Wiki Posts
Search

Delta’s New Route to Brisbane

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM
Delta’s New Route to Brisbane

Ishrion Aviation is reporting that Delta is going to start flying to Brisbane. They will be flying the route from Los Angeles using an A350-900.
https://x.com/ishriona/status/1761037356243505338?s=46
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Here’s the announcement & link directly from Delta:
https://news.delta.com/delta-brisban...new-flight-lax

Service will be seasonal from December through March and 3x per week.
Delta is building on its largest-ever winter schedule to the South Pacific with the launch of a seasonal route from Los Angeles to Brisbane, Australia, that begins Dec. 4, 2024. Flights to the capital city of Queensland will operate three times per week through Mar. 28, 2025
Intl359Widget and vegasbased like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 8:50 am

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
I dont think this route will last with leisure traffic. QF struggles with an A330 on this route for the same reason. US tourists going to OZ often never even get to BNE on their first trip, so I see this as a weird choice. MEL would seem to make a lot more sense to me. I suspect the none-revs will love it though.
DrMilano, Hepsaint and uanj like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 12:54 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Replaces the old VA LAX-BNE route. I flew it twice - I believe I flew it on miles and it was much cheaper than flying to SYD. And Brisbane is well worth visiting!
AJNEDC, jz8 and ryw like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
I'm wondering if LAXSYD will still be 2x on select days or they're redeploying that A359 over to BNE 3x weekly.

At any rate, I welcome an new addition to the network.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It's reported the UA SFO-BNE route is doing horribly and super lightly loaded even though it's summer time down there. I also don't see how DL's LAX-BNE will last. But should be an easy GUC upgrade.

-RM
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA,SPG, Delta, Amtrak, JB
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
It's reported the UA SFO-BNE route is doing horribly and super lightly loaded even though it's summer time down there. I also don't see how DL's LAX-BNE will last. But should be an easy GUC upgrade.

-RM
This is just a wild guess of course, but could the ridiculous fares have anything to do with it? $11K for business class? Really
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:55 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club

-RM
School went back a month ago. February is quiet demand ex Australia.

Weak AUD against USD doesn’t help nor do high interest rates leading to mortgage repayments increasing significantly leading to lower travel demand.

The flights will probably be profitable with cargo - the freight rates are ridiculous.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 3:55 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
AA is launching DFW-BNE in October also
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
School went back a month ago. February is quiet demand ex Australia.

Weak AUD against USD doesn’t help nor do high interest rates leading to mortgage repayments increasing significantly leading to lower travel demand.

The flights will probably be profitable with cargo - the freight rates are ridiculous.
I suspect that a majority of the homes purchased during the pandemic had an arm mortgage, as those shouldn’t float/reset for a few more years. It’s the resumption of student loan payments. But knowing Delta, revenue management will price this route ridiculously high, as it will be 1 season and done.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 4:56 pm

Programs: VA Silver, QF FF, Priority Club
Originally Posted by DrMilano
I suspect that a majority of the homes purchased during the pandemic had an arm mortgage, as those shouldn’t float/reset for a few more years. It’s the resumption of student loan payments. But knowing Delta, revenue management will price this route ridiculously high, as it will be 1 season and done.
I’m talking about the Australian real estate market which operates differently to the US.

The fixed term mortgages have or are close to reaching their end of term which means ppl are having to find an extra $2k-3k per month to fund their mortgage

And real estate in the east coast of Australia is ridiculous.
hhdl, Mwenenzi and jamiel like this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
AA is launching DFW-BNE in October also
Feb 2024 Confirmed: AA to launch DFW-BNE flights

Is now a lot of capacity USA<-->AU and USA<--->NZ. Some airlines have introduced more routes/flights since CV19. From reports on FT and else where some are struggling. Some frequencies are reducing. Would not be suprised if some do not return for 2024-2025 AU summer season. Many people think Australia = Sydney and New Zealand = Auckland and would not even look for other AU-NZ airports. Do not bother or just do not know.

The Queensland state govt and the BNE airport are offering a financial incentive for new flights to QLD. (The poor QLD taxpayers $$$ at work)
So not a 100% airline commercial decision. Link --> Attracting Aviation Investment Fund

Brisbane and (northern) Queensland is more of a southern hemisphere winter May June July destination. Better weather and not as humid in May June July the further north you go. Brisbane as a city not that interesting (unbiased view from a Victorian !)

Edit
From AFF 07 Feb by rhett
I flew the new BNE-LAX routes return on the UA283/284 service in the past fortnight with my partner, in economy on a Virgin redemption booking. Both flights were relatively empty (approx 70 pax on the Dreamliner) and we each had a row to ourselves.

Service could not be faulted. Check in experience was faultless. United however wouldn’t honour Virgin gold status extra bag for check-in (Which the Virgin website claims is a benefit for gold members travelling on United flights). Seats included USB charging and wifi. Free wifi was limited to iMessage/Whatsapp texting.

Far superior to my Qantas experience. Will definitely give them a try again.
uanj likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 24, 2024 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:00 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by JClasstraveller
I’m talking about the Australian real estate market which operates differently to the US.

The fixed term mortgages have or are close to reaching their end of term which means ppl are having to find an extra $2k-3k per month to fund their mortgage

And real estate in the east coast of Australia is ridiculous.
"Equity, mate"

Mid-/late-2000s US bubble is child's play compared to Oz.
uanj likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
If I was to go to Brisbane, I think I would want to go in any other season other than the summer. Summer seems a bit hot there. I went to Sydney, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island, and Melbourne in November and there were a couple days that were scorching hot.
AJNEDC likes this.
Old Feb 23, 2024, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
If I was to go to Brisbane, I think I would want to go in any other season other than the summer. Summer seems a bit hot there. I went to Sydney, Adelaide, Kangaroo Island, and Melbourne in November and there were a couple days that were scorching hot.
The continent of Australia is large and has a wide variation in climate north to south, coastal to and (red) centre. The north does not a have a summer-winter. More of dry vs wet season with a big variation in humidity. I was at OOL a few days ago, close to BNE, and while it was not that hot (compared to SYD MEL) on a thermometer the humidity was tending to oppressive.
November & April are good times to visit being between the peaks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brisbane
Look at Climate data for Brisbane (Brisbane, 1999–2022)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.