Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
At NRT connection times of 1 hour are more than sufficient.
It takes approx 15-20 minute from arriving at the gate, deplaning, Security check to entry into Sky Club.
Usually we end up spending 20-30 minutes at the Sky Club.
And 10-15 minutes from exiting the Skyclub and walking to the departure gate, and boarding (depending upon what stage of boarding process is on).
Old Feb 7, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
Just did SEA->NRT->PVG which was the same flight and the same plane.

You will go through security but as most people have said, it's quick and they watch out for passengers for flights with short connections.

They will help you if you are running late but if you have any extra time, definitely hit the SkyClub.
Old Feb 7, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: MP, 1K 1MM
Wish you the very best

but, if it has any relevance to your upcoming travel, know that our UA LAX-NRT flight last month kept being delayed and delayed and delayed until the 2.5 hour connecting time for our NRT-BKK segment finally departed LAX at about the time we expected to depart NRT.
Wisely we opted to travel the next day, spent a day at a hotel near LAX at our own expense, since UA wasn't popping accommodations for "locals."
45 minutes connecting seems very optimistic to me, though over the past 10 or so years, there have actually been very few occasions when we ended up with that or less connecting times, always on UA.
So, we're talking UA here, NOT DL, thus maybe comparing apples with ...uh...kumquats
YMMV
Old Feb 7, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Amex Plat
Thank you everyone! I can breathe easy now, and I'll book the flight.
Old May 8, 2012, 2:51 am

Hi all,

I am flying MU on PVG-NRT on June 21st and connecting to DL276 (NRT-DTW) that same day. I know MU and DL codeshare and normally wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't believe they codeshare on PVG-NRT, so I'm not sure if MU will think I'm terminating in NRT and make me claim my bags there and check in again with DL.

So, will I be checked all the way through to DTW from PVG? Also, is 2:15 min enough time to make an inter-terminal transfer in NRT, since MU is in T2 and DL is in T1?

Edited to add that both flights are on the same itinerary (issued by Delta).

Last edited by cdubose98; May 8, 2012 at 2:58 am
Old May 28, 2012, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by cdubose98
Hi all,

I am flying MU on PVG-NRT on June 21st and connecting to DL276 (NRT-DTW) that same day. I know MU and DL codeshare and normally wouldn't be worried about this, but I don't believe they codeshare on PVG-NRT, so I'm not sure if MU will think I'm terminating in NRT and make me claim my bags there and check in again with DL.

So, will I be checked all the way through to DTW from PVG? Also, is 2:15 min enough time to make an inter-terminal transfer in NRT, since MU is in T2 and DL is in T1?

Edited to add that both flights are on the same itinerary (issued by Delta).
Should be fine. MU can definitely check your bags all the way to DTW. MU should also be able to issue all your boarding passes, but since the travelsky system MU uses sucks for interline, you should be prepared if the system goes wrong and cannot print your boarding pass for your DL flights. Print your ticker, and after clearing security, go directly to the shuttle bus stop. The bus will take you to the delta terminal.The bus departs every 30 minutes so hurry up, or you might need to wait for a long time. After arriving at delta's terminal, find a transfer desk or even just go directly to your gate, you should be able to acquire your BP there if not at PVG.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:29 pm

NRT minimum connection time

If I was switching from DL to JL in NRT to get to SGN, what would you recommend that the minimum connection time be? Original itinerary is JFK-NRT-SGN.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 1:57 pm

I believe JL's minimum connection time is 90 minutes. You'll need to switch terminals. And you'll need to make sure your luggage is interlined so that you only need to clear connecting security and take the airside bus.

Keep in mind, DL and JL only have a duty to handle a misconnection if both flights are on the same PNR. That's likely only going to happen if you book with a travel agent/site.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
For any connection between terminals at NRT, note that you must take the bus designated for your carrier. They do not run very frequently, especially in the evening. Unless you have many hours, you should go directly to the boarding gate for these buses. I try to avoid such connections because I do not find the process pleasant.

IMO 90 minutes is tight even if the flights are on one PNR and the bags have been checked through.

If it's not too late, consider taking ANA instead of JAL in order to avoid having to switch terminals at NRT or find a connection using a SkyTeam partner that operates from Terminal 1.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
I believe JL's minimum connection time is 90 minutes. You'll need to switch terminals. And you'll need to make sure your luggage is interlined so that you only need to clear connecting security and take the airside bus.

Keep in mind, DL and JL only have a duty to handle a misconnection if both flights are on the same PNR. That's likely only going to happen if you book with a travel agent/site.
Not checking any luggage, so that should help.
Old Jun 7, 2012, 4:38 pm
Suspended

For Me, Two Hours

Originally Posted by travelingfool23
If I was switching from DL to JL in NRT to get to SGN, what would you recommend that the minimum connection time be? Original itinerary is JFK-NRT-SGN.
I like NRT but I will NOT do a DL connection there for less than TWO hours--minimum. I have had too many close calls. They have only two security lines for DL flights and if you are in the back of the metal, you won't make it. I'm always in EC of BE and make it, but i do not like to be rushed or skip a stop at the great SkyClub there.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:34 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
transfer time in NRT

Is two hours enough to transfer flights at NRT? I will be arriving from Atlanta and connecting on a flight to Hong Kong (both on Delta metal)
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, plenty. Enjoy the SC.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 2:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes, plenty. Enjoy the SC.
Agree! I recently did it over Memorial Day weekend and only had a 45minute connection between planes. You'll be fine and you'll also most likely not be the only one continuing to SE Asia. You don't have to worry about going through customs/passport control since you are just transferring; you merely just go through security again and even that's easy/efficient.

Enjoy!
Old Jun 25, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, MM, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club, etc
No worries. They are very efficient and even have a Sky Priority lane. If you can go through the SkyClub you can see the 8th wonders of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.