Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using SkyMiles with Alaska Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by g8tor20
Ok. I've read many threads on using Skymiles on Partner airlines and I think I'm thoroughly confused. I didn't want to start a new thread and figured this was the right place for my questions.

Anyways, I live in South Florida and am getting married in October and we want to do Hawaii for the honeymoon.

We have a ton of Delta miles on our Skymiles Amex.

I go to Delta.com for redemption and of course Hawaii has no "low" award travel...ever. Their Mid price is 65,000 miles for a roundtrip.

I read Alaska airlines is a good Partner so I checked them out. They have flights from Ft. Lauderdale to Honolulu (layover in Seattle) for 40,000 miles for a roundtrip (which is the same as the Delta "low" fares that are non existent.

From what I gather, I cannot book this trip through AS nor Delta.com. I have to contact a Delta rep (Wooohooo!). Or is there a way to do this without having to contact a Delta agent?

I guess if I call armed with the exact dates and times of the AS flight, they can do it (with I have gathered is an additional $25 phone ticketing fee). Any other hidden Delta fees out there I should know about?

And I can further assume that if I fly Alaska Air, I will have to abide by Alaska Air's checked baggage policies?

Please let me know if I got this right or am I off base.

Thanks in advance!

Jason
Is this the "low" level of Alaska Air? As far as I understand, Alaska Air has to have low-level availability to be able to book it on Delta...which brings up my own problem.

I'm trying to get from MCI-SEA and I see the 12.5k per one-way available on the Alaska Air website but I can't get it to show up on Delta.terrible. In fact, I can't get a single low-level flight that shows up on Alaska Air to show up on Delta's website. Am I missing something here?

EDIT: Yes I am, I was reading the Alaska Air website incorrectly. Using ExpertFlyer showed me there are no low-level awards availabe on AS, thus I can't see it on Delta, which is a bummer.

Last edited by tys90; Mar 26, 2013 at 10:15 am
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:15 am

Programs: Hawaiian Air Fold, Delta Gold, SPG Platinum
The new Delta.com is so bad, if I wasn't retiring (at least from routine travel), I would find another airline program.

I am traveling SAN-BOS in August for Bus/Pleas. Alaskan has a non stop. Delta has connections. I would love to uses Skymiles on Alaskan. Alaskan website shows award availability at 20,000 miles plus $2.50 per segment.

Delta.com shows no partner availability at all, whether I use price or schedule. Also Delta.com wants 70,000 miles per RT ticket (I need 2) for connecting travel rather than the Alaskan 40,000 miles per RT ticket on 737-800 (great exit seating on Alaskan on this aircraft).

Most of my Delta Skymiles are earned on my monthly flight to HNL from SAN and I have been earning about half of those Skymiles on Alaskan and half on Delta through LAX. Clearly Alaskan is the better airline, but I suppose I wanted good mileage for family flights to MSP when I chose a main carrier some years ago.

My recommendation to others....Do not use Delta as your airline. Use someone else.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:27 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by pkincy
The new Delta.com is so bad, if I wasn't retiring (at least from routine travel), I would find another airline program.

I am traveling SAN-BOS in August for Bus/Pleas. Alaskan has a non stop. Delta has connections. I would love to uses Skymiles on Alaskan. Alaskan website shows award availability at 20,000 miles plus $2.50 per segment.

Delta.com shows no partner availability at all, whether I use price or schedule. Also Delta.com wants 70,000 miles per RT ticket (I need 2) for connecting travel rather than the Alaskan 40,000 miles per RT ticket on 737-800 (great exit seating on Alaskan on this aircraft).

Most of my Delta Skymiles are earned on my monthly flight to HNL from SAN and I have been earning about half of those Skymiles on Alaskan and half on Delta through LAX. Clearly Alaskan is the better airline, but I suppose I wanted good mileage for family flights to MSP when I chose a main carrier some years ago.

My recommendation to others....Do not use Delta as your airline. Use someone else.
First of all, it is Alaska Air, not Alaskan Air

Secondly, the best way to search for Alaska Air award seats on delta.com is not by price or schedule. It is by multi-city. First use the Alaska Air website as you did, find their low-level availability, and write down the dates, city pairs and flight numbers. Then go to delta.com and use multi-city, filling in each city pair for each segment. Choose the exact flights you found on alaskaair.com that you wrote down. Almost always, delta.com will then price it out correctly.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by fti

Secondly, the best way to search for Alaska Air award seats on delta.com is not by price or schedule. It is by multi-city. First use the Alaska Air website as you did, find their low-level availability, and write down the dates, city pairs and flight numbers. Then go to delta.com and use multi-city, filling in each city pair for each segment. Choose the exact flights you found on alaskaair.com that you wrote down. Almost always, delta.com will then price it out correctly.
Yes AS is Alaska Alaskan is the Beer (Which AS serves- but I digress)

