Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to decrease the July/early August schedule by 100 flights/day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to decrease the July/early August schedule by 100 flights/day

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2022, 6:30 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Same goes for FAs. The perfesser knows a woman who got hired on as a FA last year who got stuck with NYC as her first base and she’s scrambling to move to ATL so it’s only a 45 minute commute to home and husband. (She’s in her late 50s and not really interested in living in a party town. She probably got hired because she’s bilingual and has both USA and German passports)
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
International routes where its much cheaper/better value for the price
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you looked at international routes recently and how much it costs for coach???

It’s like $2k for a coach ticket
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
I know FT gives absolutely no margin for error sometimes but to a point, yes they absolutely are. Delta has never seen a brain drain like they have seen post COVID and has never seen hiring needs be has high as they are across the board. They offered the best early out package ever offered in Delta history and in some cases had nearly entire departments take an early out. They also have never had to deal with taking on new aircraft + reactivating old aircraft in the way that they have had to deal with in the last two years before either. Not to mention all the supply chain issues, MRO/vender availability. Add on top of that the staffing shortages at the mainline and regional level......it may not be a true rebuild but its pretty darn close to one.

So while Delta could have handled things better, IMO, they are having to navigate a storm never seen before in this industry. I, for one, am happy Delta management is being smart enough to pull down the schedule a little bit to get reliability back to the Delta standard that keeps a lot of the Delta HVC/FF base around, myself included.
Cry me a river. Not a single aircraft was destroyed. Not a single physical asset disappeared. The reservation system is exactly the same as it was on January 1, 2020. If there was a "brain drain," it was one of their own making.

If DL needs to cancel flights, then for the love of God, do it with a week's notice so pax can figure out options. Not with an hour to go before the flight is supposed to take off.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by kavok
The other aspect to the staffing issue, that no one wants to mention, is NYC itself.

The cost of living is so high, that many pilots don’t (or can’t afford) to live there. And while that was also true before Covid, being a pilot based in NYC was sort of a ”young pilot putting their time in to climb the ladder” type of thing. Young pilots, for many airlines, would commute to work in NYC until they could gain enough seniority to be based closer to home, or in a more affordable or personally preferable location.
Well, it depends, right? I won't argue that it's cheaper to live in ATL or DTW than NYC. But if a pilot wants to live in midtown Manhattan and then commute to JFK/LGA just get to the airport, that's not going to make a lot of sense. It would be more logical for them to live in Queens, where the cost of living (while more than ATL or DTW suburbs) are much more reasonable.
Old May 27, 2022, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
If DL needs to cancel flights, then for the love of God, do it with a week's notice so pax can figure out options. Not with an hour to go before the flight is supposed to take off.
I mean thats literally what this thread is about. how they're proactively trimming the schedule by 100 flights 2 months out (when the schedule would have usually been long finalized by this point). Unfortunately this memo "leaked" at the same time as a weather waiver, for a very real weather event occurring in the days leading up to memorial day weekend, so everyone is jumping on the bandwagon. DL was not unique in issuing waivers covering the weekend, and the FAA has been saying daily since Tuesday in their system briefings to expect GDP, GS and reroutes through the areas as this weather system passes through.

Cry me a river. Not a single aircraft was destroyed. Not a single physical asset disappeared. The reservation system is exactly the same as it was on January 1, 2020. If there was a "brain drain," it was one of their own making.
Airlines are an immense operation, and I'm not sure you fully understand the scale if you're simplifying their operational woes to "not a single aircraft being destroyed" and the "reservation system is exactly the same". Aircraft are usually being run daily, not parking for months at a time. When you park an aircraft for months, it takes labor to demobilize it, and when you want to resume flying it, it takes labor to remobilize it. Delta employes ~75k people, 18k took buyouts or early retirement. Thats almost 25% of their workforce that turned over in under a year. Name me a single company that can trim their workforce by that much over that time period, and have a normal operation 1.5 years later supporting the level they were running at prior to losing that 25%. It takes time to rebuild from that, especially when most 4-6 week training classes can only hold a max of around 20 people, plus the issues with finding labor in the first place.

