Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Announcing Changes to Status Qualification

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton, Delta, Hyatt, MGM

It looks like Delta will be rolling back some of the qualification changes after "We received valuable feedback from our SkyMiles® Members about changes to our SkyMiles Program".

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...0_BTN_79335541
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:22 pm

I honestly think this is the best you could have hoped for. Credit card is still useless, but it brings DM back into reach for an actual "frequent" flyer.

Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Greater Flexibility for Delta Sky Club Access:

We know how much you value the Delta Sky Club experience and will increase access for Members with a Delta SkyMiles® Reserve and Delta SkyMiles® Reserve Business American Express Card. These changes will go into effect starting February 1, 2025.
  • Card Members will now receive 15 days per year (up from 10 visits); all visits made in a 24-hour period will count as one day.
  • Card Members will also be able to purchase Club access for $50 per day after using all allotted days.
  • Card Members can earn unlimited Delta Sky Club access after spending $75,000 on an eligible card in a calendar year.
  • Medallion Members also have the option of purchasing an annual individual Delta Sky Club membership for $695.

More Options for MQM Rollover Balances:

We have heard from many Members who had long-term plans for their Medallion Qualifying Miles (MQM) Rollover balances. Customers with high balances will receive special multi-year options to extend their Status, including the ability to choose complimentary Medallion Status at your current tier for one year per every 100,000 MQMs.

More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term Loyalty:

We want our long-term loyalists to know how much you’re truly appreciated. Effective February 1, 2024, we are significantly upgrading annual Complimentary Status achievement levels for all Million Milers.
  • 6M+ from Diamond Medallion to Delta 360°™
  • 5M from Platinum Medallion to Delta 360°™
  • 4M from Platinum Medallion to Diamond Medallion
  • 3M from Gold Medallion to Diamond Medallion
  • 2M from Gold Medallion to Platinum Medallion
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:23 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
They must have been really losing customers as I'm surprised just how much they rolled back changes.

Sky Club access goes from visits to days of access and the numbers increased across the board. MQDs have also come way down

Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL DM-2MM, BA Gold, A3 Gold, AF Plat
The most surprising thing is the MM level changes. Wow, just wow.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: SkyPesos -> MVP Gold 100K
Great changes in some areas. But am I cynical for thinking this just means they're 'delaying' the original changes until 2025?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:27 pm

These changes don't do much for me... I am going to fall between Platinum and Diamond and it's just too big of a gap between 15,000 MQD and 28,000 MQD. Without the GUCs, I personally don't see it being worth it to me. The million miler changes would be pretty significant for some 3M Gold->Diamond
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:27 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Way bigger rollback than I was expecting, tbh. 15 club access days (way better metric than individual visits) a year is a lot more workable than the previous 10 visits, that combined with the $2,500 boost just for holding the card (and the ability to cough up $50 for entry if I mis-calculate and then need club access for a long layover or if IROPS hits) makes the value still there for me.

I'll hit GM pretty easily with this scheme (and probably would with even a bit less Amex spend than I've done previously), which is probably the level I "should" have if it wasn't for all the covid rollovers, given my travel patterns (and the level I'd hit on UA/AA). Keeping PM is now still doable for heavier travel years or if I pushed a chunk more spend towards Amex (close enough now that it might be worth trying some creative stuff like attempting to put my mortgage on the card).

Guessing the internal backlash/card cancellations they saw were pretty extreme to prompt such a softening of requirements. It's not perfect, but this is still rewarding enough to keep me in the DL universe, albeit directing a few more glances towards AA/Oneworld than I might have in the past, given the much greater utility of AA miles for last-minute tix (which I buy a fair number of for pow chases ).
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:30 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by Cheesemaster200
I honestly think this is the best you could have hoped for. Credit card is still useless, but it brings DM back into reach for an actual "frequent" flyer.
The $2,500 MQD per card isn't terrible, if you're going to use the companion certificate. Still not great for actually spending money on, though. Now if they bring out MQD signup bonuses like they used to have MQM signup bonuses... (pretty sure I've never had the personal plat?)
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:31 pm

With 400,000 rollover MQMs keeping DM for the next 4 years is a huge steal. I don’t need to spend or fly. I thought I would be converting them for 50,000 RDMs per 100,000 MQMs. What a change!

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Oct 18, 2023 at 2:38 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
The devil here is in the details. I think the "choose complimentary Medallion Status at your current tier for one year per every 100,000 MQMs" is an exciting change, although it's unclear to me if that is the current (year 2023) status or the status we're earning currently for 2024. That would mean the difference between DM (me this year) and PM (me next year) which would be significant. Any clarifications?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Keep your 2024 status. For just 100k rollover. Nice.

I am impressed with this:

Last edited by shoodawg; Oct 18, 2023 at 2:37 pm
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by skislc
Way bigger rollback than I was expecting, tbh. 15 club access days (way better metric than individual visits) a year is a lot more workable than the previous 10 visits, that combined with the $2,500 boost just for holding the card (and the ability to cough up $50 for entry if I mis-calculate and then need club access for a long layover or if IROPS hits) makes the value still there for me.

I'll hit GM pretty easily with this scheme (and probably would with even a bit less Amex spend than I've done previously), which is probably the level I "should" have if it wasn't for all the covid rollovers, given my travel patterns (and the level I'd hit on UA/AA). Keeping PM is now still doable for heavier travel years or if I pushed a chunk more spend towards Amex (close enough now that it might be worth trying some creative stuff like attempting to put my mortgage on the card).

Guessing the internal backlash/card cancellations they saw were pretty extreme to prompt such a softening of requirements. It's not perfect, but this is still rewarding enough to keep me in the DL universe, albeit directing a few more glances towards AA/Oneworld than I might have in the past, given the much greater utility of AA miles for last-minute tix (which I buy a fair number of for pow chases ).
I have a Plat and a Plat Business in my name- does that mean $5,000 MQDs in bonuses just for showing up? That, in itself, is a massive redemption on the part of DL for the initial changes.

$1 MQD for each $20 spent is still comical, though.
ATLCDG, dmarge18 and BSAChris like this.

Programs: DL DM; HH gold
Originally Posted by secretalcoholic
Great changes in some areas. But am I cynical for thinking this just means they're 'delaying' the original changes until 2025?
They have signaled pretty clearly where the destination is in their minds, so if not in 2025, for sure in 2026 they will be back to the levels they want.
Honestly I'm floored by how much they walked things back, including the rollover for high-MQM accounts. MM program just got a huuuuge shot in the arm. It's actually worth something now (esp 2M+).

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum ; Hilton Gold; Hertz 5*, Delta DM. Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
As someone with close to 500K MQMs just sitting there, it will be tempting to lock in the next 4-5 years as a diamond...but that assumes it it a match of 2023 status, I will fall to Platinum for 2024.

What are others with lots of MQMs thinking?
Old Oct 18, 2023, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
With 400,000 rollover MQMs keeping DM for the next 4 years is a huge steal.
In addition to the question I asked right after yours, do you think they would they take away 125K for the DM you would have earned on top of the 100K / year?
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.