Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL to decrease the July/early August schedule by 100 flights/day

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to decrease the July/early August schedule by 100 flights/day

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2022, 1:07 pm

Has this already happened? Or is this going to happen? I had a notice of a July flight cancellation/change earlier this week.
Auto Enthusiast and DLASflyer like this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I just looked at the DL statement (the news announcement dated today that's linked in the OP) and it's worded in future tense. From this, I assume that a hundred (more) cancellations are going to happen.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:19 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Definitely sounds necessary based on the all the recent cancellations and staffing issues.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM 2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium/Ambassador Elite , Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond
There is no doubt in my mind this will result in higher fares and greater profits for Delta
Old May 26, 2022, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If flights are being cancelled because there's a shortage of *pilots*, does this mean that FAs are generally getting reduced hours compared to what they would otherwise have? If so, being paid for boarding time would imperfectly (some win and some lose compared to normal schedules without being paid for boarding) make up for the earnings gap.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Where all the reserve pilots and FAs from deltas recent hiring blitz? My upcoming june flight has been rescheduled 6 times already.
Old May 26, 2022, 2:57 pm

Well thats just perfect. Lets see how many more times they can screw with my flights. Ive got a flight to SEA in July that has been rebooked 4 times now due to schedule changes.
Old May 26, 2022, 3:33 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
The really cynical part of me says to book my flights TODAY that are the cheapest possible and just wait until I'm entitled to a free change to the routings I actually want.

The reality is, they'll probably just change them again.

Sigh.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
The really cynical part of me says to book my flights TODAY that are the cheapest possible and just wait until I'm entitled to a free change to the routings I actually want.

The reality is, they'll probably just change them again.

Sigh.
If anyone books speculative flights Friday wait until Sunday to change them to preferred flights or the system will cancel them based on 24-hour risk-free.
Kerrirdh likes this.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:25 pm

Programs: American, Delta, Southwest, Alaska
I've got a July flight from Toronto to Barcelona RT. About a month ago they changed the return to leaving Barcelona on time, but then stopping at CDG for a FULL DAY before returning home. It was an apx $1600 RT biz class offer bought months ago. Wonder what my chances are of keeping this flight intact?
Old May 26, 2022, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
If anyone books speculative flights Friday wait until Sunday to change them to preferred flights or the system will cancel them based on 24-hour risk-free.
Heck if the refundable fare is reasonable (they often are these days), I'd book that. Especially if you're booking during a quiet (cheaper) part of the day but would prefer to be on a busier (more expensive) rush hour flight. It's a variation of what I sometimes do with first class fares and SDC when on personal travel.

I also sometimes book (comparatively) cheap partner awards and hope that a schedule change occurs so I can force award space on Delta metal.
Old May 26, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Less flight options = People forced to make longer layovers

Longer layovers = More time spent in SkyClubs

More SkyClub time = More crowds.

should be a fun summer.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:04 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by xliioper
Not entirely clear if the 100 flights/day refers only to mainline flights. The July/August reductions last weekend were a combination of mainline and Connection Carrier flights.
Pretty clear that it is 100% mainline for the cancellations this weekend. 72 mainline cancelled so far today and 100 already cancelled for tomorrow . This will likely continue through the summer. Doesn't mean that Delta Connection carriers won't add to the totals based upon their own labor issues.
Old May 26, 2022, 5:11 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
Where all the reserve pilots and FAs from deltas recent hiring blitz? My upcoming june flight has been rescheduled 6 times already.
There are only so many simulators and so many instructors and so many line-check airman. Even at max training capacity, it's going to take a couple of years for all of the large airlines to get caught up on pilot training.
Old May 26, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Better than an hour before departure.
ty97 and Auto Enthusiast like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.