Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Turbulence" resulting in no in-flight service

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:18 am

Originally Posted by FlyHappy33
I imagine that if the captain requests that the flight attendants remain seated or suspend service due to forecasted turbulence, they have no choice but to follow captains orders. Even if the turbulence never actually materializes, it's probably better to err on the side of caution in these situations. Having people getting injured over soft drinks doesn't seem worth it.

EDIT: Apparently I didn't read OP's post thoroughly. Strange that the captain announced a smooth flight while FA's said turbulence is expected. Definitely something fishy going on there.
Perhaps the captain was getting feed up with lazy flight attendants announcing turbulence as the reason for not doing their job, and used an announcement of his own to show what he thought of them.
susanc, JoeDTW and dtwtransport like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 7:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
"Turbulence" = we want to play on our phones in the galley with the curtains pulled
andrewk829, JoeDTW, SSF556 and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:11 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Can’t begin to tell you how many times Delta FA’s on flights from ATL have blamed “turbulence” or “weather,” but rather it was their sheer laziness to get a beverage service knocked out… particularly ATL-MCO, ATL-FLL, ATL-TPA!!
Old Oct 18, 2022, 8:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Had this happen last week where the FA announced that because of turbulence, only the F cabin would receive service. So it was ok to deliver a few drinks by hand but not ok to roll the cart down the aisle.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Had this happen last week where the FA announced that because of turbulence, only the F cabin would receive service. So it was ok to deliver a few drinks by hand but not ok to roll the cart down the aisle.
Without knowing all the details, absolutely that’s ok. Serving the F cabin by hand takes significantly less time, especially when you add in the preparation time for the cart, both before and after the service, not to mention how much longer it takes to serve the entire cabin. Just for perspective, even if they start the service in coach but have to suspend service half way through, it takes about 15 mins for the carts to be completely put away and the galley secured. That can be a significant amount of time if you encounter moderate or worse turbulence.

Besides that, those carts are extremely heavy and can be quite the hazard in turbulence, both for the passengers and F/As.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by JAXPax
From my airline days, especially on shorter flights, can attest that many times the discussion between Captain and Lead F/A before boarding: "You wanna work this leg or stay sitting?"
When one of my friends worked for a regional carrier (not a carrier that flies for DL) this was a common discussion and FA's would put a lot of pressure on him to say there would be turbulence so no cabin service. Not surprised this has spread.

Originally Posted by Lav Inspector
I’ll just say this, while there are certainly examples of, to put it kindly, “unmotivated” crews, I believe much of this is driven my management and liability reasons. There has been a rather drastic increase of turbulence related injuries over the years and management has made it an emphasis to reduce them. I do believe this has created an environment that tends to lean on the side of conservatism, from all involved. Part of this is driven by the weather app that the pilots have used for the past handful of years. The predicted turbulence based on environmental conditions and actual reports from other aircraft used in the app can be quite frankly hit or miss. It’s accurate enough that you almost have to always follow it, but inaccurate enough that it often gives a false picture. The problem is, if pilots don’t follow the app and an injury has occurred, much of the blame falls on them, thus it’s easy to see why they are conservative about it.
The national weather service has an "aviation weather" map. It shows reported turbulence/wind shear and the severity and height it was reported at. I have had enough lazy FA's that use the turbulence excuse, I always look up the map before the flight. It can also be helpful to show this to the FA in certain situations as well...one flight I encouraged the FA to discontinue service after seeing the map and another flight I showed the FA the map so she could calm a nervous flier a few rows ahead of me that after the bumps on the climb, it would be a very smooth remainder of the flight.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by businesstino
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the amount of flights that FAs decide to waive cabin service due to "rough air"? It was especially noticeable on my past two RTs, both within the last couple of weeks (ATL-LGA; ATL-MSY). On all four flights, FAs either provided no service at all or only offered water, despite there being very minimal turbulence for a just a few minutes of the flight, most of it coming during initial ascent when there is obviously no service anyways. Yesterday, on my MSY-ATL flight, the FAs came on to announce that there would be no service at all due to expected turbulence, and about 2 minutes later, the captain came on and said we should all expect a smooth flight and turned off the seatbelt sign! I know there is not much to be had from Coach or C+ service anyways, but sometimes I am looking forward to having a few Goldfish and washing them down with a Woodford.
I have not had this happen on any of 30 legs in the past 10 weeks. Go figure.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by The Situation
When one of my friends worked for a regional carrier (not a carrier that flies for DL) this was a common discussion and FA's would put a lot of pressure on him to say there would be turbulence so no cabin service. Not surprised this has spread.

