Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome! 2005-2018

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2015, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by N639DL
Yup this week was just miserable. Hope you get to sleep in on Sunday though.

Happy Friday (and payday)!
Hope you have a good weekend!
Old Apr 11, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by cblaisd
If someone books a DL flight for me with their miles, is it then possible for me to put my AS MVP # in the record so as to be able to select Exit Row or somewhat better seats?

When I purchase a DL flight, I am indeed able to put my AS MVP # in and select those seats. Thanks.
I've always been able to put my wife's DL FF# on her record when I use my miles to buy her a ticket. I believe this should work the same for an AS MVP#.
Old Apr 12, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Quiet day in The Lounge.

I went to SJU yesterday morning and spent the day on the beach. The weather was just gorgeous.

Coming back, I guess an earlier flight canceled and it looked like I wouldn't get to to JFK until this afternoon (and BOS was really tight), but I managed to get the last seat on a DCA flight leaving right then. I was onboard less than five minutes after listing

Things did not improve, however. Greyhound's 11:15pm and 2:00am buses both sold out by the time I got into the wifi coverage area, and Amtrak didn't depart until 3:40am. I ended up taking a chinatown bus called Eastern, which is supposed to be the most legit of the options but check out the Yelp reviews...

We made it from Chinatown in DC, stopped in Baltimore for more pax, stopped someplace else for gas, and I was at Penn Station at 5:30am -- exactly 4 hours after we left!

-J.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
Quiet day in The Lounge.

I went to SJU yesterday morning and spent the day on the beach. The weather was just gorgeous.

Coming back, I guess an earlier flight canceled and it looked like I wouldn't get to to JFK until this afternoon (and BOS was really tight), but I managed to get the last seat on a DCA flight leaving right then. I was onboard less than five minutes after listing

Things did not improve, however. Greyhound's 11:15pm and 2:00am buses both sold out by the time I got into the wifi coverage area, and Amtrak didn't depart until 3:40am. I ended up taking a chinatown bus called Eastern, which is supposed to be the most legit of the options but check out the Yelp reviews...

We made it from Chinatown in DC, stopped in Baltimore for more pax, stopped someplace else for gas, and I was at Penn Station at 5:30am -- exactly 4 hours after we left!

-J.
How was the bus trip?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:57 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by kipper
How was the bus trip?
Looking to find that out too. I would've taken the Amtrak at 3:40am even if the Greyhound at 11:15pm was available.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:00 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Howste
I've always been able to put my wife's DL FF# on her record when I use my miles to buy her a ticket. I believe this should work the same for an AS MVP#.
Thank you!

Another question:

I have a DL itinerary booked that I need to cancel/use the remaining value of on a different ticket later.

I understand that there is a $200 change fee.

Is this like United where you pay the $200 on top of the ticket and then have the full value available, or is it like the "old" United where the $200 comes from the value of the ticket?

If I use the "cancel" button online, will it give me the information I need to re-book the $75 residual that will remain after the change fee?

Thanks,
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
When Delta computes the price of the new ticket it will use the fare cost now being offered. It will then add the $200 change fee but subtract what you paid for the old ticket.

Hence, if you paid $1000 and today that ticket is being offered for $1100, you will be charged $1300 (with the change fee) but credited $1000 for a net price to you of $300.

Likewise, if you bought it at a particularly expensive time (or for a particularly expensive day) you could wind up saving money.

If that $1000 ticket you paid for is being exchanged for a different flight which costs only $600, Delta will add $200 for the change fee but as the total will now be $800, you will receive a $200 rebate to your credit card.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:46 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
The Delta Forum Lounge Thread — Everybody is Welcome!

Thank you!

So I can just use the "Cancel" button on my itinerary and follow the breadcrumbs?
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by cblaisd
Thank you!

So I can just use the "Cancel" button on my itinerary and follow the breadcrumbs?
I have never tried that. I have always phoned to Customer Service and found that they gave me the best possible deals.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
How was the bus trip?
It actually wasn't so horrible. Here's what I wrote on Yelp:

I went in expecting the worst, and was pleasantly surprised that we didn't all die.

I took the 1:30am DC-NY bus this morning (Sunday morning). The DC office is hilarious, you'd never think anything was there but down a few steps and you're in a room with badly-translated signs and a bunch of fold-up chairs. Lots of restaurants and pretty good Chinese and sushi a couple of blocks away.

