Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Advice on converting rollover 2024 MQMs to: MQDs or RDMs or extended status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on converting rollover 2024 MQMs to: MQDs or RDMs or extended status

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2024, 1:39 am

Originally Posted by T-15.01
for all of the status year bankers/roll-over'ers, any wisdom in changing ST earn strategy?

e.g. if you have rolled over 1 or more years, then your MQD for those rolled over years are now null and void.

While flying DL, it still probably makes most sense to apply DL Sky Miles number to not just earn, but to get status benefits.
But on any other ST partner, given MQD means nothing - is it better to earn on another partner, say Flying Blue?

I have a few flights coming up with KL and could maybe hit Platinum with them. Don't know if that just complicates things?
Why? As a DM extender and STE+ what additional benefit would that give me? Better to chase status on Star Alliance or oneworld.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Why? As a DM extender and STE+ what additional benefit would that give me? Better to chase status on Star Alliance or oneworld.
this is the question. I think the benefit ratio to each of us is different.

But consider you fly KL JFK-AMS in J. You'll get around 36XP and around 3000 Flying Blue Miles.
If you post the same flight to DL as a DM you'll get ~17,000 miles and MQD that mean nothing right now.
Definitely a benefit to get Delta Miles - but - if you can get to Silver, Gold or Platinum with Flying Blue, that same route nets you 4500, 5250 or 6000 miles. Still not what you're getting from Delta, but you are getting status on another STE partner, and earning miles there which may or may not be a better flexible plan to have some ready and available.

Also, at a minimum, if you get to Gold with FB, you earn lounge access which may be a bonus given all the changes Delta are imposing.
Old Mar 29, 2024, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by xliioper
I wouldn't upfare just for better upgrade chances, but the SDC benefit of C+ fares is not insubstantial (any open C+/Main vs. requiring original booking class inventory). Particularly if you are on a cheap V fare where there is unlikely to be original booking inventory on flights.
Thank you, that is an interesting point I had previously overlooked. Same-Day Flight Changes | Delta Air Lines I can see that as a good option if flight flexibility is an important factor (plus the added bonus of a better chance at FC upgrade.)

However, I am still wondering how easy C+ SDC will be (esp if more people buying to improve FC odds) and also as a strategy for FC upgrades. I honestly don't know the answer to the following points and would welcome the experience of others.

. 1) While a small sample of around 20 segments in 2024 (both main cabin and paid FC) I always check UG success and the standby list for my own information, and about half of the flights have had 0 available FC 2+ hours out and often very limited or zero C+. I don't know if Delta processes gate upgrades before that window, but I assume they may hold some seats for last minute sale (ormaybe even SDC).
. 2) I haven't studied it extensively, but my impression is that C+ often seems to between a third and halfway between the fare for Main and FC. Depending on the details of the flight and target SDC options, a competing strategy might be to buy FC or use RUCs on select flights the flights and Main on the other flights (to the extent you can guess the likelihood of upgrade success.)
. 3) Since Silver Medallion can change seats to C+ beginning 24 hours before departure, SDC to a flight that is within 24 hours of departure may have even more limited C+ availability.
. 4) Limited data set, but I've noted lots of flights lately (typically 6-18 C+ seats) have had no C+ available at booking, esp on longer segments. Other than the 2 C+ seats they seem to block out until just prior to boarding, I assume this might make SDC unavailable.

I'm always amazed how some flights seem to fill up in the last few days before departure while others have several open upgrades, sometimes with no obvious pattern.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 4:00 am

Originally Posted by gm1955
Thank you, that is an interesting point I had previously overlooked. Same-Day Flight Changes | Delta Air Lines I can see that as a good option if flight flexibility is an important factor (plus the added bonus of a better chance at FC upgrade.)

However, I am still wondering how easy C+ SDC will be (esp if more people buying to improve FC odds) and also as a strategy for FC upgrades. I honestly don't know the answer to the following points and would welcome the experience of others.

. 1) While a small sample of around 20 segments in 2024 (both main cabin and paid FC) I always check UG success and the standby list for my own information, and about half of the flights have had 0 available FC 2+ hours out and often very limited or zero C+. I don't know if Delta processes gate upgrades before that window, but I assume they may hold some seats for last minute sale (ormaybe even SDC).
. 2) I haven't studied it extensively, but my impression is that C+ often seems to between a third and halfway between the fare for Main and FC. Depending on the details of the flight and target SDC options, a competing strategy might be to buy FC or use RUCs on select flights the flights and Main on the other flights (to the extent you can guess the likelihood of upgrade success.)
. 3) Since Silver Medallion can change seats to C+ beginning 24 hours before departure, SDC to a flight that is within 24 hours of departure may have even more limited C+ availability.
. 4) Limited data set, but I've noted lots of flights lately (typically 6-18 C+ seats) have had no C+ available at booking, esp on longer segments. Other than the 2 C+ seats they seem to block out until just prior to boarding, I assume this might make SDC unavailable.

I'm always amazed how some flights seem to fill up in the last few days before departure while others have several open upgrades, sometimes with no obvious pattern.
In my experience they virtually always hold back 2 C+ seats (first row aisle and middle) for disabled passengers that are most often available for upgrade at the gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.