Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Statusone year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status.
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades).
  3. Million Miler status.
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card holders.
  5. Delta Corporate.
  6. MQDs earned in current calendar year.
  7. Date and time of upgrade request.

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, HHonors Diamond, DL Gold
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
DL's competition is AA and UA. Does Delta want to compete with UA/AA or the likes of Emirates or Singapore? It's not the latter two - I can guarantee there's no discussion at DL (or UA) about competing soft-product-wise with the leading int'l airlines. That would mean putting more FAs in cabins and upgrading the soft product significantly. In reality, DL just wants to stay slightly ahead or (at worst), even, w/ UA/AA. Those are the two airlines (wide domestic and int'l networks) they compete with for the large part of their customer base. Your observation above works just as well for UA.
I agree that Delta sees its competition being AA and UA. On the other hand, most people who want to pay for quality premium lodging options such as Four Seasons, Oberoi, Taj, Mandarin Oriental, Peninsula, Rosewood, etc., they are not staying because of loyalty programs. Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, IGH and others have loyalty programs, but a good number of people will book for luxury stays outside of that framework. Getting back to the Delta, or any other US domestic airline, if one wants a better experience (I agree that Premium is relative and Delta isn't competitive with select Asian and Middle Eastern airlines on premium product or service), its available at a price. Sure, being a Delta Medallion feels good, but people should think carefully about what they are really getting. If credit card spend went elsewhere, the opportunity cost would likely unlock better value.

I will continue to fly Delta. After next year, my participation as a Medallion member will be a thing in the past. It will be quite liberating not thinking about making minimum cc spend to get an MQD waiver.

For disappointed members... What are you clinging to?
Delta made their move. The next move is yours.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:50 am

Programs: Blinged Out
Originally Posted by computerpro3
Driving 350k of spend through the reserve card is a poor choice of rewards relative to a theoretical, micromanaged, optimized solution. But it's also only a few grand I'm losing to guarantee a more valuable, rarer status level. This might actually make it more worth it to me - when my CC spend is a couple million bucks a year, $350k isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.
Ding ding ding! As a DM waiver customer/business owner, this is my calculus as well. This is why I am willing to go one year and evaluate if there is any difference in 2025-2026. Yes, 350k spend on my cap1 could net me 700k extra transferrable points which is the equivalent to 6-10 J one-way TATL trips through Air Canada or Flying Blue deep discounted awards
Old Sep 16, 2023, 1:51 am

Programs: American Express Platinum, Chase Sapphire Reserve
Originally Posted by nall
This is absolutely correct, and I believe this is precisely who Delta is targeting now with these changes.
I find this dubious, for the following reason: spending $350K on a Reserve just to get DM for a single person is one of the least efficient ways to spend money there is. I mean, for a sole proprietor, maybe it makes sense if they value status with a single airline more than nearly anything else, but for a CFO running a business with many employees, I can tell you while they tolerate employees using business travel to get status, they really couldn't give a rat's ... what level of status their employees attain. They want to get people from A to B efficiently, and they don't want their employees wasting company money, much less are they going to divert all their company spend to one card. So we're basically talking small business here, sole proprietors or family businesses where the business = one person. So great, maybe that niche is going to do this - but it still is pretty absurd even in that case unless that's the only thing you value. If I had $350K to funnel through credit cards, I sure as hell wouldn't put it all through a Delta Reserve card. With that much spend you can do things way more intelligently and book yourself as much first class travel on points as you want on MANY airlines, not just SkyTeam, with the terrible points redemptions you get with SkyMiles.

I just don't see the logic here. These changes hurt almost every category of flier except the casual fliers who don't care about status, for which the changes mean very little except maybe less crowded SkyClubs in ATL and JFK.
IndyHoosier and tigress123 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 3:28 am

While I wish DL the best of luck, I think they're way over their skis this time. In my view, once this has been fully implemented, the PMs/DMs will drop enough where you'll start seeing some desperation elite promos, most likely via Corp channels. This strikes me as just replacing older less valuable consumers with younger ones with a longer runaway with potential OPM spend, at best.

While unflattering, we're only as good as our last at bat. If a road warrior has spent X for the past 30 years and about to retire, what's his/her value moving forward? Compare this to his counterpart starting 30 years younger. I suspect, they think the Mills will fall for this, and I think they're right.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 5:30 am

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by DrMilano
Interesting that program tenure is on opposite ends of the spectrum, as either > 10+ years or < 4 years, as Delta's conjecture with this program change is to capture the 46% less than 4 year demographic by influencing to spend more with Delta channels such as Delta vacations, hotels and car rentals. A majority of FT'ers would be in the > 10+ year demographic and too set in their ways to book the entire travel experience through Delta. Almost a quarter of Delta's customers earn more than double the median US income.

From the 9/14/2023 Morgan Stanley's 11th Annual Laguna Conference:

But, more change is still coming! Glen Hauenstein (Delta President) " think over the next several years, we'll announce additional changes to not only the qualifications, but to how a mile is awarded, I think there's opportunity for us to continue to work that."

"Moving to dollars, I think that was a good step forward in trying to match the value to us, the value to you. And I think this is the next step in matching that values, but I think there are additional steps we'll take over the next years to make sure that our best customers -- I mean this is the real tenet of this, our best customers are receiving truly premium experiences and continuing to work to elevate those for our best customers."

"I think when you look at what this is designed to do, it's to get a higher share of wallet for the people who we know can spend. And so, our hypothesis is that people will find their way to get to the levels they want to. That's the whole premise of the frequent flyer program, the loyalty program to begin, is to encourage behaviors that demonstrate loyalty to us and, in return, we give you benefits, right? And so, I think that's what this is designed to do. I think it's hopefully going to be stimulative."

