Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2022, 1:02 am

We do have apps that take the accelerometer and report it. So I can view individual aircraft and what they reported. I can set it to automatically report so others can see. We have so many tools that its almost decision paralysis due to too much data. If you see flights reporting turbulence from 26-38000 and atc says some flights reported mtn wave. its tough not to call up the FA's and be like "it might get rough maybe take a seat" however 50% of the time you end up missing it or just hitting a little chop. Its a lose lose. I did a turn last week rocked down to CHS smooth on the way back 35 min later. One leg i get compliments "thanks for getting us here safely" the next complaints about making stuff up.

The other day coming into JFK routed through a line of rain and heard constant .....ing about the ride into NYC. Short flight basically up to 27k cruise for 10 min then back down. Told the FAs to just be seated the whole flight. Welp it was the smoothest line of rain i've ever flown through and the turbulence in the descent didn't materialize, right before our descent atc said rides getting better maybe a bit of light chop. So I ended up looking like an idiot. I'd rather land in a 30kt crosswind than make a decision on FA service at least one of those I can get 100% right lol.

I will say in my 12 years of flying i've never had one FA ask me to make up a PA about canceling/reduced service. I don't fly for delta but in my experience their FA's are slightly better than ours so I imagine its the same over there.
theorbo, ewoo and Shinyobjects like this.
Old Oct 25, 2022, 8:14 am

On ATL-PHL 10/23, before we even took off the FA's said that they will not have service due to turbulence. However, it was an extremely smooth flight and seatbelt sign was off most of the flight. One person walked around with a water bottle and that was about it.
PotomacApproach likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:56 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
On JFK-SEA now. Captain announced on leaving JFK that turbulence was expected over the Great Lakes, so service would be delayed. It didn’t materialize, and post-Great Lakes the cart came out. They served through the fourth row in C+ then stopped again. Flight’s been smooth and seatbelt sign off for two 45-60 minute stretches, with lots of galley gathering up front. Now 4 hrs into the flight, FA just came around with a tray of a dozen or so half-filled water glasses, gave them all out, then retreated to the back galley.

Ironically, on the flight out the seatbelt sign came off at 13000 which I’ve not seen happen in years on a US carrier.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I remember not being served anything in Y back in 2013 on LAS-LAX. So, I don't think this is new at all.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 2:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
LIM-ATL a few weeks ago, really bumpy on the final hour, second meal service was discontinued right after C+.
Old Jul 1, 2023, 5:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, AS MVPG, Bonvoy Plat/LT Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I remember not being served anything in Y back in 2013 on LAS-LAX. So, I don't think this is new at all.
Turbulence or not, that’s the current service standard for flights of that length.
obscure2k likes this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
US airlines are the worst about this. They use the seatbelt sign so much that no one pays attention to it anymore. They pretty much have it on the entire flight.
That’s because no other country has the ridiculous ability to sue for anything and everything with zero risk.
enviroian, cmd320 and ewoo like this.
Old Jul 2, 2023, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SDQBound
LIM-ATL a few weeks ago, really bumpy on the final hour, second meal service was discontinued right after C+.
Month or two back, no 2nd meal in D1 ATL-GRU. Flight was delayed by 2 hours (they had to deadhead a pilot to operate 2nd daily ATL-GRU), and turbulence was really bad. However if they had served it when were supposed to, there would've been no issue.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 6:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
ATL-DTW, DAL1005 today. Announcement of no service due to turbulence. No turbulence.
Old Sep 25, 2023, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by aww3583
ATL-DTW, DAL1005 today. Announcement of no service due to turbulence. No turbulence.
Why would you go out of your way to provide service in a compensation structure where the more profit the airline produces, the higher your individual bonus?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:43 pm

JFK-MAD on Sunday night had service for about 20 minutes then the cockpit announced no service for the next hour because of "expected turbulence." I stayed up another 90 minutes and there was no turbulence. I slept through the rest of the flight but my partner was up for breakfast and they didn't serve that either because of "turbulence".
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
This has happened to me twice on ATL-MCO. No big deal except when the FA in the jumpseat across from me at the mid-cabin bulkhead on a 757 fires up the front galley coffee maker and makes one for herself sipping it right in front of us.. Everyone in the C+ "cabin" could smell it.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by audio-nut
JFK-MAD on Sunday night had service for about 20 minutes then the cockpit announced no service for the next hour because of "expected turbulence." I stayed up another 90 minutes and there was no turbulence. I slept through the rest of the flight but my partner was up for breakfast and they didn't serve that either because of "turbulence".
Here's 5k SkyPesos sorry you starved.

That's appalling service that is becoming way too common.
BigFishDave and strickerj like this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Several flights I've been on in the past couple months they announced there would be some turbulence and may have to delay service or keep the seatbelt sign on longer. Was minimal to no bumps on all of them. FAs delayed service for C+ and main, but still did F as normal. Seatbelt sign was on for most of flight.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:14 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
OTOH, there was light and occasional moderate this evening between DFW and ATL. No service and seatbelt constantly on. We leveled off at 23k feet and had 90-100 mph tailwinds.

I don’t blame the FAs. You never know when a big drop
will happen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.