pass and hop on/off bus.

Thanks!

Last edited by Canarsie; Aug 14, 2015 at 6:16 pm Reason: Fixed coding for quoting.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Mr. Leo is AMAZING company, and such a good listener. I talk to him all the time, and he NEVER gets bored of me.

But, I am sad to report his Diamond Medallion flying days are over until we move again. We will return to Amsterdam at the end of August; but the flights have just been too stressful for him. Next summer, I'll board him for 2 weeks, return for a week or so and then board him for 2 weeks again. Will definitely be using "serious drugs" for this return flight since the herbal/natural anxiety "drugs" do not seem to do the trick.

I love twitter, since I am so verbose it's like a puzzle. So difficult to express myself with so few words.
Poor baby! I think I could use some of those serious drugs!
Originally Posted by jrl767
my wife and I still get a lot of taciturn "whatever" and "huh?" and "I dunno" replies from our 24-year-old, but he also engages us with a fair amount of entertaining conversation on a variety of subjects ... after spending last weekend visiting my mom and sister in Eugene OR, we embarked on a three-day road trip to Crater Lake (which was actually his suggestion), returning via the Columbia Gorge on Wed afternoon/evening ... good family time, spectacular scenery, and plenty of good local craft breweries
Why does no one invite me on trips like that?
Originally Posted by jackplum
Good afternoon - in the interest of fulfilling Canarsie's pronouncement of full disclosure, I thought I would say that I am not going to Europe (just returned) and that I am going to the back 40 to mow the lawn.

After mowing, I will wander into a bar about two miles away for a Guinness on tap.

Other plans are to ship my daughter off to LAX in the morning on a low award in F.

Then I am building a new woodshed for my neighbor.

Finally, I will be looking at flights to Aruba for the fall but not, sad to say, Europe where it appears everyone is headed.

PS the only words I get from my kids are - "my account needs money."
How cute! Generalissimo Geno is staring at me with a pitiful look, like, "Mommy, you got home way late, and now you are ignoring me!"

In other news, I admitted to Mr. Kipper that my job isn't my passion, I'm miserable trying to pretend I even tolerate it, and I want to switch jobs.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:48 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Canarsie
...our newly-appointed mathematician Howste...
If I'm to be the thread mathematician, I'll need to stock up on my weapons of math instruction. Or was it obstruction. Um, whatever...

In other news, my Global Entry card came in the mail today. It should help make my two trips back into the USA next week much more pleasant.

In the interest of full disclosure recently encouraged in this thread, I'll be staying in San Diego, but will be working in Tijuana two days next week. I'll be using the Sentri lane to reenter the USA each day.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Howste
If I'm to be the thread mathematician, I'll need to stock up on my weapons of math instruction. Or was it obstruction. Um, whatever...
I am a mathematician and can do integral calculus in my head.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by kipper
In other news, I admitted to Mr. Kipper that my job isn't my passion, I'm miserable trying to pretend I even tolerate it, and I want to switch jobs.
Are you sure? Switching jobs can be physically demanding. Being outside can be nice at some times of the year, but I'm not sure how much you'll enjoy it in the Winter.

Old Aug 14, 2015, 8:04 pm

I am a mathematician and can do integral calculus in my head.
I know a few math jokes, but they're just too derivative (r dr r).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.