Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Upcharged after cancellation of DL-marketed KL flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

Hi again all,

KL recently cancelled a bunch of AMS-IST segments, one of which was the tail end of a DL-marketed (006) itin. I had.

When trying to recover, DL's rep insisted that all available changed required an add-fare collection due to compatible fare buckets not being available.

Pretty sure I've never seen this before, can someone explain the rules or direct me to existing threads? TIA again.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 2:38 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles

Programs: I've gone underground!
Theyre mistaken. The airline is required to book you on the next available flight.
kthomas likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by emma dog
They’re mistaken. The airline is required to book you on the next available flight.
They failed to do so. I suspect because there was nothing available on KL for 2-3 days, but who knows?

I suspect this is a "take it to CS complaints." (I just accepted the charge because it was 1am and it had taken 2+ hrs to get any replacement flights.)

Last edited by kthomas; Nov 2, 2022 at 4:07 am
Old Nov 2, 2022, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This sounds like an inexperienced agent. Complain. If you want to get their attention, report this to DOT.

What was the class of travel, itinerary, original fare, and fare difference?
Old Nov 2, 2022, 11:05 am

Programs: DL DM
With an agent that badly mistaken, inexperienced, and untrained, I would be suspicious they even completed the change process correctly. Make sure your ticket has been reissued and that your ticket and reservation match.

If it were me, I would call in and immediately ask for a supervisor to get a refund for what they charged you, and have them review the reservation/ticket.
rylan, MSPeconomist and kthomas like this.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yeah, even a half-competent agent can fix that by overbooking the original fare buckets on the new flights. They are allowed to do that in cases of irops or schedule changes/cancellations.
Even if they don't know how, you should've been transferred or put on hold for a supervisor or the reticketing desk to handle it properly.

This sounds like they took the easy way out and just did a standard change + refare and charged you for the new flight.
MSPeconomist, hhdl and kthomas like this.
Old Nov 3, 2022, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
This sounds like an inexperienced agent. Complain. If you want to get their attention, report this to DOT.

What was the class of travel, itinerary, original fare, and fare difference?
Well, I don't want to post too many details. U bucket, they're saying AF is only offering H and wanted ~$275 more to move to that if I want the 2-leg routing.

On the three leg option, looks like we did U to U moving from KL to AF, +$75 pp was not a big deal but surprising.

I suspect a complaint (or chargeback) will result in refund (at this point I'll probably be moving to a different routing, after 2 hours I took what I was told available).

( Note: just spoke to a 5th agent a few hours ago who asked for $100 this time to move to AF-AF two legs, which FWIW was a different amount than quotes previously. I get the sense there are some fresh people in the service centers? )

Last edited by kthomas; Nov 3, 2022 at 6:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.