"we're expecting our Amex remuneration to be just under $7 billion this year"

Mr Hauenstein needs to further explain "our bestcustomers are receiving truly premium experiences". Will this be on level with ME3 or Asian carriers? What benefits are you giving in return to your best customers by announcing increased MQD qualification thresholds without updating the Choice Benefits?

Delta wants to be a Four Seasons/Peninsula/Amam/Oberoi premium/luxury service brand, but is currently overpromising and underdeliver on the premium experience, such as lack of consistent PDB, D1 inflight meals, lack of D1 wine list, etc. Delta management is misaligned with reality, as there is way too much inconsistency with current their premium cabin experience offering.
Nothing like buying a RT domestic first class ticket to SFO from OH and getting a premium canned wine.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by buckeye91
Nothing like buying a RT domestic first class ticket to SFO from OH and getting a premium canned wine.
They continue being so deceptive about "premium". I've said on this forum so many times: there really isn't anything premium about Delta in any of the travel classes.

At best, it's an average airline with an average experience.

For truly premium, people should go elsewhere.
Spiff, rylan, IndyHoosier and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:07 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Visconti
While I wish DL the best of luck, I think they're way over their skis this time. In my view, once this has been fully implemented, the PMs/DMs will drop enough where you'll start seeing some desperation elite promos, most likely via Corp channels. This strikes me as just replacing older less valuable consumers with younger ones with a longer runaway with potential OPM spend, at best.

While unflattering, we're only as good as our last at bat. If a road warrior has spent X for the past 30 years and about to retire, what's his/her value moving forward? Compare this to his counterpart starting 30 years younger. I suspect, they think the Mills will fall for this, and I think they're right.
Bluntly - why do you wish DL the best of luck? Are we at the theatre and we all missed it? ;-)
rylan, smartytravel and synzero like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Bluntly - why do you wish DL the best of luck? Are we at the theatre and we all missed it? ;-)
Ah, before the pandemic, one of my larger investments were in DAL, both on a personal and institutional level. While I no longer have the investment because of the uncertainty during the pandemic, I know many who are still heavily vested in their success. So, it's a professional courtesy, I suppose. Except for the Dodgers, I don't think I've really wished ill or failure on anyone or institution. I'm generally just indifferent absent a financial interest.

As a consumer of theirs, I matter very little. And, in the long run, they matter very little to me too.
GrayAnderson likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 6:31 am

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Delta sure loves drama in many acts.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by synzero
I find this dubious, for the following reason: spending $350K on a Reserve just to get DM for a single person is one of the least efficient ways to spend money there is..
When a biz owner is spending a couple million a year through a CC, it is not practical to spend that volume in the most theoretically efficient way. I am telling you right now that a lot of the popular high value rewards cards WILL NOT give you a credit limit that even makes it possible to pump this much money through the cards. While Chase is the worst, almost every credit card company besides Amex will shut your account down if you make multiple payments per month (credit cycling).

You know the only brand that doesn't? Amex. I guarantee you they have a disproportional amount of biz customers who spend millions per year on their cards because they have no other choice. I am one of them. We sometimes spend $10k+ PER DAY on advertising on CC; I would have to pay off my Chase card every 3rd day which would get my account shut down - Amex gives me no fixed limit, but I have carried $500k balances no problem with them between all of my combined business cards.

Everyone saying nobody is going to put 350k spend through a Reserve is missing three key factors:
  • Those who have the ability to pump millions in spend through ANY CC are likely locked permanently into the Amex ecosystem due to their uniquely high limits and allowing of credit cycling
  • When you are spending millions per year on CC, the time and effort involved to get every last possible dime of efficiency out of $350k spend is just not worth my time and effort
  • Since most high spenders are locked into the Amex ecosystem, the rewards rate that you are really competing against is 1.1x on platinums. I have four gold cards that I get 4x on with a 150k cap, but I blow through that in a few months. After that, it's 1.1x for me (cashback through Schwab Amex Platinum).
Old Sep 16, 2023, 7:58 am

Programs: DL
So Im a 2 Million Miler about 1/2 way to 3M. Any idea on impact on these come 2025?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by geraldj100
So Im a 2 Million Miler about 1/2 way to 3M. Any idea on impact on these come 2025?
Impact of 9/14/23 Skymile changes on 2 Million Miler Status
ATLCDG and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 9:08 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Also my question - how does the DL reserve now work for Centurion lounges?
Old Sep 16, 2023, 9:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
DL's competition is AA and UA. Does Delta want to compete with UA/AA or the likes of Emirates or Singapore? It's not the latter two - I can guarantee there's no discussion at DL (or UA) about competing soft-product-wise with the leading int'l airlines. That would mean putting more FAs in cabins and upgrading the soft product significantly. In reality, DL just wants to stay slightly ahead or (at worst), even, w/ UA/AA. Those are the two airlines (wide domestic and int'l networks) they compete with for the large part of their customer base. Your observation above works just as well for UA.
85% of US air travel is Domestic to Domestic routes. A fair amount of the remaining D to I is North American where you’re competing against Air Canada, Aeromexico or other US carriers on Caribbean routes.

The amount of overlap with Singapore or Emirates’ route networks (or similar five star airlines) is os small there’s no real reason to spend extra money trying to compete with those on quality.
lsquare and hhdl like this.
Old Sep 16, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles KM (Charter Member)
Originally Posted by Adelphos
$75K on a Delta Reserve, plus $11K in flying MQD, gets you Platinum plus unlimited lounge access.

The question is - is Platinum worth it?
I really don't think so. I'm Platinum with the reserve card and rarely upgraded. Just be Silver, use another card for cash back spend, dump the $550 fee, and just buy lounge access instead. You're way ahead.
lsquare and Synapseturquoise like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.