Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s New Route to Brisbane

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I'm wondering if LAXSYD will still be 2x on select days or they're redeploying that A359 over to BNE 3x weekly.

At any rate, I welcome an new addition to the network.
Joint presser from the Queensland Government and Delta suggests the BNE flights will be in addition to their double-daily SYD services, for a total of 17 weekly flights over the NW (Australian Summer) months.

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/99779
Mwenenzi and Intl359Widget like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Originally Posted by DanV
Joint presser from the Queensland Government and Delta suggests the BNE flights will be in addition to their double-daily SYD services, for a total of 17 weekly flights over the NW (Australian Summer) months.

https://statements.qld.gov.au/statements/99779
Thanks for the link…

It also suggests this is a minimum three year commitment on Delta’s part with a forecast of daily flights in the 2025 and 2026 seasons….

Apparently UA’s SFO-BNE and AA’s DFW-BNE are also tapping into the same fund.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:21 pm

I wouldn't say the forecast would be accurate though, a number of international airlines with routes under AAIF funding had forecast for increased services which hadn't eventuated.

For example; although the UA seasonal BNE-LAX service wasn't funded by AAIF; UA (with VA feed) wasn't able to complete the full NW season on BNE-LAX, ending it early after Early February (when the Kids/Families go back to school/work) and forward sales at the tail end of the NW season were weak/low demand.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Zorak
AA is launching DFW-BNE in October also
And this to me, despite lower loads, at least makes more sense to the partnership/connectively with QF.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:09 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by DLATL777
And this to me, despite lower loads, at least makes more sense to the partnership/connectively with QF.
I'm glad to see DL is back in the game, but I also have some questions about this particular route and frequency. We will see.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Virgin Australia VA used to be a ff partner of DL. But the DL-VA agreement ended and now VA is a newish ff partner of UA and QR Qatar.
REX in AU is a minor airline. AuAviation Rex begins partnership with Delta after Virgin break-up
DL not having a large AU domestic partner with a good network is a little limiting.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 10:56 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
I dont think this route will last with leisure traffic. QF struggles with an A330 on this route for the same reason. US tourists going to OZ often never even get to BNE on their first trip, so I see this as a weird choice. MEL would seem to make a lot more sense to me. I suspect the none-revs will love it though.
We flew UA BNE-SFO in early Nov of '23, and our 789 had fewer than 100 pax total across the whole aircraft. I belive it's daily service, which seems like a big money loser unless that was an unusual load factor (we changed the flight by a day and the other day was busier but not a lot).

That said, we thought Brisbane was great, and would recommend it to US travelers who have the time for a multi-city trip to Oz. Friendly, easy to get around, great restaurants. Wish we'd have understood the logistics of getting to the Koala place, missed it but maybe we'll try the DL flight some time
Old Feb 24, 2024, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Ive lived in Brisbane, Sydney, etc but BNE is largely devoid of tourists compared to SYD or MEL. Its often a city visited on a 2nd/3rd trip to OZ and not the first.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 12:50 pm

Programs: DL, UA
When does this go live? 3 times a week they say from 12/4 but I don't see it loaded yet.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by T-15.01
When does this go live? 3 times a week they say from 12/4 but I don't see it loaded yet.
schedules are loaded but not available for sale yet (inventory still zeroed out) - wait at least till tomorrow:

DL093 Mo We Fr LAX 11:10pm BNE 7:45am++ 359
DL092 We Fr Su BNE 10:45am LAX 6:15am 359
T-15.01 likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2024, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by DanV
I wouldn't say the forecast would be accurate though, a number of international airlines with routes under AAIF funding had forecast for increased services which hadn't eventuated.

For example; although the UA seasonal BNE-LAX service wasn't funded by AAIF; UA (with VA feed) wasn't able to complete the full NW season on BNE-LAX, ending it early after Early February (when the Kids/Families go back to school/work) and forward sales at the tail end of the NW season were weak/low demand.
Should be interesting to see if the DL service will drive UA off of LAX-BNE since the former is subsidized while the latter isn’t (UA’s SFO-BNE is subsidized however).
DrMilano likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 8:23 am
jz8

The linked from the QLD has a comment that explains this clearly.

“I’m not sure if it is the upcoming Olympics or the insatiable appetite for Bluey, but right now Brisbane is the ‘must add’ destination for North American carriers, and this opens a world of opportunity.”

It is clearly interest in seeing where Bluey lives.
Old Feb 25, 2024, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Zorak
AA is launching DFW-BNE in October also
Yes, that’s too!
Old Feb 25, 2024, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I dont think this route will last with leisure traffic. QF struggles with an A330 on this route for the same reason. US tourists going to OZ often never even get to BNE on their first trip, so I see this as a weird choice. MEL would seem to make a lot more sense to me. I suspect the none-revs will love it though.
I agree MEL is tough on DL, I normally go to SYD on Saturday and do a long layover going to MEL on Sunday. The US to SYD is too long a flight for a 6 + hour layover better to get a room for the day.
Old Feb 29, 2024, 2:25 pm

Programs: DL, UA
NZ CEO was recently stating the increase of service from US to Aus and NZ ports was having downward pressure on prices. I haven't seen it yet; least not from DL or NZ!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.