Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
This has been one of the things that has kept me from booking some AS/NW codeshares...while going MSP-SEA-SoCal is great for earning miles, I don't want to risk not getting any (and is a reason why I cancelled a BUR MR earlier this year).
Old Dec 16, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Normally I'd agree 100%. But in this case it's a part of a business travel itinerary that turns out to be substantially cheaper when booked as all NW including the AS and DL segments. It's all in FC and everything else including DL codeshares is substantially more money since my company gets a good discount on NW. I'm hoping that NY-FLA is correct. But I'll pass on what Delta says if they reply to my direct inquiry.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: DL MM; UA MM/1K
I did not get any DL mileage credit for a PHX-PDX segment on AS operated NW flight in October.
I filed for missing mileage credit but I have yet to receive a response.

DLP
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: US former CP Looking for a new airline to love me
Come to think of it, I did have to send in the request for mileage credit for my flight on AS, which was granted with little problem, ~ 3 weeks later. At the time, I attributed this to an invol reroute from a messed up itin due to wx in MSP. A segment on Horizon from the same itin did credit automatically, and fast.
Old Dec 16, 2009, 4:42 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
I booked thru NW and my PDX to SEA portion was Alaska Air. I got my miles without needing to request them, although it took several weeks (I was about ready to submit a request form). I wasn't too happy about having to pay to check my bag since Alaska was the first leg of my trip.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1MM, AA Exec Plat
SkyMiles on Alaska Airlines

I was wondering if we can use SkyMiles to purchase a ticket on Alaska Airlines?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
You can redeem miles on AS for tickets there - capacity controls do apply, but I have seen AS metal pop up several times on the DL.com award booking engine.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, DL 1MM, AA Exec Plat
Do I have to go through the delta site or can i just go through AS directly?
Old Dec 23, 2009, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DLFlyer16
Do I have to go through the delta site or can i just go through AS directly?
Have to go via Delta - either through delta.com or by calling a DL agent.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Well I received my answer from SkyMiles. The answer to my original question is "no". The response in part is as follows:

Dear Mr. Kwaj boy,

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines.

Northwest codeshare flights operated by Alaska Air do not qualify for
mileage credit in the SkyMiles program.

We appreciate your interest in Delta Air Lines.

Sincerely,

Thomas Brown
Medallion Desk

Good thing I changed my reservation to all NW operated and coded flights...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:12 pm

Programs: Delta basic after Gold; HHonors, Diamond; Marriott/SPG Plat; IHG/PCR Plat; Avis, Hertz
Strange... mine came thru as MQM in October.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:25 pm

It wouldn't be the first time that an answer I received from an EMailed question was wrong. My wife received a response about a month ago regarding a missing flight that they couldn't credit her flight because the name on the ticket didn't match the SkyMiles account. That was, of course, totally wrong since she had already received credit for other flights in the same record.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:06 pm

Redeem Skymiles on Alaska Airlines

Hi. I'm planning to book a couple rewards tickets using Skymiles. Would like to book them on Alaska Airlines (flying to SEA, so they have NS flights, DL doesn't), which according to the Delta website, should be no problem. However, when I search for tickets, only DL and NW options come up (I didn't select the "Delta & Northwest flights only" checkbox). I know there are Alaska Airlines flights available for the dates I'm searching, as I can find them when I do an award ticket search on Alaska's website.

So... do I need to call DL to book a reward trip on Alaska? Or is there something else going on here -- like, do they only release Alaska airlines tickets to Skymiles members at the last minute?

Thanks!
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I've used miles to get AS flights and my experience is that regardless of whether they come up or not (and often they do not) in an online award search, you can get them by calling in. The best way to find availability is to do a search on Alaska's site, any time there is standard (low) level availability on the AS sight, you are likely to find availability via SM.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can book them online, however I think there needs to be Saver inventory on the AS flights to be able to redeem miles - I don't think you can use them for higher award rates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.