Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: Delta (SkyTeam) Plat, Hyatt GP Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by timeasterday
I have a 55 minute layover in NRT, coming in from TPE at 1:35PM and leaving for DTW at 2:30PM. Is this possible?
No problem. I have had this connection before and have it again on the 19th. You probably won't have time to stop in the lounge, but there is no problem making the connection.
Old Nov 9, 2010, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jams65
No problem. I have had this connection before and have it again on the 19th. You probably won't have time to stop in the lounge, but there is no problem making the connection.
Awesome - thank you!
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:25 pm

I will have only 40 minutes between Delta flights at Tokyo (from BKK) and wonder if they will hold the plane if I am late. Last January when I had to make the same connection (but had one hour and forty-five minutes), I made it ok. I know I will have to go through security but do not have to reclaim my luggage. Anyone ever have a connection this tight on Delta in NRT?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 8:44 pm

short NRT connection time

dont worry - the same thing happened to me and I was nervous. I had a 40/50 minute connection arriving on the BKK flight and transiting to DTW. As it turned out, we landed almost an hour early in NRT and had NO trouble making the flight. quick trip through security, and I still had time to grab a bite to eat and do some shopping before the flight. I talked to the flight attendants and they told me it happens all the time - those flights from BKK always arrive early. no sweat.

Originally Posted by tropical_cpl
I will have only 40 minutes between Delta flights at Tokyo (from BKK) and wonder if they will hold the plane if I am late. Last January when I had to make the same connection (but had one hour and forty-five minutes), I made it ok. I know I will have to go through security but do not have to reclaim my luggage. Anyone ever have a connection this tight on Delta in NRT?
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hz PC; HTN D VIP
Originally Posted by pokeable
The baggage at NRT is extremely efficient. ^
And the Customs and Security as well. I think you'll be fine.
Old Nov 23, 2010, 9:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
I recently did a connection from LAX-NRT to NRT-SIN. Inbound flight was late arriving due to strong head winds and late LAX departure. I think I made it from my seat on the LAX flight to my seat on the SIN flight (T2F to T3F) in minutes. The security check going into T3F was very quick. DL held the outbound SIN flight for about an hour as there were many more connecting passengers. Original connection time was something like 45 minutes.

MO
Old Nov 24, 2010, 4:15 am

Thanks so much for that info. My wife is worried that we will miss the flight but the flight from BKK to NRT always seems to leave on time. And the security checkpoint is pretty fast in NRT. Another positive is that we are sitting in row 1, seats A & B in BC on the Airbus 330 so we should be the first one's out of the plane. Thanks again for your help. Happy travels to you!
Old Nov 24, 2010, 9:09 am
Suspended

DL Connection Times at NRT

Originally Posted by sorro
I'm on Delta 283 from LAX-NRT and connect onto Delta 285 from NRT-KIX here in a few weeks and when Delta changed/padded their schedules it left me with a 1.5 hr layover in Tokyo and Delta.com is saying to call and change because I may not have enough time for the connection. Therefore, I have a few questions.
1) Is this accurate? I can't imagine that Delta would have a 744 from LAX come into Tokyo without it hitting their connecting bank of flights to points eastward. If I'm going to be pushing it, I can probably change to the SFO, PDX, or SEA flights.
2) I have tried everything I can think of to find a direct from the US to KIX on Delta. Is there something I've missed, because I wouldn't feel bad at all if I dropped the connection in NRT? (My flight's on 4-19/20).

Thanks!
I go through NRT quite a bit on DL, connecting to SIN, HKG, and KUL. Those short connection times have always bothered me and I do some odd scheduling to avoid the close connections. This is, in part, because I like the NRT SkyClubs and often have a bit to eat, take a shower, and have a drink.

I have had several close calls there. For example, if you are in economy and in the far back of the metal, security can be slow. NRT is not like SIN and KUL where you do not go through security to reenter the airport.

So, if you are on a late arriving flight I would be concerned about making your connection.

Leave the plane as quickly as possible and sprint for security.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:04 am

You are right, the NRT SkyClub is the best I have ever seen. If we miss our connecting flight and have to hang out in the airport, NRT is the best place for that to happen.
Old Nov 25, 2010, 4:27 am

This is a horrible problem that Delta has at NRT. I recently missed my connection to BKK because the connection time was one hour and the flight from MSP was 30 minutes late and had to wait for a gate. You have to clear security a second time at NRT, even if you are transit.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 9:40 am

I've been watching the flight into NRT from BKK and it is on time daily. The connecting flight, which we are concerned about, NRT to DTW has been departing NRT 30 minutes late this week so we are encouraged we will make the connection.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
IME the ground staff at NRT are great about knowing which flights have tight connections. If it's possible to make a connection they will make sure you do. They get you into a quick line for the security check and move you quickly through the terminal to your connecting gate. The real problem with a tight connection, scheduled or otherwise, is not having enough time to visit the clubs.

Caveat: I haven't been through NRT in about a year, so I can't say whether DL has ruined what was a top notch level of service. It does seem like they schedule the connections more tightly than NW did.
Old Nov 27, 2010, 10:49 am

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
I made two extremely tight connections at NRT in the past couple weeks, both due to severely delayed inbounds. Incidentally, both delays were due to mechanical problems with 744 N661US - delayed DL619 MSP-NRT on 11/16 due to broken engine deicer, delayed DL172 MNL-NRT on 11/25 due to fuel pump problem.

My MSP-NRT flight DL619 arrived after my scheduled DL281 NRT-SIN departure, but the SIN flight was held (as were most other interport connections) to allow people from the MSP flight to make it. Similarly, my DL172 MNL-NRT delay ate almost all of my connection time to hit DL620 NRT-MSP, but I did make the flight and noted that other outbound US departures (specifically recall DTW) were held to allow connections.

In each case, it took me less than 5 minutes from aircraft door to aircraft door, including passing through transit security. I did have the benefit of being in BE for both, so I was able to get off the plane quickly, but I believe both of these connections would've been doable from coach as well.

I think DL does a pretty good job trying to preserve as many connections as possible at NRT. They'll do what they can to take care of you.
Old Nov 28, 2010, 6:09 pm

With only 40 minutes between connecting flights, we can only hope that they will give us enough time to make the flight. We are in row 1 of business class on our flight from BKK so we should be the first ones off the plane. And our previous experiences through the security screening at NRT has been really fast. With all that said, I think we should make it. If we don't, I think the Delta SkyClub is the best place to be "stuck" at of any other Clubs I can think of.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 5:53 pm

Will I Make my International Connection LAX - NRT - SYD?

Hi gang!

I'm flying LAX to NRT arriving at 5:00pm and then NRT to SYD at 8:00pm

As with some others who posted... I'm wondering if this would be enough time to connect as they are both in different terminals (1 and 2) and I booked through two different means (ff miles and cash).

I'm a bit worried suddenly as Qantas has a 90 minute check in requirement.

Can't do LAX to SYD unfortunately more expensive than the round a bout way.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.