Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Companion Certificates Nearly Impossible To Use In 2022?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Certificates Nearly Impossible To Use In 2022?

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 11:20 am

I've used two of the reserve ones. Booked dtw-sea for june in probably february, and then dtw-mco in late july about a month ago. Both of those were into first class inventory though (alhtough pretty sure coach was available too). I've had other trips that I looked that I didn't have any luck on, but for me, it's seemed about normal for whether I've been able to use them.
Old May 19, 2022, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
More Flyertalk hyperbole.
Adam1222 and findark like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 1:43 pm
Formerly doc4science

Programs: United Airlines Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know if you can cancel the DL platinum after booking a companion fare, but before flying it?
Old May 19, 2022, 2:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Are you willing to do CMH- JAX? Randon check June 15 return June 19, $447 with cert applied. 104 miles between JAX and DAB.

(edit: unless you really trust the roofing company, I suggest you stay during install and make sure components are all there.)

Last edited by Bradhattan; May 19, 2022 at 2:26 pm
Old May 19, 2022, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bradhattan
Are you willing to do CMH- JAX? Randon check June 15 return June 19, $447 with cert applied. 104 miles between JAX and DAB.

(edit: unless you really trust the roofing company, I suggest you stay during install and make sure components are all there.)
MCO is considerably closer to DAB than JAX. There are multiple things conspiring here -- relatively close-in search, popular travel period, airport with limited service (ATL-DAB only gets 4x daily flights and DAB has no service to other hubs). Due to far more service, MCO will have more options and better chance of finding dates with L fare or lower open. One strategy is to use Google Flights in calendar view and do a one-way search in each direction for 2 pax. You can use that to quickly find dates in each direction with L or lower fare availability based on price points showing in Google Flights calendar.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by xliioper
MCO is considerably closer to DAB than JAX. There are multiple things conspiring here -- relatively close-in search, popular travel period, airport with limited service (ATL-DAB only gets 4x daily flights and DAB has no service to other hubs). Due to far more service, MCO will have more options and better chance of finding dates with L fare or lower open. One strategy is to use Google Flights in calendar view and do a one-way search in each direction for 2 pax. You can use that to quickly find dates in each direction with L or lower fare availability based on price points showing in Google Flights calendar.
Good call on MCO...as I mentioned, randow search/first search.

BTW - MCO is also available 6/15-19 with cert
Old May 19, 2022, 8:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Originally Posted by Stoney18
I've had good luck this year. OMA-LGA booked end of April for early June. OMA-IAD booked last week for end of July. Both nonstop which I thought would be impossible to get.
This confuses me. It looks like DL flies OMA-DCA, which is a surprise considering AA doesn't. I wonder what's the backstory behind such an oddball, point-to-point route?
Old May 19, 2022, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by doc4science
Does anyone know if you can cancel the DL platinum after booking a companion fare, but before flying it?
Yes, you can even cancel before booking, as long as you have another Amex to put the ticket on.

Also, consider downgrading to the blue card instead of cancelling, it can help your credit and relationship with Amex.
Old May 19, 2022, 9:14 pm

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
This confuses me. It looks like DL flies OMA-DCA, which is a surprise considering AA doesn't. I wonder what's the backstory behind such an oddball, point-to-point route?
There are some big businesses in Omaha, namely Berkshire Hathaway and Union Pacific, must need to lobby often.
Old May 20, 2022, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta
My mistake, it wasn't IAD it was DCA. I get them switch too often.
Old May 20, 2022, 1:18 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
DL only flies to 4 cities out of DCA that are not currently hubs or focus cities. One is CVG, and that's obvious historical reasons.
the other 3 are LEX, MSN, and OMA- *none* of which are served by AA out of DCA, and are three of the largest within-perimeter cities that are not.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond; UA-Silver (moan); Hilton-DIA; Marriott-PPE; IHG-Plat; NC-Exec Elite
these are worthless. I have three and good luck trying to find any flights that have LUTXV available. I was willing to use buying an (available) higher comfort+ (W) fare, but they wouldn't;'t let me because there were no LUTXV fares available. what a joke. 20 years of flying and multiple million miles - can't wait to be done in the next few years
Old Jul 2, 2022, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mdaecher
these are worthless. I have three and good luck trying to find any flights that have LUTXV available. I was willing to use buying an (available) higher comfort+ (W) fare, but they wouldn't;'t let me because there were no LUTXV fares available. what a joke. 20 years of flying and multiple million miles - can't wait to be done in the next few years
I'm sorry you have found them worthless. Perhaps if you share some information as to what you are trying to book them for people can be of assistance. My partner and I had a total of four to use this year and we were able to use all four on our preferred dates and routes, including the last just last week

The new ability to change tickets without a fee makes these much more valuable, as you can book in advance and if you change your mind, make a change to different flights or dates without losing the certificate.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 4:11 pm
WGM

Programs: DL PM
My wife and I had a backlog of extended certs due to Covid. We have had no problem using three of them this year: CHA-PHX, CHA-MSY, and BNA-SEA. We have two more to use and seeing availability.
Adam1222 and bloc0102 like this.
Old Jul 2, 2022, 6:13 pm

I had 6 certs due to extensions and multiple Amex cards to use up by 1/31/23. Used all 6 with no problem but I knew to book my trips and dates far in advance.
Adam1222 and bloc0102 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.