Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Statusone year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status.
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades).
  3. Million Miler status.
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card holders.
  5. Delta Corporate.
  6. MQDs earned in current calendar year.
  7. Date and time of upgrade request.

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:05 pm

Well this sucks. I have been PM for a few years now, enough MQM and the Delta Plat AMEX waiver. I usually get enough MQM for DM but never spend enough $$ with Delta and the waiver isnt ever going to happen. Doing some estimating....i may stretch to get GM with these new 'upgrades'. Yeah...no thanks DL. I am glad they announced this now. I already made PM for 2024...but I'm outta here. I have to book some travel in October and I will now book on AA. I fly from an out station that has DL, AA and UA. I dont fly UA so AA here I come.

Anyone know who to call at AA for status match?
Spiff likes this.

Last edited by ChemGuy; Sep 14, 2023 at 9:13 pm
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL DM & 2MM; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by dburns
Wow - I had not noticed the removal of the Medallion Mileage Bonus - that has huge implications:

2023 JFK-ICN-SIN in J for a DM: KE marketed flights 62,547 RDM, 7818 MQD vs DL marketed flights (Assuming $6,000 face value ticket with $200 in taxes): 63,800 RDM, 5800 MQD. I'd probably pick KE marketed for 2000 more MQD and 1250 fewer RDM

2024 JFK-ICN-SIN in J for a DM: KE marketed flights 39,092 RDM, 5864 MQD vs DL marketed flights (Assuming $6,000 face value ticket with $200 in taxes): 63,800 RDM, 5800 MQD. I'd now pick DL marketed for 24,700 more RDM at the cost of 64 fewer MQD
The DL website still says Medallion bonus on AF/KLM and other ST partners.am I misreading this?

prgboy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:29 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
I suppose for many of us million milers this simplifies the process, particularly for those who also have the no longer available lifetime Sky Club memberships. Ill just give up the quest for making Platinum year after yearjust live with the Gold status, fly with Delta when it makes sense and pay for a United Economy Plus subscription and fly United in economy or first wherever they offer non stop flights. I can go back to looking for the best non-stop connections rather than flying transcontinental via intermediate hubs. Since there is no 50 percent MQM bonus toward higher million miler status for flying first or business, it takes the sting out of flying other carriers like American or United in premium cabins when they offer a better itinerary or price. Now I can just fly Lufthansa business non-stop to Frankfurt instead of though JFK, AMS or CDG.
Spiff, rylan, wrp96 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by LAXRuss; Sep 14, 2023 at 9:34 pm
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by ekozie
At least they won't be taking too many upgrades, since they fly infrequently enough.
Perhaps.... perhaps not... depends on the number of them.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:37 pm

Programs: DL 2MM/DM, Hilton LT Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by wooootles
Also we’re almost 50 pages deep in this clown show but I don’t believe we have heard from the $250k MQD DM waiver guys. I wonder how this changes their gameplan.
Keep on spending, as what's an other $100,000. This demographic is the self-employed/small business owners, which Ed "knows" can spend more with DL.

Originally Posted by dburns
If Delta was smart, they could make one simple change to reduce the pain and lock in loyalty in a similar fashion to what AA does with their LPs:
  • Platinum automatically gets $5,000 MQD to start the next year
  • Diamond automatically gets $10,000 MQD to start the next year
Think about it -- if you hit Diamond, you would get an automatic boost of $10,000 MQD to start the next year. That would be a strong incentive to stay in the Delta ecosystem, and make the $35,000 MQD requirement for Diamond a more modest $25,000 MQD, and not a huge increase over the current $20K. It would also make you strongly not want to lose Diamond status after achieving it since you'd lose the $10,000 MQD to start the year. Similar logic would apply for Platinum. - $5,000 MQD to start would make future re-qualification $13K vs the current $12K, and likewise create a strong incentive not to lose your Platinum status or else lose the $5,000 MQD to start the next year. AA does something similar with LP where if you have higher status, it is easier to re-qualify, and you don't want to lose that advantage.Giving Diamond/Platinum starting MQDs would function in a similar fashion to reward and lock customers in.

