Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 13, 2023, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: audidudi
Highlights of SkyMiles Program Changes and Status Requirement Thresholds
  • Delta and partner flights: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the ticket price for a Delta-marketed flight operated by Delta or by a partner airline.
  • Flights booked and ticketed by eligible partners will earn MQDs at the same rate as they do today, based on the fare class purchased and distance flown. Delta has revamped the MQD earning charts on many partners. Notably, non-full fare Business has been reduced from 40% to 30% on a number of core partners.
  • Credit cards: Delta SkyMiles Reserve American Express and Reserve Business Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $10 spent. Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Card Members earn 1 MQD for every $20 spent. There is no limit to how many MQDs you can earn from credit card spending.
  • Credit Card MQD Headstart: Updated 18 October 2023: Members with the Delta SkyMiles Reserve, Reserve Business, Delta SkyMiles Platinum and Platinum Business American Express Cards will also receive an MQD Headstart of $2,500 MQDs for the current Medallion Qualification Year
  • Car rentals: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed car rentals booked through Delta direct channels.
  • Hotel stays: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on completed stays booked through Delta direct channels.
    Hotel Stays and Car Rentals: Customers may earn MQDs through Delta flights, Delta Vacations packages, and purchases on the Delta SkyMiles Platinum, Platinum Business, Reserve and Reserve Business American Express Cards. Car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Delta Stays will not earn MQDs toward Medallion Status (​​​​​Updated 18 October 2023).
    **Delta will honor MQDs earned on Member car rentals and hotel/vacation rentals booked through Delta Car Rentals and Stays between September 14, 2023 and October 31, 2023, for 2024 travel.
  • Delta Vacations: Earn 1 MQD per $1 spent on the entire vacation experience, in addition to what you earn for your flight, when booking directly with Delta Vacations.
Updated by Delta 0n 18 October 2023:
Making Medallion Status More Accessible:
We will reduce the proposed number of Medallion Qualifying Dollars (MQDs) needed to earn 2025 Medallion Status.
  • Silver Medallion Status: from 6,000 to 5,000 MQDs
  • Gold Medallion Status: from 12,000 to 10,000 MQDs
  • Platinum Medallion Status: from 18,000 to 15,000 MQDs
  • Diamond Medallion Status: from 35,000 to 28,000 MQDs

Your Existing MQMs:
  • Convert to MQD at 20:1 MQDs will convert at 10:1 (updated on 18 October 2023)
    Also: Beginning in early 2024, Members will have a choice as to whether to put MQM Rollover balances toward MQDs or SkyMiles. And customers who have MQM Rollover balances over 100,000 will be given special offers to extend their earned 2024 Statusone year for each 100K Rollover MQMs. Delta will also provide an option to convert MQM Rollover balances into MQDs at a more generous ratio of 10:1 (up from 20:1). Members will also be able to convert MQMs Rollover balances to SkyMiles at a ratio of 2:1.
  • Convert to redeemable SkyMiles at 2:1
Rollover:
  • Gone after 2023.
Credit Card MQD Earnings Rates (MQD Boost benefit):
  • Delta Amex Blue: Zero
  • Delta Amex Gold: Zero
  • Delta Amex Platinum: 1 MQD per $20 spent
  • Delta Amex Reserve: 1 MQD per $10 spent
Million Miler Status
Beginning in January 2024, Million Miler status will go to BIS miles flown only.

Updated 18 October 2023:
More Recognition and Rewards for Long-Term LoyaltyDelta is giving long-term loyalists more of the recognition they deserve. Effective January 1, 2024, the airline is moving Million Miler Status up in the hierarchy for Complimentary Upgrades. And beginning February 1, 2024, Million Milers will also receive enhanced complimentary annual Medallion Status.
  • 6 million miles or more earns Delta 360o (previously Diamond Medallion)
  • 5 million miles earns Delta 360o (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 4 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Platinum Medallion)
  • 3 million miles earns Diamond Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 2 million miles earns Platinum Medallion (previously Gold Medallion)
  • 1 million miles earns Gold Medallion (previously Silver Medallion)
Million miler status moves to priority number 3 in the complimentary upgrade hierarchy
Priority order through 12/31/23:
  1. Medallion status
  2. Fare class groupings: higher-prices fares are ranked above lower-priced fares
  3. Delta Reserve AmEx card members
Priority order beginning 1/1/24:
  1. Medallion status.
  2. Cabin purchased (original + paid upgrades).
  3. Million Miler status.
  4. Delta AmEx Reserve card holders.
  5. Delta Corporate.
  6. MQDs earned in current calendar year.
  7. Date and time of upgrade request.

