Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Announcing Changes to Status Qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Announcing Changes to Status Qualification

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
All in all, this is a surprising turn of events and points to Delta being very worried. I know we always have these threads where people say every flight have been on is packed so Ed can do what he likes but this came from something in the data too. It could have been what Amex was already seeing in collapsing spend / downgrades / cancellations or maybe concern in forward bookings from normally trapped customers.

I still hope a lot of people keep their eyes open. Delta let the mask slip there for a second and its only virtue was some level of truth: there are not enough upgrades for the Diamonds let alone anyone else . So WFBF is the most rational strategy and do not divert a single cent to them (or any of the airlines for that matter) expecting some future outsized benefit.
dw, ATLCDG, halls120 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM (3 MM) ; Sky Club (Lifetime)
Thanks to the flyertalk community

My congratulations and appreciation to those of us who responded to the initially announced changes with messages voicing our displeasure and disappointment.
This is clearly a testimony to the collective power of the stakeholders, in this case Delta loyalists.
Had no voices been registered, who knows what future devaluations may have been imposed.
Now I will probably re-book several flights back to Delta that I'd switched to competitors.
Hopefully, these revised changes will "stick" without future devaluations.
If they do not, it's back to my (short-lived) free agency.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Very shocked about the increased million miler annual status levels, don’t shoot me, but 3 MM should have been DM, but I’m not complaining.

Lots to be digested. I have a unused $15,000 credit line on the DL blue card since 2020, wonder if AmEx will allow to break out the credit line to $5,000 DL Platinum and $10,000 for DL reserve and sock draw the cards just for the $5,000 annual MQD status boost for $800 annual fee? Wonder if I could the same with a business Platinum and Reserve for a total $10,000 MQD status boost. Makes DM then
18,000 MQD’s.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1M, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
As a 1MM, the Gold Status annually, as I head into retirement, will keep me flying Delta.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
It would have been useful in a pickle to book a $1,000 boutique or luxury hotel stay or something to get an extra MQD boost towards a status goal. I am actually disappointed this is no longer an option.
But then there's this:

Originally Posted by Adelphos
What if I already booked a Delta Car Rental and/or Delta Stay for 2024 travel?
MQDs for eligible bookings made through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays between September 14 and October 31, 2023 for 2024 travel will be honored.
Does this only apply to prepaid reservations? Yesterday I booked a hotel reservation with the pay later option and am wondering if I will still get MQDs for it?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by JoelA
The 3 MM level change just kept me from becoming a free agent.

If that's their mission, then it's accomplished.

Happy here!
Ditto here.

I am comfortably above 3 MM. Would have been a lot closer to 4MM if Leo Mullen hadn't driven me away to Continental for two years when he tried to slit open the goose to get all the golden eggs at once. It has been said that corporations don't have memories. Clearly, the lesson that Leo learned did not stay resident in DL's corporate thinking.

Certainly, annual DM status offers me some flexibility. I had decided that the reduced quality of DL's service did not warrant chasing status. Now I need not worry about that. What remains to be seen is whether DL can improve their product sufficiently to attract my business. My Delta One trip to Europe in a few weeks will be a data point. My last experience with Delta One showed that service had not returned to pre-Covid standards.
rcsgeorgia likes this.

Last edited by StayingHomeIsBetter; Oct 18, 2023 at 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
Originally Posted by WyomingBound
My biggest surprise of all is they did nothing with the money earned on CC spending, still 20:1 and 10:1 unless I missed it......did I?
I'm no longer interested in maintaining status, so converting Amex spend to MQDs has no benefit to me. Clearly Delta is only interested in high $ customers. I've already made Platinum for 2024, and will apply my MQMs toward miles.

Originally Posted by Adam1222
Given how many rushed to cancel their Amex Platinum and Delta Reserve cards already, or to swear off flying Delta, that remains to be seen.
90% of them would’ve come back anyway
DrMilano likes this.

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
Hahahaha Delta.
CptnInc and LowValueCustomer like this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
They have signaled pretty clearly where the destination is in their minds, so if not in 2025, for sure in 2026 they will be back to the levels they want.
Honestly I'm floored by how much they walked things back, including the rollover for high-MQM accounts. MM program just got a huuuuge shot in the arm. It's actually worth something now (esp 2M+).
I am not to surprised with the MQM accounts, I mentioned earlier, with the 35K MQD it was close enough to AA CK to make me think hard about it. Those are the people they want. I

I am a little surprised the Amex club access is still so low. That is where I think it gets interesting since I assume most people have the reserve card for access and is 15 enough to keep people on the card. Rember at the end of the day it is all about Amex.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
The devil here is in the details. I think the "choose complimentary Medallion Status at your current tier for one year per every 100,000 MQMs" is an exciting change, although it's unclear to me if that is the current (year 2023) status or the status we're earning currently for 2024. That would mean the difference between DM (me this year) and PM (me next year) which would be significant. Any clarifications?
I'm in the exact same boat, and I hope they clarify this with their full announcement. Because some people have already earned 2024 status, and more will earn it by 12/31/23, that's what they'll extend. I hope the phrase "current tier" was just an unfortunately vague choice of words.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM, DL PM 2MM
As a 2MM that change in MM program also bought me
wineandtravel likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Based on these changes, it appears the AmEx revenue is what's driving the bus here.
Air Houston likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by skislc

Guessing the internal backlash/card cancellations they saw were pretty extreme to prompt such a softening of requirements. It's not perfect, but this is still rewarding enough to keep me in the DL universe, albeit directing a few more glances towards AA/Oneworld than I might have in the past, given the much greater utility of AA miles for last-minute tix (which I buy a fair number of for pow chases ).
I am sure that 10 visits make it hard to justify the price of a reserve card, and really I Still think 15 is not enough. That is $750 worth of visits and then a F cert that is hit and miss.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 3:47 pm

So.. if I've hit PM for 2024 and have 200K MQM's, do I quality for 2 years extension or just one year? Is it 200K/100K = 2, or is it (200K-75K)/100K = 1

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.