FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MQM conversion coming “late February” according to app
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:57 am
xliioper
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
As I recall, there will be two additional options for converting MQM balances. in addition to extending your current status for 1 year per 100k MQM, you will also have the choice to convert your MQM balance to either redeemable miles - at a 2:1 ratio, I think, or to MQDs. I think that one is a 20:1 ratio.

So If I am remembering correctly, 100,000 MQMs would convert to a) one additional year (2025) at your current status, or b) 50,000 RDMs, or c) 5,000 MQDs

It is also my understanding that they will be offering some level of "mix & match", though I haven't seen any details on how that will be implemented. In my case I will have a little more than 250k of rollover. I have no shot at spending $28,000 (base fare, more like $35k total), so I plan use 200k to extend my Diamond status through 2025 & 2026. The remaining 50k I will probably convert to 25,000 RDMs since the other option, $2,500 MQD isn't really enough to move the needle (plus, by using the extension, there is no benefit to earning MQDs anyway - and they don't carry over from year to year).

Also, their FAQ says that if you take the status extension and then earn a status level organically, they will not extend your extended status, rather they will run concurrently. So if I take the 2 year extension and then somehow manage to hit the spend requirement in 2025, I don't get anything "extra" for hitting that spend - just the RDMS that I would have earned anyway from buying the tickets.
This is all documented in detail in the T&Cs at the very bottom of this page (scroll all the way down and click on link for them) -- https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

The late February start date for conversions may be just covering their behinds if things aren't working by Feb 1. They have stated Feb 1 would be start date in T&Cs and it is still there. I suspect the 6 to 8 week delay number for Amex 2500 MQD Headstart posting is probably overly pessimistic as well.

Some people have mistakenly been lead to believe that you can only extend status for a maximum of 5 years. If you read the example below carefully, it becomes clear the 5 year maximum number was referring to the example case of someone with 550K in rollover. It would not apply to someone with 600K or more in rollover MQM. There is no hard 5 year maximum.

Last edited by xliioper; Jan 7, 2024 at 6:19 am