Official announcement from Delta Air Lines:
https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...rogram-updates

18 October 2023 Rollback/Update Announcement:
https://news.delta.com/delta-shares-...oyalty-program

Print Wikipost

Delta SkyMiles Program Changes (Total Revenue Based) for 2025 Medallion Year

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2024, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dracarys
I applied for the Delta Platinum in October of 2022 and applied for the Delta Reserve in Jan of 2023 and got both welcome bonuses without any issues. These were personal cards though and not personal.
The T&C's for personal Reserve card doesn't say anything about bonus if you already have Plat. It's only the personal Plat card T&Cs that say you may not be eligible for signup bonus if you already have a Reserve. The business Plat card does not have same language so it seems they don't care if you already have a business Reserve.
gm1955 likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:14 pm
zmb

Programs: DL Gold Medallion, Avis President's Club
Earning MQD on Partner-Operated Award Tickets?

From https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...how-to-qualify:

Beginning January 1, 2024, SkyMiles Members can earn MQDs on Delta Award Travel tickets operated by Delta partners, in Main Cabin (or equivalent) or above, when booked through any direct Delta channel, with MQDs calculated based on miles redeemed toward the Award Ticket price divided by 100. Government-imposed taxes and fees do not earn MQDs.

Does this include any SkyTeam member, even if they are not a Core Partner like China Airlines? Meaning I can earn MQD on DL-issued (006 ticket), CI-operated (CI flight number) flight booked with miles?
Old Apr 1, 2024, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by zmb
From https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...how-to-qualify:

Does this include any SkyTeam member, even if they are not a Core Partner like China Airlines? Meaning I can earn MQD on DL-issued (006 ticket), CI-operated (CI flight number) flight booked with miles?
Yes, as long as they are booked using DL Skymiles (which is basically implied when it is a 006 ticket), they will earn MQDs. If they are booked with some other Skyteam partner miles, they are not eligible to earn MQDs. "Delta Award Travel" refers specifically to tickets booked using DL Skymiles.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Yes, as long as they are booked using DL Skymiles (which is basically implied when it is a 006 ticket), they will earn MQDs. If they are booked with some other Skyteam partner miles, they are not eligible to earn MQDs. "Delta Award Travel" refers specifically to tickets booked using DL Skymiles.
I got some MQDs booking an Aeromexico flight with Skymiles Mexico City to Puerto Escondido. I think it was the taxes and fees charged when I booked the ticket.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by flyerfirsts
they are worthless but earn quickly. You would never transfer points to delta, but if you're say platinum and you earn 9 skymiles per dollar it's basically just a 10% rebate program. Usually in the dec to feb timeframe (flying, not booking) you can find 160k miles in delta one to Europe, other than that mostly they're just good for domestic trips. Every now and then I see some good redemptions out of Seattle too.
I have found with both Delta and United that by far the very best deals on points are with their partners. They seem to have no problem practically giving away flights from airlines that are not them.

I get insane deals using Skymiles on Westjet flights out of Canada to the Caribbean and Mexico.

If you want to actually be flying Delta, going from the US or Canada to South America has some really great deals (50k to Buenos Aires or Rio).
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaw753
I have found with both Delta and United that by far the very best deals on points are with their partners. They seem to have no problem practically giving away flights from airlines that are not them.

I get insane deals using Skymiles on Westjet flights out of Canada to the Caribbean and Mexico.

If you want to actually be flying Delta, going from the US or Canada to South America has some really great deals (50k to Buenos Aires or Rio).
Unfortunately, not KLM or AirFrance. I can almost never make Delta miles work US<->Europe.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kaw753
I got some MQDs booking an Aeromexico flight with Skymiles Mexico City to Puerto Escondido. I think it was the taxes and fees charged when I booked the ticket.
MQDs earned will based on number of Skymiles redeemed for award divided by 100 (it has nothing to do with taxes and fees charged for award). For example, a Skymiles award that costs 10,000 miles will earn 100 MQDs. It does not matter if the award is on Delta metal or partner metal.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/skymiles...how-to-qualify

"Beginning January 1, 2024, SkyMiles Members can earn MQDs on Delta Award Travel tickets operated by Delta partners, in Main Cabin (or equivalent) or above, when booked through any direct Delta channel, with MQDs calculated based on miles redeemed toward the Award Ticket price divided by 100. Government-imposed taxes and fees do not earn MQDs."
hhdl likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 2, 2024 at 10:48 am
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:53 pm

Programs: HHonors Silver, AC Altitude 35K, AAdvantage, SkyMiles, Bonvoy Silver and a few more
Not sure if this is the place to ask. I'm flying YYZ-ATL-BWI on Delta, but it is booked as a codeshare with WestJet. The tickets on the codeshare were far less than booking on Delta, which I quite don't understand. Am I still eligible for MQD on Delta or should I switch to WestJet points/dollars ?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flying chef
Not sure if this is the place to ask. I'm flying YYZ-ATL-BWI on Delta, but it is booked as a codeshare with WestJet. The tickets on the codeshare were far less than booking on Delta, which I quite don't understand. Am I still eligible for MQD on Delta or should I switch to WestJet points/dollars ?
They often coordinate fare filings on routes as seen below (except WS does not have BE fares -- DL BE fares always have a 'B' in second to last position of fare basis code), but not necessarily bucket inventory availability on flights when DL coded vs WS coded (they can differ on exact same flights). If you think in terms of marketing/brand strength (where DL is clearly the major player here compared to WS) and revenue maximization, it all begins to make sense. There are also Delta Medallion program benefits you lose out on when you go with the WS marketed, DL operated flights (like C+/FC upgrades at your Medallion window). This likely also gives DL further pricing power over WS. You can earn MQDs with Delta on WS coded flights, but it will based on distance and DL WS partner earning chart instead of fare paid.

