Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
I've always wondered how many passengers and crew are injured on overseas airlines where they are overzealous in service and don't take the precautions Delta and American do to avoid service in rough air.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
IMO the flights that now receive the "express service" are the ones that are disproportionately affected here. They either stay seated for too long at the beginning, and then don't attempt it, or they get started but then have to suspend the service and don't bother to re-start it.

Purdue-Flyer-the-Younger is a FA and told me years ago that customers got more upset when FAs couldn't finish the whole cabin before landing versus not getting anything at all, and why she hated working flights like ATL-MCO with 234 pax on a 75Y. You legit need every minute to get the service done. And she actually likes to work! I thought the whole point of "express" was so the FAs could achieve that, but this seems to hamstring them if there's even a hint of turbulence. The result is it doesn't feel like a very "elevated" customer experience, moreso since we are already getting less choice on the express service routes than we did previously.
Breaking news, DL use to serve a meal on the ATL-MCO flight when they had the L10's. I'm sure there were more FA's on board at that time.
Spiff likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2023, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beckles
I've always wondered how many passengers and crew are injured on overseas airlines where they are overzealous in service and don't take the precautions Delta and American do to avoid service in rough air.
In the past couple of years, many news reports of the planes hitting rough air and passengers and crews getting hurt. But over all the % is very very low.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by country_boy
No, there isn’t. Pilots are requested to report turbulence via a PIREP, and if the pilot is changing altitudes trying to avoid it, the controllers may well ask him what the best altitude was.

The pilots do have faster access to pilot reports ( real PIREPS) and pilots searching for a smother altitude if they hear them on frequency.
I had a recent flight where we were warned of the potential for turbulence that never happened.

The crew remained seated the entire 90 minutes. I debated about making a FOIA request with FAA searching records of "ride reports," to hear the center traffic, versus the lack of service.

Then I ultimately figured it was a total waste of time and proved nothing to an airline that simply does not care.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:18 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles - Platinum; Hertz - President's Circle; Expedia - Gold
Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
IMO the flights that now receive the "express service" are the ones that are disproportionately affected here. They either stay seated for too long at the beginning, and then don't attempt it, or they get started but then have to suspend the service and don't bother to re-start it.

Purdue-Flyer-the-Younger is a FA and told me years ago that customers got more upset when FAs couldn't finish the whole cabin before landing versus not getting anything at all, and why she hated working flights like ATL-MCO with 234 pax on a 75Y. You legit need every minute to get the service done. And she actually likes to work! I thought the whole point of "express" was so the FAs could achieve that, but this seems to hamstring them if there's even a hint of turbulence. The result is it doesn't feel like a very "elevated" customer experience, moreso since we are already getting less choice on the express service routes than we did previously.
On an extremely short flight from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf of a total 111 miles KLM flight attendants always serve a drink with a cookie, and collect trash before landing.
Granted, it's a small Embraer plane, but there are only 2 flight attendants. Nevertheless, cabin service is a necessary feature to separate a full price airline with "premium experience" from a discounter one.
Spiff, doubleA and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 7:26 am

Programs: DL DM
No ground service in F anymore. Barely any in-flight service. I fly MIA-NYC all the time and more have the seatbelt sign on gate-to-gate than don't.

Meanwhile, in Australia, a literal police state, they'll fly inverted and still do service. But you have to take your earbuds out to land, of course...
doubleA, enviroian and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abeille
No ground service in F anymore. Barely any in-flight service. I fly MIA-NYC all the time and more have the seatbelt sign on gate-to-gate than don't.

Meanwhile, in Australia, a literal police state, they'll fly inverted and still do service. But you have to take your earbuds out to land, of course...
DL,UA and AA all serve meals on this route non stop
eeb100k likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 2:47 pm

It'a getting ridiculous...

I'll chime in on this one for sure. I've had SO many "no service because of expected turbulence it's crazy". I notice a lot of people saying F got served but not main/C+. I can say for certain F (where I'm at 9 times out of 10)) has got screwed about every time too. Once the lead FA announced we weren't likely to get service in F (while boarding) because of turbulence expected. Meanwhile shortly before we even leveled off the main cabin FA's made multiple trips up front grabbing more snacks, drinks, etc. Unreal. Of course there was about as close to ZERO turbulence as I've ever experienced.

