Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Tokyo Narita (NRT): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
IME flights are held if gate, ATC and crew timing works. I had experience it this from both sides, being on a plane held for inbound as well as planes being held for me.

The Former NW now DL model is NRt is their major Asian transfer hub to US. All the Asian arrivals and US departures are within a 3 hour window where pax from different arrival cities are shuffled to different departure cities' flights.

NRT HNL is the exception for that flight is for JP tourist to HI so it is the exception. That HNL flights were not meant to be part of the TPAC network. It was a cash cow for NW.

It is easier for DL to overnight you at NRT where they have local nearby decent hotel contracted and put you on the next day's flight than to fly you back to US and overnight you near HNL where there is no decent accommodations near the airport
Old Aug 19, 2012, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Holding flights to Asia depends on the crew turn-around situation. For example, the HKG flight was never held too long because they may use the same cockpit crew the next morning. They can squeeze the 9-hour rest down to 8 but they can't get any less without delaying the next morning's flight. (DTW-HKG and NRT-HKG both using the B777 has allowed some flexibility, but that's going to end next week.) Flights to SIN and BKK can be held longer because the crew may rest a day and a few hours anyway.

Another flexibility is MNL as there are also a NGO flight. MNL-NGO-DTW does not worry much about NGO connections, so if it's an hour late it's not as much a big deal as MNL-NRT being late.
Well summarized re: what flights may be more delayed, and which not. This also mirrors my experience.

Re: what others said here, I have seen (overheard) from time to time pax on HNL-ATL who got reaccommodated on NRT-HNL-ATL-xxx, so DL is doing that (or just NRT-HNL-LAX/SFO/SLC/PDX/SEA/MSP if that is the destination). I mean, it costs then less than to provide overnight accommodations for a passenger, and just like DL will hold flights if it doesn't cost them more in terms of crew rest/substitutes, so will they rather get the pax out the same night to connect at the HNL hub the next morning/day (less comfort to passenger - likely not the same service level they paid for, but zero marginal added cost to DL).
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:40 am

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
Back in the final NW months, a family member of mine had SEA-NRT diverted to ANC due to medical emergency. ANC-NRT got in 2-3 hours late. Some planes were held and HKG was not. While I don't have the exact details, arrangements were already made for connecting passengers by the time they arrived NRT. They were promptly notified their gate number or alternatives. Those who couldn't connect were given the next day's boarding pass/itinerary and hotel shuttle instructions. HKG misconnects are usually flown next day by other carriers (CX, JL, NH). The old NW HKG flight info telephone recording actually announced each evening which USA-NRT flights had misconnected and which flight "tomorrow" they'd be flying NRT-HKG.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 6:23 pm
Suspended

NO

It is not. I take another carrier.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 7:46 pm

If I may chine in. Please note this is a generic answer since all of us, DL/UA/NH/TG/KE and other pax arriving at T1 have to go through the same procedure. If all flights arrive on time then I think 10-20 minutes is enough to get through security at NRT. Here is a hint from someone who does this many more times than I wished on anyone else, don't tell anyone at security that you are in a rush. Just force yourself to be in the line that looks the best to you. Every time I tried to ask for help, they pointed me to the wrong lanes. Go for what you feel best. Don't take off your shoes, your belts, take your laptop out, just go for it. Have your BP or ET out. They use WTMD only.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 9:50 am

Should have checked my status before the day of my flight, but I didn't. Itinerary now says there was an update and that means I might miss my connection (from BKK, to JFK, 50 minutes). I cannot find a clear statement about this on Delta's website, but it seems they usually use Terminal 1 in NRT, but my flight from BKK is coming in to Terminal 3. Although my original emailed itinerary didn't actually state that it was supposed to arrive at Terminal 1, I assume this is the update since the times are the same.

Am I still OK to make connection? Where is the arrival/departure terminal info posted, if it's posted this many hours before the flight? Any chance the connecting flight would also be moved to Terminal 3 to accomodate the short transit time?

