Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Premium Select

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2022, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frudd38
Yea it's a tough choice between direct 7.5 hours VS 1 connection in C+ with potential paid upgrade to PS (and flexibility to cancel for close in J award). PS does seem to be on par and not much better than FI "J".
Note PS on MSP-KEF will be a domestic F seat. What would normally be marketed as Domestic F/D1 is sold as PS on MSP-KEF and UK/IRELAND flights(SNN/DUB in past years) when non-lie flat 757s are used.
Old May 6, 2022, 5:31 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Flew PS on the A350 ATL-AMS.

Good news - the seat is perfect (window, right side), I slept for 3-4 hours, TV/IFE screen was large, bright, clear (and they put a dark sticker over the annoying blue LED), aircraft pressure/humidity was good, and the passengers were mostly well behaved (there were some drunk Dutch dudes in the middle with their families). Headphones were good too - left my Bose QC35ii at home - and pillow blanket combo was sufficient.

Bad news - the A350 seat (mine in particular) was in really bad shape (the cover was torn off the bottom/foot rest, and the foam had come out), and the food and beverage service was worse than Aer Lingus. The "chardonnay" was a dark bronze color similar to someone's urine with a failing liver. I had the "red" instead which wasn't much better.

Here is a photo of the dinner (I didn't eat).

Dinner, PS, A350, TATL

Last edited by lindros2; May 6, 2022 at 7:48 pm
Old May 6, 2022, 6:34 pm

I flew PS in April, AMS to BOS. My meal was sure better than that. I had to laugh re your Aer Lingus comment…I’m flying them soon in economy…BOS to Dub. Guess I shouldn’t expect much.
lindros2 likes this.
Old May 6, 2022, 7:49 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by Barrheadlass
I flew PS in April, AMS to BOS. My meal was sure better than that. I had to laugh re your Aer Lingus comment…I’m flying them soon in economy…BOS to Dub. Guess I shouldn’t expect much.
I paid €3 for a bagel on Aer Lingus that was soggy and awful.
but at the time - best food I ever had in the eternity of time.
Old May 9, 2022, 1:48 pm

Final update - PS mini-review.

Outbound was covered above in post 47 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34227936-post47.html). I left out the amenity kit, which you can see below, in maroon/purple.
On the Return (AMS > ATL), there were a couple of very nice things:
1. Delta Sky Priority in AMS cut through the economy cattle call line, with smaller/more private first security screening. This was excellent, as my covid test and vaccine verification went smoothly.
2. Boarding was right after ONE/Diamond (in ATL, Priority, Comfort+, and Sky Priority were all lumped together - bad).
3. Food wasn't bad. I had the curry chicken for lunch (other option was ravioli with tomato). Mid-flight was a warm cookie, then I stopped by the pantry for cheese and crackers. Arrival/landing meal was a weird grilled cheese brioche.
4. Amenity kit was awful. But headphones were good.

Lunch

Amenity kit - return (AMS>ATL) on left, outbound (ATL>AMS) on right.
Synapseturquoise likes this.
Old May 9, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by lindros2
3. Food wasn't bad. I had the curry chicken for lunch (other option was ravioli with tomato). Mid-flight was a warm cookie, then I stopped by the pantry for cheese and crackers. Arrival/landing meal was a weird grilled cheese brioche.
I personally don’t mind Delta’s economy meals (even though they swim in very salty sauce) BUT the bottom line is that it is what it is - an economy meal.

Last edited by urifin; May 10, 2022 at 7:40 am
Old May 9, 2022, 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by urifin
I personally don’t mind Delta’s economy meals (even though they swim in very salty sauce) BUT the bottom
line is that it is what it is - an economy meal.
Agree 100%. They DID offer gluten free to people behind me (pre-selected).
Note that they screwed up the amenity kit on return - it says "Comfort+". a.k.a. economy.
cathep likes this.
Old May 11, 2022, 7:32 am

anyone think Delta's fall/decline in JD Power this year will nudge them to improve Premium Select?
For $3700 r/t (ATL <> Europe), getting economy-class food and a crap Comfort+ amenity bag is a crime.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jd-pow...faction-study/
Old May 11, 2022, 8:05 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Unfortunately, I think we just have to come to the realization that the only thing you're really paying for when it comes to PS is a better seat than in Y. If that is ok, than PS is worth the price.

If you want a Premium Economy cabin with true service differential you need to fly Virgin Atlantic or (in between Virgin and Delta) Air France.
Old May 11, 2022, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by lindros2
anyone think Delta's fall/decline in JD Power this year will nudge them to improve Premium Select?
For $3700 r/t (ATL <> Europe), getting economy-class food and a crap Comfort+ amenity bag is a crime.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/jd-pow...faction-study/
I find it laughable and difficult to take any ranking seriously that has any carrier with a true PE product is behind JetBlue in the “Premium Economy” category (or behind AS, at #3, also ahead of carriers with a true PE product). This is not a knock on B6 but it’s laughable to compare “Even More Space” on B6 to PS on DL, PE on AA and AC, or Premium Plus on UA. These are entirely different products.

But going along with your question, why would the JD Power rankings drive DL to change though? Of the airlines with an actual PE cabin, DL still ranked above them coming in at #2 in the Premium Economy category, again, only being B6.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:07 am

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Unfortunately, I think we just have to come to the realization that the only thing you're really paying for when it comes to PS is a better seat than in Y. If that is ok, than PS is worth the price.

If you want a Premium Economy cabin with true service differential you need to fly Virgin Atlantic or (in between Virgin and Delta) Air France.
How long before the Joint Venture requires VS to downgrade their PE product to match DL and AF?
Old May 11, 2022, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by dcstudent

Honestly we switched from VS > DL premium econ because VS delayed the 787 rollout, and was using old/dirty A340's on their last legs (broken power, tiny screens, and busted seats).
Old May 11, 2022, 1:26 pm

Programs: UA silver, Bonvoy silver
UA is restoring free liquor in its O cabin. Too much passenger pushback

https://liveandletsfly.com/alcohol-m...emium-economy/

Basically, UA will be where PS used to be with business class meals and free alcohol

Last edited by Unitedloyalflyer; May 11, 2022 at 3:46 pm
Old May 11, 2022, 3:38 pm

Programs: Flying Blue, Hilton Honors, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
I find it laughable and difficult to take any ranking seriously that has any carrier with a true PE product is behind JetBlue in the “Premium Economy” category (or behind AS, at #3, also ahead of carriers with a true PE product). This is not a knock on B6 but it’s laughable to compare “Even More Space” on B6 to PS on DL, PE on AA and AC, or Premium Plus on UA. These are entirely different products.

But going along with your question, why would the JD Power rankings drive DL to change though? Of the airlines with an actual PE cabin, DL still ranked above them coming in at #2 in the Premium Economy category, again, only being B6.
Chances are that JD Power is combing C+ and PS.
Old May 11, 2022, 9:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hhdl
Chances are that JD Power is combing C+ and PS.
Which means 1 of 2 things:
A) It’s laughable that they’d rate a standard economy seat with extra legroom over a true PE product and thus the ranking they used is highly questionable
Or
B) They’ve misused the term “Premium Economy” and actually didn’t evaluate PE at all, but only rather compared Y+ cabins and thus the fact that they don’t know what Premium Economy is makes their rankings questionable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.