Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2007, 12:58 am

Minimum Connection Time

If NWA.com booked me a flight under the minimum connection time (this being in NRT, they booked me with a 49 minute connection), will they be able to put me on the next days flight for no cost?
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA ExecPlat
If they let you ticket it, then technically you did not violate the minimum connection time. That said, if your arriving flight is early enough to not violate the minimum connection time, I don't think they will be too accommodating if you try to miss your flight to get a free stopover. Worst case is they would probably cancel the remainder of your itinerary or force you to buy a more expensive ticket that allows a stopover.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
UA to NW connection at NRT. How much time do I need?

I'm flying SIN-NRT-US on two tickets. SIN-NRT is on UA, and arrives at 3:15pm. My final destination is LAX. Travel in C.

NRT-LAX..... I am redeeming miles, and can either stick with *A or use my Delta miles for Skyteam. *A has no nonstop available for award travel, but I can take ANA via SFO at 5:10pm.

Here are the Skyteam options:
1) NW nonstop at 3:45pm. Not enough time, right?
2) NW: NRT-SEA at 3:55
3) NW: NRT-SFO at 4:05pm.

PDX and HNL connections aren't available.

I take it none of the three options truly allow enough time for this connection. Am I missing other options?
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:10 am

Programs: NW Plat (formerly), UA 1K, Hilton Silver, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by zrs70
I'm flying SIN-NRT-US on two tickets. SIN-NRT is on UA, and arrives at 3:15pm. My final destination is LAX. Travel in C.

NRT-LAX..... I am redeeming miles, and can either stick with *A or use my Delta miles for Skyteam. *A has no nonstop available for award travel, but I can take ANA via SFO at 5:10pm.

Here are the Skyteam options:
1) NW nonstop at 3:45pm. Not enough time, right?
2) NW: NRT-SEA at 3:55
3) NW: NRT-SFO at 4:05pm.

PDX and HNL connections aren't available.

I take it none of the three options truly allow enough time for this connection. Am I missing other options?

As you will need to go through security in NRT to change planes there is not enough time with just 30 minutes (assuming you are the first one off the plane AND it is exactly on time and not at a bus gate at NRT) for the NW NRT-LAX flight. The others may be possible, but I can't say... I'd just fly NW SIN-NRT-LAX the whole way, as another option.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:25 am

Originally Posted by secretsea18
As you will need to go through security in NRT to change planes there is not enough time with just 30 minutes (assuming you are the first one off the plane AND it is exactly on time and not at a bus gate at NRT) for the NW NRT-LAX flight. The others may be possible, but I can't say... I'd just fly NW SIN-NRT-LAX the whole way, as another option.
There is a second NRT-SEA departing late. You can try that one.
Old Feb 21, 2008, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Originally Posted by jing_canada
There is a second NRT-SEA departing late. You can try that one.
Is that daily?
Old Feb 22, 2008, 11:20 am

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by zrs70
Is that daily?
The second NRT-SEA flight (1) is not daily, but twice weekly (2) won't start till March or April IIRC.

If you can't take NW all the way then take *A all the way. If you travel on two separate tickets and miss the connecting flights, (1) the NW flight may not wait for you if you are late, (2) I doubt if NW will give you much compensation, and you might be on your own.
Old May 20, 2008, 3:41 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
65 min NW to DL connection in NRT?

I am flying NW 20 to DL 56 in June via NRT, with a 65 min connection. I know these are now in the same terminal, but does anyone have experience with NW's ontime performance to NRT and the chances of getting stuck? I have a PMU upgrade on DL, so I hate to have to reroute and lose that.

Last edited by Smyrnaflyer; May 20, 2008 at 3:41 am Reason: wrong punctuation
Old May 20, 2008, 5:06 am

I can't imagine missing a 15 minute connection let alone 65 minutes although I must say I have never made the connection NW to DL. You can find out NW ontime performance for that route on Expert Flyer. The actual time going from one flight to the other will be minimal.