The national weather service has an "aviation weather" map. It shows reported turbulence/wind shear and the severity and height it was reported at. I have had enough lazy FA's that use the turbulence excuse, I always look up the map before the flight. It can also be helpful to show this to the FA in certain situations as well...one flight I encouraged the FA to discontinue service after seeing the map and another flight I showed the FA the map so she could calm a nervous flier a few rows ahead of me that after the bumps on the climb, it would be a very smooth remainder of the flight.
With all due respect, I would be careful with that approach for it doesn’t really show the entire picture. The resources the DL pilots use are a lot more in depth than that chart and brief the F/A’s before every flight about the weather/turbulence forecasted. As we all know, weather is very fluid and constantly changing. While weather fronts shown on that weather map are easy to predict, there are many other hazards that can potentially cause turbulence that isn’t shown on a map updated 2-4 times a day.
Twohitwonder and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by eqeqeqx
Perhaps the captain was getting feed up with lazy flight attendants announcing turbulence as the reason for not doing their job, and used an announcement of his own to show what he thought of them.
I have a friend who is a 30-year seniority Captain at a ULCC (though half the Atlantic City base still is senior) whose pet peeve is flight attendants making announcements he thinks of as over the top or customer-unfriendly. As soon as he hears a scolding starting over the PA over someone got up to get something from overhead or had to go to the bathroom with seatbelt sign still on, he takes the opportunity to flip the sign off mid-way through their announcement and start his own. He will do the same if they start making "no service" announcements on short flights. I mean, come on, on like FLL-MCO with 5 flight attendants and everything for sale you know sales won't be so high they can't at least walk the cabin with a menu asking if anybody wants anything, if even to take to-go. However, they did have to stop making the so-called "Roadie" announcement advertising that their liquor combos were cheaper than a hotel minibar or many hotel lobbies so before landing buy one for the road.
Spiff, MSPeconomist and becks1 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 9:56 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
And this morning: https://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2...re-turbulence/
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: DL Platinum, 1 MM
It is kind of surprising that Swiss can serve breakfast on a tray on their 45 min flights from ZRH to STR. I guess the turbulences are a little smaller in smaller countries.
Spiff, chica, krzysz and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM, AA Nobody, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by drminn
It is kind of surprising that Swiss can serve breakfast on a tray on their 45 min flights from ZRH to STR. I guess the turbulences are a little smaller in smaller countries.
US airlines are really a chore to fly, especially bad domestically with low/no service, bad attitudes and being ghosted after takeoff.

Meanwhile, I'll get a 3-course meal on a regional Asia flight out of Tokyo on NH. Of course, this has always been the case.
Spiff, chica and zdcatc12 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:48 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by drminn
Back at Midwest Express we used to serve a hot plated breakfast to the entire plane between Milwaukee and Omaha or Kansas City... both were sub one hour. When we outsourced some of the RJ/Connect flying to Skywest on the CRJs, the Skywest flight attendants hated it and did not want to be MKE based (I think most who operated were actually ORD based and limo'd up). We made them bake and serve cookies as well as do a beverage service (sometimes just water, coffee, juice, milk) on like Milwaukee to Appleton or Grand Rapids. Lot of hustle for a 20 minute usable time in the air.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Yep. Recently had an ATL-BWI trip where the seat belt sign was off the whole trip (for good reason, hint) and at the end the FAs apologized for no drink service due to unexpected turbulence. They even ignored the FA call light for 10-15 minutes as they walked past several times. Ultimately I had 2,500 miles in my account before I even made it to baggage claim, but would probably have rather had a drink of water.
Old Oct 18, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Premier 1K, Delta SkyMiles Diamond Medallion
Originally Posted by dmarge18
Yep. Recently had an ATL-BWI trip where the seat belt sign was off the whole trip (for good reason, hint) and at the end the FAs apologized for no drink service due to unexpected turbulence. They even ignored the FA call light for 10-15 minutes as they walked past several times. Ultimately I had 2,500 miles in my account before I even made it to baggage claim, but would probably have rather had a drink of water.
so now, in addition to the 20-minute domestic bag guarantee, there’s a main cabin drink guarantee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.