Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL continues to weaken operationally (Summer 2022 Meltdown)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
dw, hockeystl, wrp96 and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I saw something in the news about DOT fining airlines for bad performance. Does anyone know details, including indeed whether this is just a proposal for discussion or something that they have the authority to do? What would the criteria be? I'm guessing that DL might be at the top of the list.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:16 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
It's almost like data points like this are useless. In the hours since this screen shot it is now AA at 15% delays 1% cxl, Southwest 10% delays, 2% cxl, United 8/3, Delta 7/6.

you may argue that Delta has "worse" stats here, but to suggest the other airlines are not having operations at issue at all.

Also note that UA has far more west coast flights so plenty of day left.
Mhyduchak and Goodoldflyer like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
All airlines are having issues to various levels. It seems like DL is worse on weekends and holidays as compared to AA and UA.

According to bts.gov (https://www.transtats.bts.gov/HomeDr..._fryrp6Z106u=H) through April:

DL 82.3% ontime, 15.96% delayed and 1.56% cancelled
AA 78.06% ontime, 17.90% delayed and 3.92% cancelled
UA 78.34% ontime, 19.08% delayed, and 2.37% cancelled
WN 73.76% ontime, 22.47% delayed and 3.6% cancelled

At least through April, DL was operationally better than the other three airlines. Comparing the same January-April timeframe, DL's cancellation rate on par with 2017's 1.62% and definitely better than 2014's 2.34%. DL's delayed percentage is worse than all other years except 2014. In comparison, AA's delays are on par with what they typically do and cancellations are markedly higher. United's performance is a little worse overall for delays and 1.5-2x worse for cancellations. Southwest's operational year is one of the worst on record for them.
Goodoldflyer likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by emma dog
All airlines are having issues to various levels. It seems like DL is worse on weekends and holidays as compared to AA and UA.

According to bts.gov (https://www.transtats.bts.gov/HomeDr..._fryrp6Z106u=H) through April:

DL 82.3% ontime, 15.96% delayed and 1.56% cancelled
AA 78.06% ontime, 17.90% delayed and 3.92% cancelled
UA 78.34% ontime, 19.08% delayed, and 2.37% cancelled
WN 73.76% ontime, 22.47% delayed and 3.6% cancelled

At least through April, DL was operationally better than the other three airlines. Comparing the same January-April timeframe, DL's cancellation rate on par with 2017's 1.62% and definitely better than 2014's 2.34%. DL's delayed percentage is worse than all other years except 2014. In comparison, AA's delays are on par with what they typically do and cancellations are markedly higher. United's performance is a little worse overall for delays and 1.5-2x worse for cancellations. Southwest's operational year is one of the worst on record for them.
The problems we are talking about for Delta largely started on around or leading up to Memorial Day
dls25, HDQDD, DLASflyer and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by emma dog

At least through April, DL was operationally better than the other three airlines.
That was then, and this is now...
hockeystl, Adelphos and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by Adam1222
It's almost like data points like this are useless. In the hours since this screen shot it is now AA at 15% delays 1% cxl, Southwest 10% delays, 2% cxl, United 8/3, Delta 7/6.

you may argue that Delta has "worse" stats here, but to suggest the other airlines are not having operations at issue at all.

1) No one is suggesting other airlines are un-impacted
2) Delta has been known for operational excellence. All things being equal, customers would expect Delta to perform meaningfully better than peers. Even if your points are right (and I don’t think they are), it would still represent a relative deterioration for Delta
MSPeconomist and cmd320 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:44 pm

Programs: Hhonors Gold, DL PM
Just waited 1.5 hours in Bos for a pushback crew. . . For a 50 minute flight
Old Jun 26, 2022, 1:46 pm

The only US airline which has canceled 5-10% of flights every Saturday, Sunday and Holiday for the past month is Delta.
HDQDD, cmd320 and truncated like this.

Last edited by DLASflyer; Jun 26, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Any bets for the upcoming 4th of July weekend? I'm expecting to see significant cancellations starting on Thurs...

With packed flights and zero slack in DL's schedule, there are going to be a lot of pax not able to get to their holiday destination for days...
DrMilano and cmd320 like this.

Last edited by rylan; Jun 26, 2022 at 2:14 pm
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Any bets for the upcoming 4th of July weekend? I'm expecting to see significant cancellations starting on Thurs...

With packed flights and zero slack in DL's schedule, there are going to be a lot of pax not able to get to their holiday destination for days...
Or for people travelling this week...home.
rylan likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, AmEx Plat, Agnostic on Airline Programs
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
You can call and add on the $150 UM fee per direction to the pnr.
Follow up: I'm glad I took your advice, as he's now sitting in the ATL airport on a connection that's been just cancelled. Fingers crossed that they can get him rebooked for the later plane tonight. On hold w/ UM line.
dls25 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:22 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
​​​​​​Its not clear that cancelling versus delays is "worse." Most customers prefer a cancellation over a rolling six hour delay. And cancellations can be easier for the rest of the system.

As for the link to Flight aware, one of the tricky things is people in this thread consider regionals to be Delta, and flightaware does not. But yesterday, AA delayed 25% of flights and canceled 2%. Delta delayed 12% and canceled 8%. United delayed 21% and canceled 3%. I don't think a pattern like this shows what you think.
You can't count most of the regionals from that report, because they fly for multiple airlines, so there's no way to see who the marketing carrier was. At least I didn't see any breakdown that way.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum

DL has a *significantly* worse competition metric. There's no argument, it's a fact. Today they have cancelled more than twice the percentage of flights as their closest (major) peer. The last few weekends have been the same, they've cancelled 2-4x the % of their flights compared to their competition.

I could almost understand this if DL were growing, but DL has emerged a much smaller carrier (flight wise) post-pandemmy, and they still can't operate at the level they should.
Old Jun 26, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
it sounds fun until you’re stuck in the middle of it at some airport with absolutely no one that can do anything, and there’s a three hour wait time to get through to a human on the phone.

And then you learn the next available seat is 2-3 days away from now. The fun really starts to wear off at that point.

Enjoy London!
Originally Posted by northinsouth
Follow up: I'm glad I took your advice, as he's now sitting in the ATL airport on a connection that's been just cancelled. Fingers crossed that they can get him rebooked for the later plane tonight. On hold w/ UM line.
They will move heaven and earth to avoid a UM being stranded overnight. They dont want the liability. He will get on the next flight even if they have to IDB someone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.