The bus was totally full because end of the cherry blossom festival I guess (I was trying to fly to NY but only got as far as DC). Anyway, boarding was quick and not-quite-painless. I was the second one there for the bus but was almost the last one on. Oh well. Pretty new MCI D4505 so a nice-enough bus, very quiet. There was a brand-new Van Hool CX45L parked right behind us, now that is a nice bus. The lavatory smelled but I was sitting right next to it, so that's to be expected. No announcements at all. Fabric seats, legroom is average (you get more space on Greyhound or BoltBus). Wi-Fi worked fine and was fast enough, but I could not use Pandora on my phone. No power outlets in my seat -- I heard only the first row (maybe first few rows) have power. Left right on time at 1:30, made a stop in Baltimore to get more passengers. Made another stop somewhere to get gas (no idea where, I woke up halfway through the stop; I don't think anyone but the driver got off). Got to Penn Station at 5:30am sharp -- 30 minutes early).

Now they are only getting two stars because Greyhound was $10 more and is a LOT better than this, but they sold out before I could get a ticket. Amtrak didn't have anything until 3:40am and that was $86. This was $25... you get what you pay for and just go with the flow. This is supposed to be the best of the Chinatown companies, and since I am still alive to type this I guess that's good enough. Would I take them again? If I didn't have to be at work the next day, no (ironically, I ended up not having to go in to the office today). Definitely would wait for Greyhound or BoltBus (or even MegaBus I suppose) or splurge on Amtrak.
But if I was under time pressure... then yes, I would. Like I said, Eastern is supposed to be the most reputable of the Chinatown lines, and I guess it really wasn't that bad.

Originally Posted by N639DL
Looking to find that out too. I would've taken the Amtrak at 3:40am even if the Greyhound at 11:15pm was available.
I would have too, if you had given me the extra $50

Actually I wouldn't have. Greyhound takes longer of course but I wouldn't want to have been bumbling around downtown DC in the dead of night until almost 4am. I was glad to just be off the streets and inside a motor vehicle.

-J.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 2:52 am

Originally Posted by GW McLintock
It actually wasn't so horrible. Here's what I wrote on Yelp:

But if I was under time pressure... then yes, I would. Like I said, Eastern is supposed to be the most reputable of the Chinatown lines, and I guess it really wasn't that bad.

I would have too, if you had given me the extra $50

Actually I wouldn't have. Greyhound takes longer of course but I wouldn't want to have been bumbling around downtown DC in the dead of night until almost 4am. I was glad to just be off the streets and inside a motor vehicle.

-J.
Sounds like it was decent.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 3:37 am

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
Sounds like it was decent.
What would have made it indecent?
Old Apr 14, 2015, 4:41 am

Originally Posted by jackplum
What would have made it indecent?
Putting kipper and me in adjacent seats.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 12:59 pm

Question Connecting Flight Time Question??- Meridiana to Delta

Hi everyone!
Not sure if anyone can help..but it seems like you all have a lot of experience with flying and Delta and I am very new to it! My predicament:

I have an international flight from Naples, Italy to JFK with Meridiana Airlines that gets in on May 29th at 1 pm and want to schedule a flight to get to Washington DC that afternoon with Delta Airlines. It would be 2 separate tickets, but from what I've been told, because Meridiana and Delta have an agreement, they can tag my checked baggage in Italy for a final destination in Washington DC so I wouldn't have to completely recheck it, but just take it to a transfer desk outside customs (not sure if this is correct or not). If the Delta flight is at 3 PM, leaving a 2 hour window in between flights, is that enough time to make that flight? I am a US citizen and will be sitting at the front of the international flight (not sure if that will actually save any time though) Any insight helps!! As embarrassing as it is, I am willing to run through the airport if needed.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 1:44 pm

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by laurenjenison
Hi everyone!
Not sure if anyone can help..but it seems like you all have a lot of experience with flying and Delta and I am very new to it! My predicament:

I have an international flight from Naples, Italy to JFK with Meridiana Airlines that gets in on May 29th at 1 pm and want to schedule a flight to get to Washington DC that afternoon with Delta Airlines. It would be 2 separate tickets, but from what I've been told, because Meridiana and Delta have an agreement, they can tag my checked baggage in Italy for a final destination in Washington DC so I wouldn't have to completely recheck it, but just take it to a transfer desk outside customs (not sure if this is correct or not). If the Delta flight is at 3 PM, leaving a 2 hour window in between flights, is that enough time to make that flight? I am a US citizen and will be sitting at the front of the international flight (not sure if that will actually save any time though) Any insight helps!! As embarrassing as it is, I am willing to run through the airport if needed.
With GE and carry on bags, it is enough time. With checked bags, probably not, unless your bags appear in 20 minutes +/- of arrival (or your arrival is early). I guess, it depends on how you feel about the gamble and the negotiation if it does not work out. I am personally pretty "dynamic" in those situations (and like to take chances, and am willing to pay if it does not work out); many others are not.

Your biggest issue here are checked bags, IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.