Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 2, 2022, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: bgriff
For discussion of same-day change on an itinerary with an RUC applied, see: SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

FEB 1, 2022 New GUC/RUC Inventory Rules

*****GUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Last Seat J (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has DPS only
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
DPS = Last Seat (GUC=P / RUC=G) (Old Policy = RY)
D1 = OY @ T-24h15m

Flight has D1 with DPS
DPS = Purchased
D1 = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Note: If GUC applied to domestic flight, it has better inventory than RUC (better chance for D1 transcon or to Hawaii)

*****RUC*****

Flight has First Class
MC/C+ = Purchased
First = Z (Old Policy = OY)

Flight has D1 with no DPS
MC/C+ = Purchased
D1 = OY (no change in old policy = OY)

Delta is using public inventory buckets J Z P G (and non-public bucket OY in some cases) to determine GUC/RUC availability. However once they have confirmed you the system converts the segment in your reservation to a different bucket. Here is the class mapping:
GUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / P class needed / Books into RV (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available)
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OK
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / Z class needed / Books into OK
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / J class needed / Books into OV

RUC Usage
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to DPS / G class needed / Books into RX (Clears at T-24.15 into D1 as OX if OY available) ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to D1 (no DPS) / OY class needed / Books into OX
DPS purchased / Upgrade to D1 / OY class needed / Books into OX ****THIS AIRCRAFT CONFIG MAKES NO SENSE DPS IS NOT SOLD ON RUC ROUTES, MAYBE THIS IS FOR FUTURE PLANS?****
MC or C+ purchased / Upgrade to FC (no D1/DPS) / Z class needed / Books into OL

New Delta.com Upgrade Availability Indicators that appeared 2/1/22 and what they mean

Dom D1 Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z (OY = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Z /or/ RUC in OY both available

Dom F Tag meaning:
Global Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in Last Seat J (Z = 0 for RUC)
Upgrade Certificate Available = GUC in last seat J /or/ RUC in Z both available

Example D1 Flights from JFK - LAX (flight numbers are fictitious)

DL 01
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY2
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (2 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 02
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J5 C4 D4 Z3
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (OY) open, 3 GUC (Z) open)

DL 03
Dom D1 flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Hidden Availability: OY0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available GUC (Z0) and RUC (OY0)

DL 04
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z1
Hidden Availability: n/a
Website indicator: Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (1 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 05
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J3 C2 D2 Z0
Website indicator: Global Upgrade Certificate Available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 3 GUC (J) open)

DL 06
Dom First flight
Actual Availability: J0 C0 D0 Z0
Website indicator: No flag - neither is available
Actual decode: (0 RUC (Z) open, 0 GUC (J) open)

I’m not able to check-in online for a flight where RUC/GUC was applied.
The problem is most likely that your upgrade cleared but your ticket has not been re-issued. Call to request a manual re-issue of your ticket.

__________________________________________________ __

PRE FEB 1, 2022 WIKI
More information and discussion about using same-day change after applying regional upgrades can be found in this thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...ve-thread.html
  • The clock begins ticking on RUC expiration when you make your choice benefit selection, so it's possible to time your selection when there is a specific need to use them.
  • You can select your 2017 choice benefit as soon as DL recognizes your Plat status. Certificates expire 12 months from date of issue. 2019 choice benefits (earned based on how much one flew in 2018) must be selected by Jan 31, 2020.
  • If you select certificates as your choice benefit late in your Medallion tenure, it will still be valid after your status expires -- so for example if you earn Platinum Medallion in 2018, which is valid through Jan 31, 2020, but then only earn Silver Medallion in 2019, which becomes effective Feb 1, 2020 when your Platinum Medallion status expires, RUCs selected in January 2020 would be valid through January 2021 and could be used once you were only a Silver Medallion member, giving you a much higher upgrade list position on those flights where you attempt to use them.
  • If you request to use a RUC on a flight and do not receive the upgrade, it is returned to your account for future use, but check your account to make sure.
  • RUC may be redeemed for the named Medallion member and up to one travel companion traveling on the same flight (the companion officially no longer needs to be in the same reservation, though that rule was not actually enforced even when it was the official rule). The named member and the companion will each require a separate certificate.

While the RUC process is almost entirely opaque, there are a couple of "hints" of a correctly applied waitlist.