Recent favorite was flight from FLL-DTW. They announce AT THE GATE that it looks like it's going to be pretty rough and if you need to use the restroom should probably go prior to boarding! (no service of course as well)....Guess what, smooth as butter the whole way. I was talking to a rep about something else and brought this up (what we're talking about in this thread) and said I don't normally complain much but I think I'm going to start. She says please do! I'm hearing this all the time anymore. It's not just you! I finally did file a complaint but mentioned I had so many that I'd prefer a call. They called next day and listened closely and agreed (was several other things as well, including pretty close to zero PDB's 9 out of last 10 flights for starters)....Gave me 10k miles and I felt a little better after venting! lol

Now I'm just jotting down everything so I can keep track of flights and issues. I mentioned to the rep I'm to the point where it would be nice to have ONE leg go smooth without some kind of BS.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 4:54 pm

Back in the day, DL flew mainline aircraft usually once a day ATL-CSG and back. Drink and a snack served on an 83 mile flight, never getting above 5000 feet. Most of the flights were covered by ASA, and that FA was climbing back uphill doing the drink service alone.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 5:36 pm

Not serving beverages and snacks is a nice little tactic to save some $$.
Spiff, enviroian and rylan like this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, GlobalEntry, Admirals Club, United Club
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
I had a recent flight where we were warned of the potential for turbulence that never happened.

The crew remained seated the entire 90 minutes. I debated about making a FOIA request with FAA searching records of "ride reports," to hear the center traffic, versus the lack of service.

Then I ultimately figured it was a total waste of time and proved nothing to an airline that simply does not care.
You wouldn't need to FOIA, you can just get them from liveatc. But I agree that it would be a waste of time.
doubleA likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jetsfan92588
You wouldn't need to FOIA, you can just get them from liveatc. But I agree that it would be a waste of time.
LiveATC rarely has the Centers, almost impossible to find for a whole flight, FAA FOIA makes it much easier.
doubleA and jetsfan92588 like this.
Old Jan 13, 2024, 2:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Firstboss
On an extremely short flight from Amsterdam to Dusseldorf of a total 111 miles KLM flight attendants always serve a drink with a cookie, and collect trash before landing.
Granted, it's a small Embraer plane, but there are only 2 flight attendants. Nevertheless, cabin service is a necessary feature to separate a full price airline with "premium experience" from a discounter one.
What I noticed this summer on BA and easyJet was how much more quickly service started after takeoff than in the US. BA MAN-LHR they served a salad and dessert in club Europe and refilled my glass at least twice on a ~1ish hour flight. AMS-BMH was a relatively short flight and they did a full service on easyJet as well.
Spiff and Firstboss like this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 4:01 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Last week on another AAirline CLT to CLE in First…. Only about 30 people on the whole A320 and 4 of us in First. Water before departure and in the air no service whatsoever due to turbulence. F/A sat in jumpseat with headphones in watching a movie on his phone for the whole 1hr20min flight. I know because I saw him when I got up to use the lav during the time the seatbelt sign was OFF.

I’m sitting in 1A about to push back now on an E175 where Pilot said it will be bumpy due to wind on climb out. The F/A stood in flight deck door and asked “Keeping us seated? How long?” Reply was “Up to you”

Update: Seatbelt sign came off about 10 minutes into flight. Someone walked up to F/A and asked about coffee (she was still in jumpseat right in front of me). She said something to the effect of I can’t yet. I think the passenger mentioned the seatbelt sign and she said “The seatbelt sign is for you to go to the bathroom. I can’t get up until the Captain calls me”

Drinks served about 20 minutes after that as the seatbelt sign came back on. You can’t make this stuff up. I feel like George Carlin would have done a really good monologue on cabin service these days.
enviroian, Firstboss and hhdl like this.

Last edited by JAXPax; Jan 14, 2024 at 7:03 am Reason: Update from flight
Old Jan 14, 2024, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
US airlines are worse than ever with the seatbelt sign. It's amazing how the rest of the world can turn it off at 10K feet and passengers can have an enjoyable flight.

Turbulence seems to be mentioned more on US carriers too.

i'm not a fan of turbulence despite being an FF. But the US carriers seem so insistent on the entire cabin including the crew being seated until cruise altitude, and one hint of a light chop and it goes back on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.