Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to find cheapest fares destination and dates flexible?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles

I am based near PBI. I like to travel and would like to find an easy way to find flights out of PBI, dates and destination doesn't matter so much as scooping up really good deals. What is the best tool for this?
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:30 pm

Flights.Google.com
ijgordon likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: DL Gold, HHDiamond, IHG Plat Regular Joe Everywhere Else
Definitely Google flights
Old Dec 17, 2022, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This link should work (weekend Skyteam trips from PBI for next 6 months). If you want to do a same-day trip, you'll have to pick a day (but you can still leave destination blank or enter a region to bring up the map). Tue/Wed/Sat are usually best, but avoid holiday periods/summer if you want cheapest fares. Despite being a minor holiday, dates around President's Day tend to be very popular/expensive. And then you have the whole Spring Break thing going on in PBI which lasts from about President's Day Weekend until around late April. --
https://www.google.com/travel/explor...EARcn5rDfdqYcA

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 17, 2022 at 7:44 pm
Old Dec 17, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dracarys
Definitely Google flights
Also try FLL and MIA. I lived in PBI and often found the best deals out of one airport and home to another. The only disadvantage was I couldnt drive and park at the airport. PBI has a lot less competition than FLL.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:07 am

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
What are these cheap fares you speak of??

Seriously, look at FLL instead.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PBI gets enough pressure from FLL, as well as it's own LCC service, that fares often aren't that much different. FLL/PBI-BOS have exact same $108.60 main cabin fares as do FLL/PBI-DEN at $158.60 as lowest one-way fares. PBI-SEA and PBI-SFO are actually lower than FLL-SEA and FLL-SFO by $10 one-way. Lowest one-way main cabin from PBI is $168.60 on both routes, while they are $178.60 and $177.60 from FLL, respectively. There is, however, a $118.60 main cabin fare currently on FLL-LAX non-stop that beats PBI-LAX lowest fares.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
PBI gets enough pressure from FLL, as well as it's own LCC service, that fares often aren't that much different. FLL/PBI-BOS have exact same $108.60 main cabin fares as do FLL/PBI-DEN at $158.60 as lowest one-way fares. PBI-SEA and PBI-SFO are actually lower than FLL-SEA and FLL-SFO by $10 one-way. Lowest one-way main cabin from PBI is $168.60 on both routes, while they are $178.60 and $177.60 from FLL, respectively. There is, however, a $118.60 main cabin fare currently on FLL-LAX non-stop that beats PBI-LAX lowest fares.
I lived near PBI for many years and often flew out of MIA for more nonstops (especially international) and cheaper fares.

Last edited by sydneyracquelle; Dec 18, 2022 at 7:34 pm
Old Dec 18, 2022, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
Published fares may be the same but the PBI flights will sell out of them sooner given lower capacity (fewer flights an ld often smaller aircraft).

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Also try FLL and MIA. I lived in PBI and often found the best deals out of one airport and home to another. The only disadvantage was I couldnt drive and park at the airport. PBI has a lot less competition than FLL.
Well unfortunately Google flights isnt good for this, it almost always forces you back to the same airport, unless sometimes if you do multi-city. Major pet peeve of mine as I can fly to/from any NYC airport.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, United Silver, Marriott LT Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Published fares may be the same but the PBI flights will sell out of them sooner given lower capacity (fewer flights an ld often smaller aircraft).

Well unfortunately Google flights isnt good for this, it almost always forces you back to the same airport, unless sometimes if you do multi-city. Major pet peeve of mine as I can fly to/from any NYC airport.
Possibly because the cheaper RT fares are restricted to route back to the departure airport.
Old Dec 18, 2022, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by matchbox20_is
Possibly because the cheaper RT fares are restricted to route back to the departure airport.
Flights generally still qualify for roundtrip fares as long as they meet the following requirement in fare rules --

"MILEAGE OF THE OPEN SEGMENT MUST BE EQUAL/LESS THAN MILEAGE OF THE SHORTEST FLOWN FARE COMPONENT"

While you can use multiple cities or "all airports" codes (like NYC and CHI) as origin in Google Flights, it will only show return options back to outbound city once you have selected the outbound flight.
Most DL fares out of FLL and PBI to other major metros are all one-way fares (DL hub hostage airports can be an exception). Cheapest DL one-way fares on PBI-DTW are $218.60, while roundtrip fares on PBI-DTW start at $168.60 each way. Otherwise for domestic major metros, you can generally just do one-way searches in each direction with multiple cities in origin or destination and still get the lowest fares when dealing with south Florida airports.

Last edited by xliioper; Dec 19, 2022 at 3:23 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.