Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:10 am

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
About 10 Years ago, flying NRT to PDX in Business, my breakfast service was cancelled due to expected turbulance. (GRR) I don't know why they didn't plan this ahead of time, knowing they have constant communication of weather and traffic with air traffic controller during the flight. They could have, but didn't, moved up breakfasts 1 hour in anticipation.

Jiburi
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
so now, in addition to the 20-minute domestic bag guarantee, there’s a main cabin drink guarantee?
Yes. The credit card salespeople are also expected to dispense water to passengers.
Spiff, jlemon, strickerj and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:17 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by jiburi
About 10 Years ago, flying NRT to PDX in Business, my breakfast service was cancelled due to expected turbulance. (GRR) I don't know why they didn't plan this ahead of time, knowing they have constant communication of weather and traffic with air traffic controller during the flight. They could have, but didn't, moved up breakfasts 1 hour in anticipation.
Similar - since turbulence is seemingly 100% predictable, why not fly around/over/under it instead?
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador - Delta Diamond - United Silver - Frontier 100k - Sixt Plat
I posted prior where I had a 2 hour flight or so was JFK-ORD or something and I was looking forward to my meal in FC just because I got to the airport just before boarding and was hungry. The flight had zero turbulence yet they kept the seatbelt on the entire time and just did one quick cart run down the aisle and sat down for the remaining. I filed a complaint after the flight and was refunded my entire round-trip cost.
Spiff likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
The national weather service has an "aviation weather" map. It shows reported turbulence/wind shear and the severity and height it was reported at. I have had enough lazy FA's that use the turbulence excuse, I always look up the map before the flight.
oh lord

"I do my own research"
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by jiburi
they could have simply called the manager of weather and had the turbulence rescheduled for after the flight
amieuro likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lav Inspector
With all due respect, I would be careful with that approach for it doesn’t really show the entire picture. The resources the DL pilots use are a lot more in depth than that chart and brief the F/A’s before every flight about the weather/turbulence forecasted. As we all know, weather is very fluid and constantly changing. While weather fronts shown on that weather map are easy to predict, there are many other hazards that can potentially cause turbulence that isn’t shown on a map updated 2-4 times a day.
Aviation Digital Data Service, part of NWS/NOAA.

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:27 pm
Formerly known as scootr29

This is a real thing and I see it more on Delta
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:30 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
This is a big reason I fly Delta less and less. I'm based in CMH so everything involves a CXN regardless of airlines and CMH-ATL almost never has service. AA and UA are seemingly far better with regards to service with the exception being United CommutAir, but they fly the ERJ-145 which is my favorite regional jet so it averages out.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
so now, in addition to the 20-minute domestic bag guarantee, there’s a main cabin drink guarantee?
I'm guessing it was just to head off a bunch of complaints, since there were a few customers who didn't appreciate the gruffness of the FAs when asked.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IME the FAs most likely to continue service during at least arguable periods of turbulence (sometimes not taking their seats immediately when the captain makes an announcement for them to be seated) tend to be pursers, lead FAs, obviously very experienced FAs, and FAs serving in the FC/D1 cabin.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Code word for laziness.
hockeystl and SSF556 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 12:52 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Aviation Digital Data Service, part of NWS/NOAA.

https://www.aviationweather.gov/adds/
Understood, but the program that the DL pilots use has all that information and then some. Between Delta’s own meteorology department, the dispatchers, and the flight crews, along with all the tools provided to them, this isn’t a lack of resources that is the issue. My point is many times these decisions, while often made on the side of conservatism, isn’t just made because of laziness but because of data presented to them and with safety in mind.*

*not to say laziness may not present itself at times.
Adam1222 and Twohitwonder like this.

Last edited by Lav Inspector; Oct 19, 2022 at 1:01 am
Old Oct 19, 2022, 4:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by businesstino
I completely understand and appreciate this approach. And I should have mentioned that in my original post as well. Definitely agree that risk of injury is not worth providing snacks/drinks, especially on a short flight. Just seems to have increased in frequency recently, and curious to know if others have noticed the same.
On my DL hops from MSP and DTW to small airports around the area (and also on my UA and AA hops to these same areas), I used to less frequently experience bad turbulence than I’ve experienced on those routes during the last 10-15 years. Can’t say I’ve noticed a big increase in FAs using turbulence as an excuse to be lazy on smooth, short distance flights, but I think that their crews have become more risk averse in some ways and also more aware of turbulence suddenly popping up even when they don’t necessarily expect it to get as bad as it can suddenly get at times around the Upper Midwest.
Old Oct 19, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: DL Charter DM/3.4 MM, DLAmex Plat, PC Plat, MR Gold, HH Diamond, National Exec Elite, Hertz Gold 5*
Yes

Originally Posted by businesstino
I completely understand and appreciate this approach. And I should have mentioned that in my original post as well. Definitely agree that risk of injury is not worth providing snacks/drinks, especially on a short flight. Just seems to have increased in frequency recently, and curious to know if others have noticed the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.