I did try search for this specific info but the search doesn't allow for "3" .
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:02 am

Confusing...now I'm looking up terminal maps at NRT and there is no Terminal 3. I have no idea why this is posted on my itinerary page on Delta's site.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
As noted up thread, the MCT Delta international arrival to Delta international departure at NRT can be as low as 45 minutes. I would make a good effort to get a seat nearest the boarding door.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 10:21 am

I have no status, I'm in row 25 economy. Am hoping there isn't really any terminal arrival confusion as shown on Delta's site (still showing the non-existent Terminal 3 as my arrival point). Thanks though, this thread has been comforting.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by skewedstyle
Should have checked my status before the day of my flight, but I didn't. Itinerary now says there was an update and that means I might miss my connection (from BKK, to JFK, 50 minutes). I cannot find a clear statement about this on Delta's website, but it seems they usually use Terminal 1 in NRT, but my flight from BKK is coming in to Terminal 3. Although my original emailed itinerary didn't actually state that it was supposed to arrive at Terminal 1, I assume this is the update since the times are the same.

Am I still OK to make connection? Where is the arrival/departure terminal info posted, if it's posted this many hours before the flight? Any chance the connecting flight would also be moved to Terminal 3 to accomodate the short transit time?

I did try search for this specific info but the search doesn't allow for "3" .
Confusing...now I'm looking up terminal maps at NRT and there is no Terminal 3. I have no idea why this is posted on my itinerary page on Delta's site.
I have no status, I'm in row 25 economy. Am hoping there isn't really any terminal arrival confusion as shown on Delta's site (still showing the non-existent Terminal 3 as my arrival point). Thanks though, this thread has been comforting.
All DL flights into and out-of NRT are the same terminal. Gate 11-18 is one section and 19-27 another. There is a SC serving each section.

If you are flying BKK NRT JFK then T3 would probably be referring to JFK T3 where the TPAC flight from NRT dock. Usually it is at Gate 6.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Forget your "itinerary" - Look up your exact flight numbers on the DL web site using Flight Status from the home page. As an example, today's DL 284 BKK-NRT arrived at Gate 18 and today's DL 172 NRT-JFK departed from Gate 14. Gate assignments change daily at NRT (and are usually assigned at about 11 am-Noon Tokyo time for that afternoon's arriving and departing flights), but DL always uses gates 11 through 27 in Narita Terminal 1. By checking for a day or two you will see the pattern.
Old Sep 9, 2012, 12:26 pm

I think you're right, it was just confusing because the note about terminal is on the BKK-NRT line and the other note "There has been a change affecting one or more of your flights. Your itinerary has been updated, but it may cause you to miss at least one connecting flight during your trip." wasn't there when I booked.

Now I'm feeling more confident about the connection, more time to stress about the baggage restrictions, which are totally new to me as I previously flew Cathay (when price was better) when going home for a visit, always loaded down with gifts & requests from Thailand.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.1MM
1.5 hr transfer time in NRT enough?

Originally Posted by sharktums
NRT is a great place for a tight transfer with friendly, helpful and efficient staff at every step along the way. Don't stress.
I arrive in NRT on AA (16:15) and transfer to ANA (not part of AA booking, therefore won't be able to check my bag to HIJ at origin) for a flt that leaves 17:40 (~1-1/2 hrs later) to HIJ (Hiroshima International). Will I need to clear customs in NRT? If so do I have a chance of making the ANA connection? I could, if needed, carry my bag on. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by eliteone; Sep 26, 2012 at 10:46 am Reason: edited to indicate two separate tix
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Connecting at NRT

I will be traveling to Hong Kong in December, connecting in Tokyo Narita. The connection time is listed as 1:50, is that sufficient? Plenty sufficient? Barely sufficient?

Thanks!
Old Oct 20, 2012, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
I will be traveling to Hong Kong in December, connecting in Tokyo Narita. The connection time is listed as 1:50, is that sufficient? Plenty sufficient? Barely sufficient?

Thanks!
The simple answer is yes. If your flight is on time, you will be fine. If your first off the plane, you might even have time for a drink in the skyclub before your next flight. My suggestion is this. go to the bathroom before you land. This way, you get right on the line for connecting flights and through the security check point as fast as possible. The lines for the sec check move fast so if it seems like a lot of people and you'll never get through, you will. Its much faster then CDG and all the connecting delta gates are pretty much right there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.