Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM conversion coming “late February” according to app

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

For those of you expecting this to roll out at the end of the status year. According to the app, you’ll be able to convert your MQM’s sometime in the end of February.

Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Late February through the end of the year right? Not sure why one would rush to make a decision without knowing how their MQDs end up organically. Perhaps if you wanted to use the RDMs.
andrewk829 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Late February through the end of the year right? Not sure why one would rush to make a decision without knowing how their MQDs end up organically. Perhaps if you wanted to use the RDMs.
Yes, to my understanding it you should be able to make a selection through the end of the year.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 8:56 pm

To get the CBs earlier.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: 2018: Delta Diamond Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
I tried researching it, but what will the conversion "choices" be? I see where there's an option to extend CY status 1-year for every 100,000 MQMs being rolled over, but is there any other detail about other options already published?
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz President's Circle
My rollover MQMs are still reading 0, even when clicking on the link under "recent activity". Anyone else seeing the same thing? Probably too early to worry about them disappearing due to random IT glitch? 🤔
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by dafunk10
I tried researching it, but what will the conversion "choices" be? I see where there's an option to extend CY status 1-year for every 100,000 MQMs being rolled over, but is there any other detail about other options already published?
As I recall, there will be two additional options for converting MQM balances. in addition to extending your current status for 1 year per 100k MQM, you will also have the choice to convert your MQM balance to either redeemable miles - at a 2:1 ratio, I think, or to MQDs. I think that one is a 20:1 ratio.

So If I am remembering correctly, 100,000 MQMs would convert to a) one additional year (2025) at your current status, or b) 50,000 RDMs, or c) 5,000 MQDs

It is also my understanding that they will be offering some level of "mix & match", though I haven't seen any details on how that will be implemented. In my case I will have a little more than 250k of rollover. I have no shot at spending $28,000 (base fare, more like $35k total), so I plan use 200k to extend my Diamond status through 2025 & 2026. The remaining 50k I will probably convert to 25,000 RDMs since the other option, $2,500 MQD isn't really enough to move the needle (plus, by using the extension, there is no benefit to earning MQDs anyway - and they don't carry over from year to year).

Also, their FAQ says that if you take the status extension and then earn a status level organically, they will not extend your extended status, rather they will run concurrently. So if I take the 2 year extension and then somehow manage to hit the spend requirement in 2025, I don't get anything "extra" for hitting that spend - just the RDMS that I would have earned anyway from buying the tickets.
safigan and AvalancheDog like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
After the program changes were amended “based on customer feedback”, the conversion rate was set at 1MQD for 10 MQM’s
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Yes, everyone should wait untill november/december before making an decision. Lets see how the status progress is going during the year and what kind of changes will be announced for 2025. Also from speaking with an internal DL contact any decision you make about your MQM's will be FINAL. We will most likely see an pop-up window asking to re-confirm any MQM decision as once you click to convert them they are gone for good. They made this to avoid having thousands of people calling in with an "i have changed my mind" story asking to get the MQM's back.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:33 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If someone is counting on the rollover to make status again, that means people could lose status for most of February, which will be frustrating to some people. I wonder if they will extend 2023 status until the conversion is ready to go?

ETA: also, I just noticed an oddity. When I click on the link to view my Sky Miles card (under quick links on the account page), it says that my current status expires Jan 31, 2026. Of course this is an error, but it seems like things are not working well for this change (shocking, I know).

Last edited by jdrtravel; Jan 7, 2024 at 5:39 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
As I recall, there will be two additional options for converting MQM balances. in addition to extending your current status for 1 year per 100k MQM, you will also have the choice to convert your MQM balance to either redeemable miles - at a 2:1 ratio, I think, or to MQDs. I think that one is a 20:1 ratio.

So If I am remembering correctly, 100,000 MQMs would convert to a) one additional year (2025) at your current status, or b) 50,000 RDMs, or c) 5,000 MQDs

It is also my understanding that they will be offering some level of "mix & match", though I haven't seen any details on how that will be implemented. In my case I will have a little more than 250k of rollover. I have no shot at spending $28,000 (base fare, more like $35k total), so I plan use 200k to extend my Diamond status through 2025 & 2026. The remaining 50k I will probably convert to 25,000 RDMs since the other option, $2,500 MQD isn't really enough to move the needle (plus, by using the extension, there is no benefit to earning MQDs anyway - and they don't carry over from year to year).

Also, their FAQ says that if you take the status extension and then earn a status level organically, they will not extend your extended status, rather they will run concurrently. So if I take the 2 year extension and then somehow manage to hit the spend requirement in 2025, I don't get anything "extra" for hitting that spend - just the RDMS that I would have earned anyway from buying the tickets.
This is all documented in detail in the T&Cs at the very bottom of this page (scroll all the way down and click on link for them) -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

The late February start date for conversions may be just covering their behinds if things aren't working by Feb 1. They have stated Feb 1 would be start date in T&Cs and it is still there. I suspect the 6 to 8 week delay number for Amex 2500 MQD Headstart posting is probably overly pessimistic as well.

Some people have mistakenly been lead to believe that you can only extend status for a maximum of 5 years. If you read the example below carefully, it becomes clear the 5 year maximum number was referring to the example case of someone with 550K in rollover. It would not apply to someone with 600K or more in rollover MQM. There is no hard 5 year maximum.

indufan and DCAhome like this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 7, 2024 at 6:19 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 7:15 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
The 2500 MQD bonus per AmEx card might be linked with the February statement date for that card, that’s why they reserve the full month to manage expectations
ebayj likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:29 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If someone is counting on the rollover to make status again, that means people could lose status for most of February
Status is already earned through the end of 2024. And the status extension starting in 2025 will be for the same status level as 2024. So it will be seamless.

Now, if someone converts MQMs to MQDs to make a higher 2025 status than they have in 2024, then they'd have to wait until late February. It seems like an improbable scenario, though.

Last edited by safigan; Jan 7, 2024 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 7, 2024, 11:59 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Will “extended DM status” come with choice bennies? If so, plat and diamond would conceivably get you 45k rdms plus guc plus whatever other DM benefit you choose ($500 statement credit for me)
Old Jan 7, 2024, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by SeaHawg
Will “extended DM status” come with choice bennies? If so, plat and diamond would conceivably get you 45k rdms plus guc plus whatever other DM benefit you choose ($500 statement credit for me)
if you read the FAQ page that xliioper linked, that question is addressed.

In short, if you used MQMs to extend DM status, you will get DM choice benefits for those extra years, but you will not get PM CBs unless you actually *earn* them by hitting the PM spend threshold each year. Incidentally, this is also true of the new MM rules for “lifetime annual” PM & DM.

What’s not clear right now is *when* you will get those CBs - especially in the case of multiple year extension. If they issue them on Feb 1 of each year, we could see the (currently impossible) scenario of getting the DM CBs many months before the PM ones.
SeaHawg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.