Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta service/catering on longer economic / C+ flights is getting laughable

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2022, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,

I already posted a similar thread on complimentary meals in economy on transcons not being back, but now I want to complain about general economy/C+ service on a 4 hour flight (PHX to JFK).

1) 1 drink service
2) 1 pass of the snack basket

They said they had snack boxes for order, but only a few were catered. This is for a lunch time flight (11 AM to 6 PM). Because the PHX SkyClub was such a crowded zoo, I couldn't get really any food before boarding, so I went basically all day with just one cookie from the snack basket, along with 1 drink. In contrast, I know American is offering two drink services in economy on this route as I took it out to Phoenix. I was actually in First Class and thought AA's food and service was superior to what Delta would likely offer.

Is there any timeframe for Delta to restore service on these flights? Multiple drink passes, food (including snack boxes and sandwiches/wraps) for purchases, more proactive water service, etc? Economy seats were going for $$800-$1,000 on this flight. They can't afford to offer passengers a second Diet Coke?
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:16 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The cynical side of me thinks, a lot of DL FAs got used to minimal service during the COVID cutbacks, and now the company is hesitant to bring full pre-COVID service back because the FA unionization threat is constantly in the background
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM; DL PM
Counterpoint: I was on LAX-DCA yesterday in C+, and we got two full drink services, multiple passes of the snack basket, and even a couple “mini” drink services where the FAs came by with water and coffee on trays. 🤷‍♂️
Adelphos, Adam1222, becks1 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Adelphos
… 4 hour flight PHX to JFK
1) 1 drink service
2) 1 pass of the snack basket

Originally Posted by jhartvu
Counterpoint … LAX-DCA …
two full drink services, multiple passes of the snack basket, and even a couple “mini” drink services where the FAs came by with water and coffee on trays.
“consistently inconsistent” would seem to be a suitable description, esp since PHX-JFK is a 739 with 21 C+ seats and LAX-DCA is a 75S with 44 C+ seats
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:58 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by jrl767

“consistently inconsistent” would seem to be a suitable description, esp since PHX-JFK is a 739 with 21 C+ seats and LAX-DCA is a 75S with 44 C+ seats
On the most basic service element- the drink service- is this an operational issue dictated by DL as part of their service procedures? So perhaps transcons do get 2 in the back, but JFK-PHX doesn’t make the cut.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
JFK-PHX is within ~30 miles of SEA-ATL, and I definitely remember two drink services the last times I was in C+ on SEA-ATL (on 739, 757, 753, 763, 764)
rt23456p likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:22 pm

Why didn’t you just ask them for more drinks and snacks.

I hear you about the meal service though.

I'm flying JFK-PHX on Friday , hoping for upgrade !!
Old Oct 11, 2022, 5:29 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Originally Posted by Kerrirdh
Why didn’t you just ask them for more drinks and snacks.
Just don’t ring the call button. J/k 😁
Ghoulish, dw, Adelphos and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 6:59 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
C+ is a joke on longer flights.
Its no different than Y with just slightly more seat pitch and a free drink.

There is almost no reason to actually pay for C+.

I guess its more or less there for the Platinum and Diamonds who didn't get upgrade or WFBF crowd but its pretty lame.
becks1 and Ghoulish like this.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:11 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
Back when I was silver I’d pay for it. The increased seat pitch allowed me to use my laptop and get stuff done in flight. I appreciate the free drink, and I don’t want their food or snack basket. Economy food is 🤢 and I’d rather get a five guys burger or whatever than eat a nasty snack box.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 7:36 pm

I flew DTW-PHX in C+ last week. Two drink services plus water towards the end. I grabbed two items out of the snack box when it came around, plus some Biscoffs with the first service.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 6:59 am

Programs: AA PPro
I flew SEA-DTW this summer and there were sandwiches and fruit&cheese plates available for sale in economy.
Adelphos likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:40 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
I flew MCO-MSP Monday in Y. One pass of the snack basket, one full drink service and one trip down the aisle with coffee, then a half hour later with water.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:44 am

Programs: Delta, United
When traveling I always try to have a couple of granola bars in my carry on. More than once they have become lunch. And more than once I have asked for a "couple of biscoffs" for lunch.
Old Oct 12, 2022, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dw
The cynical side of me thinks, a lot of DL FAs got used to minimal service during the COVID cutbacks, and now the company is hesitant to bring full pre-COVID service back because the FA unionization threat is constantly in the background
That is exactly what is happening. PDB's are policy as well but we see there are plenty of flight attendants who flat out refuse to serve them. And Delta isn't going to make them do it either. This is just how it will be from now on sadly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.