I'd pay for the flight myself as that route has been running reasonable fares, plus a good chance of an upgrade it seems as a DL elite.
Old Apr 23, 2013, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by fti

Yes, see:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...er-thread.html
Old Apr 23, 2013, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by beckoa
Yes AS is Alaska Alaskan is the Beer (Which AS serves- but I digress)

I'd pay for the flight myself as that route has been running reasonable fares, plus a good chance of an upgrade it seems as a DL elite.
I'm not sure if it will be the same in August but ive had two flights in the last 4 weeks month BOS/SAN that went out with 8 of 16 in F. Thats with AS elites, DL elites and buy-ups. Most of the flights on the city pair have had buy ups to F. Y has been running close to full.
Old Apr 27, 2013, 10:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by CDKing
I'm not sure if it will be the same in August but ive had two flights in the last 4 weeks month BOS/SAN that went out with 8 of 16 in F. Thats with AS elites, DL elites and buy-ups. Most of the flights on the city pair have had buy ups to F. Y has been running close to full.
I hope it fills up a bit more.

AS seems to be focusing a bit on SAN and sounds like more SAN may start in the next 12 months
Old Oct 23, 2013, 10:59 am

Does anyone know if you can use SkyMiles to upgrade an Alaska flight?

I'm confused by how this might work. AS6 from LAX-DCA is showing with no U fare for Alaska, but ExpertFlyer is showing 7 upgradeable seats on AA7076 (which is AS6 codeshare). AS6 is ALSO Delta flight 7473 on a codeshare.

I'm guessing Delta won't allow you to use miles to upgrade on non-DL metal, but - worth asking, since evidently AA will allow you to upgrade on the Alaska flight...?
Old Oct 23, 2013, 2:32 pm

Originally Posted by ndesq
Not possible. Can't use AS miles to upgrade a DL flight either.
I'm confused by how this might work. AS6 from LAX-DCA is showing with no U fare for Alaska, but ExpertFlyer is showing 7 upgradeable seats on AA7076 (which is AS6 codeshare). AS6 is ALSO Delta flight 7473 on a codeshare.

I'm guessing Delta won't allow you to use miles to upgrade on non-DL metal, but - worth asking, since evidently AA will allow you to upgrade on the Alaska flight...?
AA miles can't be used to upgrade an AS flight either.

Is AA selling an -UP fare perhaps? That would be interesting, as I didn't know they would do that on codeshares.

Or does AA have U class listing as available but its actually some kind of economy fare? AA's U doesn't necessarily map into AS' U fare bucket.
Old Oct 24, 2013, 12:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-skymiles.html
Old Mar 19, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: Globalist, Marriott Plat, various sundry
I'm looking at flying ORD-PDX nonstop on AS as part of a trip for my honeymoon. I noticed that this leg has availability in Y on AS (12.5K + $5) but it doesn't show up on DL. Is it a DL web site quirk, or is this ineligible for award?
Old Mar 20, 2014, 6:37 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by gmax58
I'm looking at flying ORD-PDX nonstop on AS as part of a trip for my honeymoon. I noticed that this leg has availability in Y on AS (12.5K + $5) but it doesn't show up on DL. Is it a DL web site quirk, or is this ineligible for award?
Did you look at "multi-city" and enter ORD to PDX and check the box for non-stop flights only? That is probably the only way you can find it. If that still doesn't work, you will have to call to book it.

Also note, that even though AS shows it as 12,500 miles, DL doesn't offer one-ways at half the round trip. So if that is the only flight you book in that itinerary, it would cost you 25K miles. You didn't mention your entire itinerary, so it is hard to know what you are looking at.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:16 am

Turns out the issue was not the DL website but human (specifically, my) error. I looked again and noticed the 20K award was the one available on AS (not the 12.5K). When I found the 12.5K award (not surprisingly, very few days on AS) and put it into DL.com, it came up as 25K (since it's a one-way priced as a roundtrip).

So it looks like everything is back to normal. I'll put in itinerary information soon.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by gmax58
Turns out the issue was not the DL website but human (specifically, my) error. I looked again and noticed the 20K award was the one available on AS (not the 12.5K). When I found the 12.5K award (not surprisingly, very few days on AS) and put it into DL.com, it came up as 25K (since it's a one-way priced as a roundtrip).

So it looks like everything is back to normal. I'll put in itinerary information soon.
Glad this is working for now How long DL & AS still cooperate... that's the question.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:27 am

Here's my planned itinerary - I'd like to know if there is any way to do better. Please note that dates are firm, and assume O&D are also firm. Stopovers and connecting points

Trip: ORD-OGG roundtrip

9/4: ORD-MSP-PDX (DL in F, saver)
9/5: PDX-OGG (AS in Y)
9/12: OGG-MSP-ORD (DL in Y, medium)

1. Would this routing then be 145K for two people? (2 x 40K + 2 x 32.5K)? DL.com wants 195K for it.
2. Are there any better routings or itineraries? We have 150K to work with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.