Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Stuck in ZRH due to cancellation - quick questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stuck in ZRH due to cancellation - quick questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2022, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
You'll get ORC, and I assume also EU261 depending on how late you got in
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Just an update, I called Delta one last time and was successful in getting on the last flight out of ZRH that would still get me home today. ZRH-EWR-IAD on Swiss and United. Even managed to keep J/F cabins. It took 5 phone calls and about 3 hours of phone time, mostly on hold for global support, to get this resolved. Did I just get unlucky having to fight so hard for a same day routing on Star Alliance flights, or was I just lucky to get this option at all? Hopefully it doesnt mess up my ORC request for MQDs.

Never ended up booking a hotel thankfully, thanks to all here for the great suggestions.
Glad you got out. And yes very lucky being put on *A flights. Guess with all of the other domestic weather disruptions going on they just did that to get you back before that storm impacts the east coast.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkCron
You'll get ORC, and I assume also EU261 depending on how late you got in
No EU261, since I arrived less than 1 hour after originally scheduled and in the original class of service. I did arrive to the wrong airport (IAD vs DCA), but I don't think that's worthy of a claim. I much preferred getting home last night to any possible comp. Delta did send me a text saying Customer Care would reach out with some kind of customer service gesture.

Originally Posted by rylan
Glad you got out. And yes very lucky being put on *A flights. Guess with all of the other domestic weather disruptions going on they just did that to get you back before that storm impacts the east coast.
The Swiss check-in agent at ZRH told me he also works the Delta check-in counter, and he shared with me that Delta was able to use the ZRH-EWR flight because the loads were so light yesterday (our A330 had about 100 passengers total, and J had about 10 open seats by my count). Originally the phone agent told me global support could only book me in Y, which I agreed to, but then once it was ticketed she said he was actually get me booked in business. That was a nice bonus, because Swiss business class is pretty nice. The Swiss agent also mentioned that the Delta flight was cancelled because a pilot called in sick, which someone else mentioned above.
hi55us likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Man that's just about the best outcome you could get in that situation. Enjoy the Swiss Business Class! Way better than Delta One.
Old Dec 14, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
No EU261, since I arrived less than 1 hour after originally scheduled and in the original class of service. I did arrive to the wrong airport (IAD vs DCA), but I don't think that's worthy of a claim. I much preferred getting home last night to any possible comp. Delta did send me a text saying Customer Care would reach out with some kind of customer service gesture.

The Swiss check-in agent at ZRH told me he also works the Delta check-in counter, and he shared with me that Delta was able to use the ZRH-EWR flight because the loads were so light yesterday (our A330 had about 100 passengers total, and J had about 10 open seats by my count). Originally the phone agent told me global support could only book me in Y, which I agreed to, but then once it was ticketed she said he was actually get me booked in business. That was a nice bonus, because Swiss business class is pretty nice. The Swiss agent also mentioned that the Delta flight was cancelled because a pilot called in sick, which someone else mentioned above.
Most cases DL will downgrade to Y if using GUC and rebooking to non-partber. However due to EC261, flights ex-EU/Switzerland/UK they will rebook in J. (For day of IRROP only) Otherwise they're on hook for downgrade compensation, on top of needing return the GUC. However most agents have no clue about EC261 (aka UK261 in UK) and will insist on downgrade. This of course assumes no AF/KL/DL combo will work.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 5:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Most cases DL will downgrade to Y if using GUC and rebooking to non-partber. However due to EC261, flights ex-EU/Switzerland/UK they will rebook in J. (For day of IRROP only) Otherwise they're on hook for downgrade compensation, on top of needing return the GUC. However most agents have no clue about EC261 (aka UK261 in UK) and will insist on downgrade. This of course assumes no AF/KL/DL combo will work.
I was on the return portion of an award ticket (no GUCs). 148k SkyMiles round trip as part of the D1 flash sale, so to get a leg in Swiss J class was a nice bonus at that price. That said, it was a lot of stress and aggravation to get rebooked, and while I was very happy with the result, I would have much preferred just flying home on my original flights. There were no same day KLM/AF flights available to get me home due to the fact that ZRH-JFK is a late departure and it canceled just a few hours before departure time. My only options were Star Alliance flights.

I did get my ORC (about $740 MQDs) about an hour after requesting by phone, so it was a nice surprise I didnt have to call multiple times for that.
Spiff and JPG3392 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.