Wiki Posts
Search

Goodbye plastic cups

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Goodbye plastic cups

Delta is phasing out plastic cups in favor of new paper cups. Same cups for all drinks, hot and cold. Trial underway with full rollout in 2024.

https://news.delta.com/sustainable-science-how-delta-eliminating-7m-pounds-single-use-plastic-board-new-paper-cups
sushanna1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
Got the cups on a flight last week...No excuses now for nursing your drinks! Bottoms up!
dw and Firstboss like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 3:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I’ve had the paper cups on AS and while I don’t love them, I’m okay with this. In Y, because they are always collecting trash, it’s shocking how often the plastic cups really are only used once before being disposed of.
sushanna1 and m.y like this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Paper is both renewable and biodegradable. I'm in favor.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
1. "Paper" cups have a pfas or other similar plastic liner.
2. Plastic cups can be easily recycled especially from a controlled environment like an airplane.
3. If you incinerate plastic cups in a Waste to Energy facility like they do in most of northern Europe, Scandanavia, Japan and Korea, the carbon footprint of plastic cups is less than that of paper.

The switch to paper cups is just virtue signalling and only works because they have dumb customers.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Wow, making lots of assumptions there...bully for all those smarter countries that are so smarter than us rubes!
Old Dec 19, 2023, 12:07 am

I support Delta’s decision to switch to paper cups. I think it’s a great initiative to reduce plastic waste and environmental impact.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 6:47 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Can't wait for whiskey on ice in a paper cup! But why would they care?
Old Dec 19, 2023, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Originally Posted by 5khours
1. "Paper" cups have a pfas or other similar plastic liner.
2. Plastic cups can be easily recycled especially from a controlled environment like an airplane.
3. If you incinerate plastic cups in a Waste to Energy facility like they do in most of northern Europe, Scandanavia, Japan and Korea, the carbon footprint of plastic cups is less than that of paper.

The switch to paper cups is just virtue signalling and only works because they have dumb customers.
If you actually read the article, they are not using a plastic liner. These cups are compostable and recyclable where facilities exist.

If you think FAs and cleaners reliably sort plastic cups for proper recycling, I have a property to sell you in beautiful Prudhoe Bay. Even if plastic cups do make it to "recycling," they are not truly recycled into new cups. Paper can really be recycled into new paper. Reality is most of these cups are going to end up in landfills and I'd rather have them be compostable paper than plastic.
dw, DenverBrian, halls120 and 9 others like this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Dec 19, 2023 at 7:11 am
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:46 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, Marriott, Hertz, National, Chic-fil-A
I'd say good, unless you order a cocktail. Something about sipping a beer, wine, or whiskey & Coke out of a paper cup I find cheap and unappealing.

For alcohol, they should serve beer from the can, and wine/cocktails in a glass like in F or washable plastic cup. All other bevs in paper fine with me. This should work with the initiative of eliminating single-use plastics.

Anecdotally, I've had countless experiences when I've ordered a coffee with cream and I get a coffee cup, and a second plastic cup containing 1-2 of those little creamer tubes, napkin and stir-stick. Sometimes, 2 (two!) plastic cups containing the coffee accessories. What an absolute waste of materials and money with a significant environmental impact. Stop that, Delta. Just hand us the stuff and we can manage it from there.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 10:53 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
I recall Delta was recently testing more durable reusable plastic cups; I guess this means that test didn’t work out for some reason or another.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 11:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Wouldn't paper cups quickly go to mush with ice inside it?
strickerj and ohhleary like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:14 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Wouldn't paper cups quickly go to mush with ice inside it?
Just like a paper straw....we peaked as a civilization back in 2019.
DataPlumber, JBJ2435, jmrp and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:46 pm

Can't be worse than those wooden utensils that stick to your lips lol. I'm game to give it a go...
ATLintheair likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Nothing says “premium” like a paper cup.
rylan, JBJ2435, JimP and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.