Maybe this is what they have in mind for future Platinum/Diamond enhancements. Just speculating, but I think something like this would make a lot of sense.
UA 1K status which requires 18,000 PQP and 54 segments deposited 2,250 PQP into my account for 2022 program earning CY--this bought United MillagePlus similar to Delta DM spend of $15,000 MQD. (I status matched to UA 1K in 2021 after I organically re-qualified for DL DM and Delta subsequently extended status for 2021 that outraged me). I'm not switching to UA as I can't stand connecting in either IAD or EWR, however, the Polaris lounges were nice. The pandemic year of 2021 was great to free agent all 3 legacy carriers, as Hyatt had a Globalist promo with AA for Platinum Pro, but CLT is awful connecting in and the CLT CL was a packed zoo. The DFW CL was also packed in 2021.

Originally Posted by DLHubber
Aside from the shockingly high MQDs, the fact that you have to start from scratch each year regardless of the status you earned the previous year is the most surprising change.
This is going to be a BIG wake up call, as it will be similar to the current 360's if they will be invited for the next year into the program as their CY spend resets each year.

Originally Posted by Palladio
Same situation here in San Diego. Alaska here I come.....

I see no reason to keep any of my Delta Amex cards going forward. The points were already a poor currency compared to other cards, and now that I've learned Delta has no problem retroactively devaluing over $350K of my credit card spend awarded MQM points to near zero, why would I trust them to honor whatever system/currency they are offering this time around? Fool me once, shame on you....fool me twice, shame on me. I can't believe I was a big enough sucker to stick around after they devalued all my Skymiles the last time around.
Having the Delta cobranded card is the same as being in bed with devil (Delta). Hopefully this is lesson learned to stay away from co-branded credit cards and stick with a vanilla Chase or AmEx card for the respective UR and MR.

Originally Posted by DLHubber
What? You must be thinking of the Covid 100% rollovers for everybody, which isn’t what I was talking about and definitely didn’t happen for 22-23 either. I couldn’t tell you when they started, but normal Rolliver MQMs for Medallions absolutely existed well before 2020.
The days when J.W. Roberston was Vice President - Loyalty programs and DL CEO Richard "tricky Dicky" Anderson, as I found the e-mail from July 28, 2009 announcing "Rollover MQMs" - an industry-first that allows you to now roll over any Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) above a Medallion threshold. Now 14 years, 1 month latter, RIP Rollover MQM's.

Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:46 pm

Programs: delta skymiles
For all those saying “I’m done with Delta” or “I’m done with the Delta Amex” the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Either this will make Delta more money or it won’t. That’s the simple red-blooded capitalist reality. If it backfires, it will be reversed. If it doesn’t (which is what I expect) the devaluation will continue.
ryandc99, Adelphos and kobyjones21 like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 9:57 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by mrdovenb
For all those saying Im done with Delta or Im done with the Delta Amex the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Either this will make Delta more money or it wont. Thats the simple red-blooded capitalist reality. If it backfires, it will be reversed. If it doesnt (which is what I expect) the devaluation will continue.
what's left to devalue? delta ripping out half the seats and anyone without a cobrand card has to sit on the floor of the plane?

Last edited by ekozie; Sep 15, 2023 at 6:55 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no reason to chase status on any of these airlines anymore. Just buy the seat you want, get a credit card that has priority pass for lounges and save lots of money. If you get rid of your loyalty then there is no reason to fly Delta to Tokyo if UA or JL is cheaper. No reason to fly Delta to Honolulu if HA or AS are cheaper. There are really no benefits you that you get from these programs now that can't be bought trip by trip at a substantially cheaper cost. I think for lots of us the hard part is convincing ourselves we'll be ok without the shiny plastic card that denotes we are special to the airline we are flying. We need to come to terms that we aren't.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:05 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
What is the best option for SEA flyers?