Last edited by Lux Flyer; May 27, 2022 at 11:48 am
Old May 27, 2022, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
Airlines are an immense operation, and I'm not sure you fully understand the scale if you're simplifying their operational woes to "not a single aircraft being destroyed" and the "reservation system is exactly the same". Aircraft are usually being run daily, not parking for months at a time. When you park an aircraft for months, it takes labor to demobilize it, and when you want to resume flying it, it takes labor to remobilize it.
Just as the other majors did. But DL's cancellation rate is significantly higher than the others. You can be a DL apologist all you want, but we customers will continue to demand a certain standard that at least matches the mediocre standards of the major airlines.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Just as the other majors did. But DL's cancellation rate is significantly higher than the others. You can be a DL apologist all you want, but we customers will continue to demand a certain standard that at least matches the mediocre standards of the major airlines.
Higher today but AA, UA, WN, B6 and AS have all had similar meltdows in the last year. What I find fascinating is Delta cut the most capacity of any of them but still ended up with the same problem, albeit later than the others. What I’d like to hear is whether this is at its core a staffing problem or a training problem. One of those can be fixed much faster than the other.
HDQDD likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Duke787
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Have you looked at international routes recently and how much it costs for coach???

It’s like $2k for a coach ticket
Or, $6000 coach seats to PVG, that used to be $600.
Old May 27, 2022, 3:06 pm

ATCR data from the US DOT directly contradict your claims: https://www.transportation.gov/sites...022%20ATCR.pdf.

On page 8, you can see the statistics for overall on-time arrival percentage, where Delta is ranked in second place for the year and third place for March (the most recent month in the report), beating both American and United. Furthermore, page 28 lists the percentage of total cancellations for each airline, where Delta ranks second-best for March, losing only to Hawaiian. Page 29 shows YTD cancellation data for 2022, where Delta retains its spot in second behind Hawaiian. Finally, page 58 and 59 shows the number of consumer complaints made for each airline, where Delta again beats American and United.

Granted, this data is slightly dated as a lot has changed in the last couple of months, but all official data currently available points to Delta having the best operations between the major legacy carriers.
Old May 27, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
It is cheeky for Delta to call this “rebuilding an airline” when in fact it is just a chaotic dismantling of their COVID-diminished schedules. I thought they were proud to have the best-running airline just a few months ago.

How about starting instead with an apology to the customers for bungling their ramp-up from COViD? If they are too arrogant about “changing schedules” when it could be perceived as an attempt to gradually squeeze people off the planes by cancelling trips … and then reselling the more limited space to others at higher fares, then we could see the politicians taking interest. Especially if this looks like…umm… coordinated action by several airlines.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by kavok
The other aspect to the staffing issue, that no one wants to mention, is NYC itself.

The cost of living is so high, that many pilots don’t (or can’t afford) to live there. And while that was also true before Covid, being a pilot based in NYC was sort of a ”young pilot putting their time in to climb the ladder” type of thing. Young pilots, for many airlines, would commute to work in NYC until they could gain enough seniority to be based closer to home, or in a more affordable or personally preferable location.
I don't buy this for a hot second. Mainline pilots for DL earn six-figure incomes. There are MILLIONS of people living in the tri-state area on incomes less than what the pilots make. Do thay make enough to live in Manhattan? Probably not, but there are plenty of communities proximate to JFK and LGA where they can afford to live.

To be brutally honest, there is no surprise about what pilots earn. They, like the rest of us, have a choice to make that balances income expectations with cost of living with geographic desirability with family obligations. We all make these decisions and we are not victims.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
This statement is flat out wrong. EVERY major US airline has had operational meltdowns post-COVID due to staffing. You think it's bad on DL? Haul yourself over to AA where it had been an operational disaster more often than not. DCA totally melted down on Monday due to weather and AA was telling folks it could take 3 - 4 days to get them home.

I don't think anyone is being a DL apologist by pointing out every company is struggling with labor issues right now. I am not pleased with DL post-COVID for a number of reasons, but none of them have anything to do with their inability to maintain a schedule. There's a lot of people sitting on this thread thinking the grass is greener over at AA, UA and WN. I'm here to tell you it's not that green over here...at least on AA and UA, which I fly regularly.
Old May 27, 2022, 8:25 pm

Up until a few weeks ago meltdowns were met with automatic compensation. Delta seems to have realized all US airlines are a mess and there's no need to hand out miles.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:23 pm

The latest data from A4A show even before the coming cuts Delta slashed twice as many seats as its competitors compared to 2019. Ed bet against a recovery and he was very, very wrong.

NotHamSarnie likes this.
Old May 27, 2022, 9:46 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I have spent the last hour deleting off--topic posts. I see no reason to keep this thread open.
Enjoy your weekend
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator
TWA884 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.