flying chef likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Apr 3, 2024 at 10:01 pm
Old Apr 4, 2024, 8:09 am

Programs: DL 2MM, AA ExPlat, UA S, HH S, MR LT Titanium, National Exec
Originally Posted by flying chef
Depends on the value you get from WS on their program. If you apply your flights to DL and it is in regular economy your MQD would be 10% of distance flown which is approx. 2600 miles round trip, so around $260 MQD.

As mentioned though, you won't be on the UG list, no sure what baggage your allowed either.
flying chef likes this.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 3:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I'm considering a round-trip on Virgin Atlantic and seems I can book it either as a DL codeshare or as a prime VS. I'm trying to wrap my head around which option is best from both a MQD and a miles perspective. Please check my understanding and my math below.

If I'm reading everything correctly:
  • DL-marketed and VS-operated earns under the same rules as DL-marketed and DL-operated, so if I book it under DL flight numbers I earn MQDs and miles based on fare only.
  • If I book under VS numbers, I earn based on distance flown and fare class.
Assuming I'm correct with the above, and assuming a trip where I'm paying $2,000 (base fare excluding taxes) in fare class W, and traveling 6,700 miles, I think I will earn:

DL-marketed - 2,000 MQD and 22,000 miles (as a DM - 2000 x 11)
VS-marketed - 1,675 MQD (25% of distance for W) and 12,060 miles (as a DM - 6700 x 1.5 for W x 1.2 for DM)

Did I get that right?
Old Apr 8, 2024, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I'm considering a round-trip on Virgin Atlantic and seems I can book it either as a DL codeshare or as a prime VS. I'm trying to wrap my head around which option is best from both a MQD and a miles perspective. Please check my understanding and my math below.

If I'm reading everything correctly:
  • DL-marketed and VS-operated earns under the same rules as DL-marketed and DL-operated, so if I book it under DL flight numbers I earn MQDs and miles based on fare only.
  • If I book under VS numbers, I earn based on distance flown and fare class.
Assuming I'm correct with the above, and assuming a trip where I'm paying $2,000 (base fare excluding taxes) in fare class W, and traveling 6,700 miles, I think I will earn:

DL-marketed - 2,000 MQD and 22,000 miles (as a DM - 2000 x 11)
VS-marketed - 1,675 MQD (25% of distance for W) and 12,060 miles (as a DM - 6700 x 1.5 for W x 1.2 for DM)

Did I get that right?
Did you actually price out flights as both DL and VS marketed? DL and VS have a number of differences in their fare classes and a W fare (C+ fare) on DL is not the same as a W fare (PE fare) on VS. W class on VS is their highest PE fare class and will likely price out much higher than a W C+ fare with DL marketing. VS uses the V fare class for it's C+ equivalent fares to DL (Economy Delight).
Old Apr 8, 2024, 8:58 pm

Did you actually price out flights as both DL and VS marketed? DL and VS have a number of differences in their fare classes and a W fare (C+ fare) on DL is not the same as a W fare (PE fare) on VS. W class on VS is their highest PE fare class and will likely price out much higher than a W C+ fare with DL marketing. VS uses the V fare class for it's C+ equivalent fares to DL (Economy Delight).
I did price it out using our corporate booking tool, and this is a PE fare, not C+. The cost is comparable booking the flights as either DL or VS. For the same VS-operated flight it is booking into P with a DL flight number and into W with a VS flight number. The cost and mileage numbers in my post were approximate and intended to help illustrate the question and make sure I have my calculation correct.

Last edited by sxpsxpsxp; Apr 8, 2024 at 8:59 pm Reason: Edited for clarity and grammar.
Old Apr 8, 2024, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I did price it out using our corporate booking tool, and this is a PE fare, not C+. The cost is comparable booking the flights as either DL or VS. For the same VS-operated flight it is booking into P with a DL flight number and into W with a VS flight number. The cost and mileage numbers in my post were approximate and intended to help illustrate the question and make sure I have my calculation correct.
Okay, as long as it was showing W class when pricing with VS flight numbers then your numbers are mostly correct. However, mileage earn with VS flights numbers for a DM would be 1.5*6700 + 1.2*6700 = 18090 miles.
sxpsxpsxp likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2024, 8:33 am

Okay, as long as it was showing W class when pricing with VS flight numbers then your numbers are mostly correct. However, mileage earn with VS flights numbers for a DM would be 1.5*6700 + 1.2*6700 = 18090 miles.
Thank you for this. I see I had the elite mileage multiplier wrong.

So then in my instance it is much better to book as DL flight numbers, but if the ratio of fare to distance was different, that equation might change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.