Marc
Old May 20, 2008, 8:48 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Expertflyer show the reliability of that flight as 89% / 49m (49m being the average delay time when delayed). So, those are decent numbers to be working with and most intra asia flight are pretty reliable unless weather comes into play.

I think you should be fine but not sure about the security in that terminal at that time of day though as I am usually in the *A area but still never taken over 15 minutes to go through security.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM & MM; AA Gold; Marriott PP & LT PL; HH Diamond; SPG PL and many more
NRT connection processing experiences?

First - I am new to this, not to traveling but posting on FlyerTalk.

I am in the middle of a MR to SIN on DL/NW. Getting 64K MQMs in one trip so that should take care of getting PM status back. Flew here through NRT from ATL. On the way back I will have a relatively short connection in NRT, 85 minutes, which is normally not a problem BUT with the Swine Flu things are not quite as smooth anymore.

Yesterday was the second day of mandatory health checks at NRT of each airliner before passengers could entered Japanese soil/terminal. You had to fill out a questioner and the health authorities(?) came in and performed a temperature check (non-invasive) on each passenger. Once completed, the entire plane load of passengers were "released". It took 30-45 minutes to process.

If we are late on the way back to NRT, will DL hold the connection? I am flying on NW from SIN and connect on DL to ATL, and visibility seams to be "limited" between the booking systems! Will they allow extra connection time, if necessary, for the connecting passengers? Any experiences and/or insight would be very appreciated.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: AA-PLT, DL-SLV, JL-SAPPHIRE, Hyatt Diamond, *wood Gold
As long as your NW and DL flights are booked in a single PNR, I feel pretty comfortable that your DL flight to ATL will wait for you especially at this unusual time. Although I have not taken DL flights from NRT, I have flew TG flight into NRT from BKK and connected to AC flight to YVR. If I remebered correctly, AC waited for us and departed approximately 20 minutes late. Nothing is guaranteed, but you shouldn't be worried too much.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond since inception
Originally Posted by matsber
First - I am new to this, not to traveling but posting on FlyerTalk.

I am in the middle of a MR to SIN on DL/NW. Getting 64K MQMs in one trip so that should take care of getting PM status back. Flew here through NRT from ATL. On the way back I will have a relatively short connection in NRT, 85 minutes, which is normally not a problem BUT with the Swine Flu things are not quite as smooth anymore.

Yesterday was the second day of mandatory health checks at NRT of each airliner before passengers could entered Japanese soil/terminal. You had to fill out a questioner and the health authorities(?) came in and performed a temperature check (non-invasive) on each passenger. Once completed, the entire plane load of passengers were "released". It took 30-45 minutes to process.

If we are late on the way back to NRT, will DL hold the connection? I am flying on NW from SIN and connect on DL to ATL, and visibility seams to be "limited" between the booking systems! Will they allow extra connection time, if necessary, for the connecting passengers? Any experiences and/or insight would be very appreciated.

Yesterday they actively were seeking the passengers off the SIN plane that were to get on the NRT flight with that short connection and processed them with ppriority through the second screening in NRT - just like waiting for a driver with your name on a name card they wil look for you and hold the plane
Old Apr 29, 2009, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, QF, QR/EY/GF & HH Gold/SPG, Hertz#1G
Hi matsber,
Welcome to FlyerTalk! ^

Please be aware that Mileage Run Deals forum is only for the mileage/status earning 'Deal' fares on major carriers (not for airline-specific questions).

I am moving this across to the DeLta forum, where you might find a more appropriate group of people to answer your question.

PS. Congrats on the fare, best of luck with your flights.

Cheers,
BiziBB
Moderator, Mileage Run forums

Last edited by obscure2k; Apr 29, 2009 at 11:23 pm
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I hope they continue to make accomodations for people with shorter connections, as I have a return flight coming up on NW through NRT that only has a 65 min connection time. Figured that would be no problem because its just a transit connection but the swine flu seems to be screwing things up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.