I am trying to find the best airline to status match with for a SEA-based flyer. I do fly one or two transcons a year in PEY, and around two intercontinentals a year in PEY/ Business.

I am thinking of AS (and that will perhaps give me more chance to try perhaps try out JL. LOL Although I was a one world flyer with CX/AA for many years and dislike CX quite a bit).
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by nall
Perhaps.... perhaps not... depends on the number of them.
There's thousands of them. They're all over. Sitting right there on the upgrade list at number 3 while I'm number 4. It doesn't even matter that there are 0 seats available. They're probably going to take the last of the Woodford. Ughhhh. I hate them.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by metalblaze
The DL website still says Medallion bonus on AF/KLM and other ST partners….am I misreading this…?
If you click on the box for earnings after 1/1/2024, you will notice there is no longer a column for Medallion Mileage Bonus with check marks.... so all the text with the bonuses and rates is still present on the earn with partners page (because it still applies in 2023), but won't apply in 2024. It is a another sneaky change and not readily otherwise apparent.
prgboy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:27 pm

Programs: DL GM
Like everyone, I'm struggling to make sense of these changes. My family has a 360, a DM, PM and GM in it and none of the four of us has found a way that these changes benefit us. I'll fully admit that I am likely the unprofitable class of passenger Delta is trying to get rid of. I've been off the road for a few years now. I went from 100+ segments, mostly international, a year to a dozen or so flights a year. However, I was loyal to DL and its partners because I could get club access either through status on international or through my Amex Platinum domestically.

Then DL got rid of most of its Asia routes, and I became a free agent when doing a few dozen TPAC and intra-Asia trips per year. Usually China Eastern (DL Partner) or Thai Airways. Once all that stopped and I was entirely domestic, I stuck with DL because it was an easy path to status and club access with my Amex Platinum. Now, what is the point? Sure, Delta is still the best at handling IROPS if you're medallion, but some of us won't be after this. Even then I'd have stuck it out if they hadn't also killed Platinum's SkyClub access. Six visits per year? I've done six visits in less than a week multiple times this very year. Maybe that makes me unprofitable, but surely that is still more profitable than me spending my million+ MR points on Amex, closing the accounts and shifting all of my spend to other airlines. The 360 member in my family is even more angry than I am.

These changes are so extreme and so outlandish that I can only assume they were done so that Delta could subsequently walk back half of them and claim they're listening to their customers.
jakeller, hikouki, lsquare and 5 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by mrdovenb
For all those saying Im done with Delta or Im done with the Delta Amex the proof will be in the pudding as they say. Either this will make Delta more money or it wont. Thats the simple red-blooded capitalist reality. If it backfires, it will be reversed. If it doesnt (which is what I expect) the devaluation will continue.
It will not be reversed. If the numbers aren't there, DL will just lower the threshold. Going forward, SkyMiles will be totally revenue-based.
ebayj, wrp96, DrMilano and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 14, 2023, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by ChemGuy
Well this sucks. I have been PM for a few years now, enough MQM and the Delta Plat AMEX waiver. I usually get enough MQM for DM but never spend enough $$ with Delta and the waiver isnt ever going to happen. Doing some estimating....i may stretch to get GM with these new 'upgrades'. Yeah...no thanks DL. I am glad they announced this now. I already made PM for 2024...but I'm outta here. I have to book some travel in October and I will now book on AA. I fly from an out station that has DL, AA and UA. I dont fly UA so AA here I come.

Anyone know who to call at AA for status match?
here's some status match info for all the airlines:
https://upgradedpoints.com/travel/airlines/airline-status-matches-challenges
Old Sep 14, 2023, 11:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I wonder if I earn DM for 2024, if I can gift myself GM for 2025 as a choice benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.