Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2009, 7:47 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
NRT Connection (NW to All Nippon)

Is an 1 hr 35 min connection doable at Narita going from NW to All Nippon? I'm booking a last minute ticket so even though it isn't ideal for me especially since I'd like to stick with skyteam the whole way, but I just wanted to get some advice.

And this is bookable on NWA.com so if I miss my flight, who is responsible for getting me from NRT to BKK should I arrive late?
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:02 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Princess Elite
as long as your flight is on time, 1h35 is PLENTY. Assuming you don't have your onward BP ensure you have a copy of your e-ticket or itinerary. Either of those will be enough to get you through the "transit security" at NRT. Once you've re-cleared security, find the NH transit desks and you're set. I know there are NH transit desks near gates around 42-45 but I am not sure if there are more.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:03 am

Programs: Underappreciated US CP, nobody status with everyone else.
I'm in Japan every month, I personally wouldn't book this.
NRT customs is always busy - Japanese efficient, but always busy.

If you can, get a longer connection, go to Sushi Kaiten on the 5th floor - great view and better food!
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mk1
And this is bookable on NWA.com so if I miss my flight, who is responsible for getting me from NRT to BKK should I arrive late?
If booked as a single ticket, as always (IATA standard), the carrier delivering you late to the connecting point is responsible for arranging onward travel to the ticketed destination. Single ticket is key; booking on nwa.com is not.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by NoMiddleSeat
I'm in Japan every month, I personally wouldn't book this.
NRT customs is always busy - Japanese efficient, but always busy.

If you can, get a longer connection, go to Sushi Kaiten on the 5th floor - great view and better food!
Why would it matter if Japanese customs is busy... the OP isn't clearing customs. All they have to do is re-clear security. 1h35 is LOADS of time. I'd suspect the OP will be through in less than 15m.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 8:51 am
mk1

Programs: KE Morning Calm; AA Plat
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and booked it so I'll give it a try then on Sunday.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 9:08 am

No worries mk1. Just make sure you DO NOT clear immigration/customs. You don't want to do that... when you get off the plane ask for transit passengers security check area, one of the multitude of people meeting the flight will direct you.
Old Oct 22, 2009, 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by mk1
Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and booked it so I'll give it a try then on Sunday.
Please let us know how it went. I have a similar connection but from DL/NW to UA next month
Old Nov 5, 2009, 11:43 pm

Programs: United 1K 2009, DL Diamond 2010, Hilton Diamond and Marriott Gold 2010
ANA Domestic or Intl out of NRT

If you are connecting to an ANA flight out of Narita to somewhere else in Japan, you will have to clear customs/immigration in Narita and then proceed to your connecting flight on ANA. If you are connecting to an ANA flight to another international destination, you can use the transit option. It all depends on your final destination.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:12 am

Programs: NW:Silver, Starwoods: Corporate Preferred
Short connection time in NRT to another airline. Should I be worried?

I have a 1 hr 5 min connection time in NRT to a connecting Korean Flight. Should I be worried about missing the connecting flight?

The good news is that I am flying business class all the way through and will be one of the first ones off the flight.

My itinerary is as follows:

TPE - NRT (Delta Airlines)

NRT - LAX (Korean Airlines)

LAX - MSP (Delta Airlines)

I have a couple of questions:

1a) Can Delta issue me a boarding pass for the entire itinerary in TPE? This would save a bunch of time.

1b) Do I have to separately check-in with Korean airlines the day before departure or will checking in through Delta.com also check me in for the KE flight?

2) If I can not get a boarding issued for NRT - LAX, is there a transit desk of some sorts in NRT? I had to connect in NRT on the way over to TPE, but I didn't really notice a transit desk like they have in AMS.

Thanks for your help.

Tim
Old Feb 17, 2010, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If your Delta itinerary was booked to include the KE flight then they should be able to issue the boarding pass when you check in but you'll likely have to do it at the airport in TPE... otherwise if it was booked seperately then you'd have to check in with KE.

There is a transit desk in NRT, but it depends where you'll be at. If you arrive at either Satellite 1 or 2, there is a skyteam desk right near the gates, however I think they route you out somewhere else from the plane as a connecting passenger so you'd have to walk back. The KE flight would be out of a different area though, and I'm not sure where else there are transit desks. However, you'd need to be checked in ahead of time already at TPE since your connction doesn't leave enough time to do a new check in since you'd be inside 1hr for an intl flight.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:26 am

Programs: AA ExecPlat, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
And you have to go through a security check point again in NRT even if you are just connecting. It's doable but I'd pack light and run really really fast.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: DL Plt, SW A+, SPG Plt, HH Silver, Marriott Gold,
I did the same run last year. It was very tight. I had to be re-issued at NRT, went to the KE Lounge to ask for help becouse of the line at the Desk. Waited there then they sent me outside to the KE desk anyhow.

I agree, pack light and move quickly. If you have to transit on the bus you are at their mercy.

But on the otherhand KE's customer service is great, tell them you are on a tight schedule when you get to the desk at NRT and they will do everything they can for you.
Old Apr 5, 2010, 8:44 am

Programs: DL PM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Connection time in Tokyo?

I'm on Delta 283 from LAX-NRT and connect onto Delta 285 from NRT-KIX here in a few weeks and when Delta changed/padded their schedules it left me with a 1.5 hr layover in Tokyo and Delta.com is saying to call and change because I may not have enough time for the connection. Therefore, I have a few questions.
1) Is this accurate? I can't imagine that Delta would have a 744 from LAX come into Tokyo without it hitting their connecting bank of flights to points eastward. If I'm going to be pushing it, I can probably change to the SFO, PDX, or SEA flights.
2) I have tried everything I can think of to find a direct from the US to KIX on Delta. Is there something I've missed, because I wouldn't feel bad at all if I dropped the connection in NRT? (My flight's on 4-19/20).

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2010, 9:03 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
1.5 hours is plenty of time for the connection and is longer than most DL-DL connections at NRT these days. And even if you miss the DL flight to KIX there are many others that DL can accommodate you on, probably that same evening.

NW had a non-stop DTW-KIX flight until about a year ago and they still have a HNL-KIX flight. Perhaps a connection in HNL would work better for you, but you should have no problem with what you have.

Also, starting in June(?) DL will run a nonstop from SEA to KIX.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.