Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Will Delta ever build first class / Delta One lounges?

Old Jan 29, 20, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Gold, AAdvantage Gold, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMEX Membership Rewards

As I sit here in another crowded lounge, I wanted to revisit Delta’s lounge policy. Delta has by far the most egalitarian lounge priority in the US - you can get lounge access with either of two premium cards (one of which isn’t even Delta branded), and other cardholders can buy one-day passes. On the other hand there are no lounges for Delta One customers while American and United both have them. As a result my lounge experience is the same when flying JFK to ATL or JFK to CDG/LAX. It makes it hard for Delta to offer a more premium ground service for certain segments. Will this ever change?
Old Jan 29, 20, 4:24 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by Adelphos View Post
As I sit here in another crowded lounge, I wanted to revisit Delta’s lounge policy. Delta has by far the most egalitarian lounge priority in the US - you can get lounge access with either of two premium cards (one of which isn’t even Delta branded), and other cardholders can buy one-day passes. On the other hand there are no lounges for Delta One customers while American and United both have them. As a result my lounge experience is the same when flying JFK to ATL or JFK to CDG/LAX. It makes it hard for Delta to offer a more premium ground service for certain segments. Will this ever change?
Probably not going to happen any time soon. IMO, I like not having a dedicated D1 lounge as having one would make the SC experience much worse. All one needs to do is look over at EWR and how terrible the UA clubs have became since the Polaris lounge opened. What should have happened at JFK is DL should have built 2 SC’s in T4 during the expansion, one up at the front of T4 B and another near the RJ section. This problem is only going to get worse once T2 is demolished and DL consolidates in T4.
worldwidedreamer and lsquare like this.
Old Jan 29, 20, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL; AA; UA; CO; LHLX; NZ; QR; EK; BA
Plans can and will change of course, but I did hear from the JFK SkyClub folks that there are apparently plans to add a D1 lounge at T4 with the extension of concourse A (to replace T2 as part of the JFK Redevelopment project).
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
DL had biz lounge in ATL and perhaps at least JFK in years gone by, but seems remote they would do otherwise. However. ClipperDelta rarely misses a DL clue.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PP, AA Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
DL had biz lounge in ATL and perhaps at least JFK in years gone by, but seems remote they would do otherwise. However. ClipperDelta rarely misses a DL clue.
Yup - ATL, JFK and even CVG at one point.

It's a middle ground in the gateway cities I think - for example the JFK/SEA skyclubs have upgraded food offerings (though not nearly as good as a Flagship or Polaris lounge) because they're international gateways, versus if there were separate lounges for business class I feel like we'd see the regular skyclub offerings in those cities downgraded.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:39 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer View Post
Probably not going to happen any time soon. IMO, I like not having a dedicated D1 lounge as having one would make the SC experience much worse. All one needs to do is look over at EWR and how terrible the UA clubs have became since the Polaris lounge opened. What should have happened at JFK is DL should have built 2 SC’s in T4 during the expansion, one up at the front of T4 B and another near the RJ section. This problem is only going to get worse once T2 is demolished and DL consolidates in T4.
United's problem was they took their biggest club in a crowded airport and converted it to Polaris, while trying to funnel everyone into the smaller club...and then having to hastily throw a pop up club, because the sheer amount of people was too much to handle. If Delta does do a dedicated D1, it might work if they build it fresh.

Back on topic, I heard the plan was for LAX to have one while their rebuilding T3
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM HH Diamond
I for one really enjoyed the concourse E biz lounge in ATL when it was such.

at that time it was my favorite crown room experience

miss it, would like to see them turn F sky club into BE lounge
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
I expect Delta’s first experiment with a Delta One lounge will come with the LAX T2/T3 rebuild. They already offer(ed) some premium Delta One specific ground checkin services there, so the precedent exists, and it seems like the right market to compete for premium TPAC and transcon traffic.
Old Jan 29, 20, 5:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTG, Hilton Diamond
JFK T4 is also getting a Centurion which will see a lot of DL passenger traffic between the AMEX Plat and changes to the DL Reserve to allow Centurion access
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Originally Posted by Duke787 View Post
JFK T4 is also getting a Centurion which will see a lot of DL passenger traffic between the AMEX Plat and changes to the DL Reserve to allow Centurion access
Any update on when this is expected to open?
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Since they are building a second smaller sky club across the hall for the DTW central skyclub, it would be nice if they would make that into a D1 lounge. I'm surprised since Am Ex is offering additional benefits to the Delta Reserve card they still admit non-branded Am Ex platinum members since both UA and AA require you hold their branded premium credit card and UA doesn't admit people in their club with a chase premium card and American doesn't with a premium Citi Card.

At least they are being fair now and allowing Centurion access with a reserve card if you are flying Delta but the only airports that will help me out at is LAS and when the JFK 4 terminal opens.
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by finny52 View Post
Any update on when this is expected to open?
IIRC on the Am Ex forum it is suppose to be late 2020. I'm looking forward to that club opening even though I like the Skydeck at JFK when the weather is nice.

I don't think anyone will argue that getting Centurion Club access with the reserve card is a true enhancement to the card.
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by BenA View Post
I expect Delta’s first experiment with a Delta One lounge will come with the LAX T2/T3 rebuild. They already offer(ed) some premium Delta One specific ground checkin services there, so the precedent exists, and it seems like the right market to compete for premium TPAC and transcon traffic.
LAX Centurion lounge in the TBIT this year. I just have no clue when. I don't think we'll get a D1 lounge as well.
Old Jan 29, 20, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbant, SPG Gold
Delta used to have dedicated first class lounges as well when they still had international first class. The smaller club on E was the first class lounge and the larger lounge fwas for business class. MCO also had a first class lounge. It was located by the 90's gates where it is currently occupied by The Club at MCO.
Old Jan 29, 20, 7:20 pm

It makes sense that first class passengers dont get skyclub access, as it would make them expect a good lounge experience.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: