Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye plastic cups

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2023, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by bladerunner6
But that doesnt change the fact that the US makes a tremendous amount of plastics that are made from a non-renewable resource that end up in landfills and in the environment.
Yes, but there is already a simple solution that has already been adopted in many parts or the world (Japan, Northern Europe, Scandanvia, etc.) which is the incineration of plastic (and other waste) in WTE (Waste to Energy) facilities. Until we have eliminated power generation from fossil fuels, this is unquestionably the best solution.

Virtue signalling (e.g. switching to paper cups in airplanes) simply delays the adoption of real solutions like WTE incineration.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
From an environmental standpoint, I suppose this makes sense. What press releases never address, though, is the effect on the flavor of the beverage. Just the taste of the paper on my tongue is vile enough. Plastic, at least, isn't that much worse than glass (the ideal from a taste standpoint).
Old Dec 22, 2023, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

This thread has run its course
Merry Xmas
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
Hepsaint likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.