Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Companion Certificates Nearly Impossible To Use In 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Certificates Nearly Impossible To Use In 2022?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by TerryK
ExpertFlyer is your friend.
It’s sort of your friend. For example if you want Z fare you also need Q fare buckets. Unfortunately it seems that expert flyer will alert you when either bucket changes. For example I have a flight I’m interested in but it only has Z buckets and no Q buckets. I get alerts all the time that Q bucket changed but every time I check it’s still Q0. But I see that the number of Z seats has changed. I think there’s something similar with AA as well where the buckets are tied. Also expert flyer will show broken fares (greater than 4 hours connecting) but you can’t book those on Delta.
Auston likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Z fares have U/T/X/V fare basis codes (and thus require at least U to be open to book), while I fares have Q/K/L (although cert allows either Z or I fares so having I and Q open should be sufficient for cert as long as any fare rule requirements are met). Not clear if poster was trying to use certs for coach or FC. Coach requires L/U/T/X/V booking availability and it may never open for popular flight times.
In addition to EF, you can set Google Flights price alerts (can't set for a specific fare bucket, but if you are familiar with fare filings on route you can see if price point fall to point which indicates availability in fare bucket).
Auston likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 29, 2022 at 8:36 am
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:15 am

Follow up question to my post above. My certificate I'm trying to use includes the W fare bucket. I can book into W on a paid fare, but it isn't offered when I try to use the certificate. Is it more complicated than what I think it is/should be? TIA
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auston
Follow up question to my post above. My certificate I'm trying to use includes the W fare bucket. I can book into W on a paid fare, but it isn't offered when I try to use the certificate. Is it more complicated than what I think it is/should be? TIA
Does it show at least W2? You need 2 seats in the same fare class to book companion cert.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:15 am

Trying to book a ski trip over New Years and all ATL>DEN flights are sold out using the cert in all classes up to 1/3.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 11:54 am

It's actually showing W9 on EF, so I'm not sure what's happening.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 12:06 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
I am trying to use mine for sometime around Christmas New Years period. Trying lots of different routes on Expert Flyer and it’s clear that Delta is holding out trying to sell higher fare tickets as all LUTXV fare classes are zero’d out on all flight options for so many routes.

My guess is they will open some LUTXV space at some point, but does anyone have any ideas as to when that might happen or past experience? I am wondering if it won’t be until closer to like 60 days out??
Old Jul 29, 2022, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL 3MM, US 972k (AA 0.0k), Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz G, Nurburgring in 8:29
Used mine for an I fare for CVG-LAS-CVG without issue. Booked it 290 days in advance.

However now I need to make changes to that trip so who knows what will happen.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sydneyracquelle
Trying to book a ski trip over New Years and all ATL>DEN flights are sold out using the cert in all classes up to 1/3.
Maybe you’ll have better luck for flights to the Caribbean over New Years.
photojojo, Adam1222 and findark like this.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Auston
It's actually showing W9 on EF, so I'm not sure what's happening.
There must also be availability in one of the LUTXV fare classes in order to use Companion Cert with C+ fares. Having W alone open is not sufficient. All C+ fares have an underlying coach class (first letter of fare basis code) and there is a dual inventory check when purchasing them.
Old Jul 29, 2022, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I am trying to use mine for sometime around Christmas New Years period. Trying lots of different routes on Expert Flyer and it’s clear that Delta is holding out trying to sell higher fare tickets as all LUTXV fare classes are zero’d out on all flight options for so many routes.

My guess is they will open some LUTXV space at some point, but does anyone have any ideas as to when that might happen or past experience? I am wondering if it won’t be until closer to like 60 days out??
Depending on route, there's a decent chance some dates will never have any flights with LUTXV classes open around Christmas. I'm using a couple certs for DTW-AUS around Christmas and had to fly out on Christmas day in order to find flights with outbound availability.

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 30, 2022 at 11:01 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
There must also be availability in one of the LUTXV fare classes in order to use Companion Cert with C+ fares. Having W alone open is not sufficient. All C+ fares have an underlying coach class (first letter of fare basis code) and there is a dual inventory check when purchasing them.
Thank you very much!
Old Jul 30, 2022, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by xliioper
Z fares have U/T/X/V fare basis codes (and thus require at least U to be open to book), while I fares have Q/K/L (although cert allows either Z or I fares so having I and Q open should be sufficient for cert as long as any fare rule requirements are met). Not clear if poster was trying to use certs for coach or FC. Coach requires L/U/T/X/V booking availability and it may never open for popular flight times.
In addition to EF, you can set Google Flights price alerts (can't set for a specific fare bucket, but if you are familiar with fare filings on route you can see if price point fall to point which indicates availability in fare bucket).
Looks like not quite the case for I fares (at least my current expertflyer shows thusly):
9/10/22 DEN - ALB:
DL712 (DEN-ATL) shows: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z8 W9 S0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L5 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
DL2225 (ATL-ALB) shows: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 W9 S0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L4 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9

Delta.com won't show it as eligible for First Class (I or Z) with companion cert.
Z, I can understand if it requires UTXV since there's no UTXV available. But plenty of IQKL available.
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hurnik
Looks like not quite the case for I fares (at least my current expertflyer shows thusly):
9/10/22 DEN - ALB:
DL712 (DEN-ATL) shows: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z8 W9 S0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L5 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9
DL2225 (ATL-ALB) shows: J9 C9 D9 I9 Z9 W9 S0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L4 U0 T0 X0 V0 E9

Delta.com won't show it as eligible for First Class (I or Z) with companion cert.
Z, I can understand if it requires UTXV since there's no UTXV available. But plenty of IQKL available.
Searching for FC availability with Reserve certs often seems to have issues (people have reported being able to get flights by calling if website not allowing them for some reason when there is I or Z fare availability and they should be bookable). There are definitely I fares bookable on this itin without the cert (it's letting me book up to 4 seats in LA7OA0FE I fare due to L4 availability which is what one would expect -- attempting with 5 pax or more on booking, it bumps fare to KA7OA0FE I fare as expected).

Last edited by xliioper; Jul 30, 2022 at 11:50 am
Old Jul 30, 2022, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Maybe you’ll have better luck for flights to the Caribbean over New Years.
Companion cert is only good in USA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.