1a) When viewing a waitlisted segment on the DL.com web site (not the app), there may be two seat maps for the same flight. The first seat map shows the coach seat you are currently in, and the second seat map for the same flight says "you may not select seats for this flight" or something like that. This second seat map corresponds to a part of the waitlist process, and indicates that at least one step of the multi-step process to add an RUC waitlist was actually done. Unfortunately, this does NOT indicate that the other manual steps of the RUC waitlist process were successfully completed by the agent (i.e. even if you see the second seat map, there still could be something wrong. There is simply no way for the customer to tell.)

1b) The status for a waitlisted segment should say something like "Upgrade Waitlisted"

2) Assuming the waitlist does not clear prior to check-in, the second hint is the upgrade waitlist. If the RUC waitlist request was coded correctly, you should show up at or very near the top of the upgrade waitlist that you can see on DL.com or the app. If you find yourself at your "usual" spot on the upgrade waitlist, this is a clue that the RUC waitlist request was not coded correctly.

3) The RUC is a form of "payment". Until the RUC clears, it remains "unused" so a waitlisted RUC will still show in your wallet as "open".

You may also wish to peruse the wiki for the GUC success thread as some of the considerations/logistics are similar between RUCs and GUCs.

Print Wikipost

Using Regional Upgrades on Delta (RUC) post 2/1/2022

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by businesstino
Has anyone ever had an RUC that was initially waitlisted and then cleared actually work correctly? It seems that every time this happens, my ticket is not re-issued, and I have to call in to have this fixed.

I had an RUC waitlisted for ATL-PHX last week and was not able to check in, so I knew what the issue was. When I called in, the rep said the RUC cleared and my ticket needed to be re-issued, but there was a 45-minute hold for the ticketing desk and instead of keeping me on hold, she would call me back once it was done. About 2.5 hours later, I got a call back from the same rep that I initially spoke with telling me that it was complete. I asked her, "Surely you have not been on hold internally waiting on the ticket desk just for me this entire time??" and she said that she was. And we wonder why there are long hold times? One agent was tied up for almost 3 hours just trying to deal with this one issue.
Often times when I call in to get an upgrade confirmed, the ticket isn't re-issues. Usually at some point before the flight the ticket will get re-issued, but there have been times when I've had to call a week before the flight to get it ticketed (not sure if it would have been ticketed automatically, but my cutoff to wait is usuall one week and then I call.)
gretchendz likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2022, 8:56 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Thank you all

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Often times when I call in to get an upgrade confirmed, the ticket isn't re-issues. Usually at some point before the flight the ticket will get re-issued, but there have been times when I've had to call a week before the flight to get it ticketed (not sure if it would have been ticketed automatically, but my cutoff to wait is usuall one week and then I call.)

For confirming that I will never choose them again as my annual gift (at least untli they cleaning up the processing.....For those of you who like and use them...I'm one less competitior for you!
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:23 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
Is this a mistake? GUC only on delta 1? Flight is one month out and 9 seats for sale on each flight

Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:34 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Just applied RUCs to an upcoming itinerary, was available to confirm outbound but only waitlist coming back.

Outbound was properly processed into OL consistent with the details in the wiki. Receipt I received had three lines for the return, one for confirmed U, one for waitlisted OU, and one for waitlisted O. I guess that means one can have both an RUC request and a complimentary upgrade request at the same time now? Which is fine by me, as long as it doesn't cause any issues. I'm more concerned whether waitlist for O is right or should it be waitlist for OL?
Old Feb 18, 2022, 9:38 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Is this a mistake? GUC only on delta 1? Flight is one month out and 9 seats for sale on each flight
That can be correct -- as noted in the Wiki, for domestic D1 GUCs book into Z while RUCs book into OY, so that flight does not have OY availability but does have Z availability. (Aka Delta is moderately confident that they can sell the seats up front ... but not super confident, or else Z might not be open either.)
Old Feb 18, 2022, 11:25 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
I literally cannot find ANY JFK/SFO RUC confirmed spaces between now and September. Everything is all GUC only.
Pre 2/1, I could find at least a dozen flights (albeit at random times) a month. So frustrating.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:14 pm

Any recent experience with RUC and SDC? I was able to confirm RUC on aus-sea but it's a very early flight that I would like to SDC to later one. Can I SDC as OL or does it go back to my original fare class?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 5:19 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Any recent experience with RUC and SDC? I was able to confirm RUC on aus-sea but it's a very early flight that I would like to SDC to later one. Can I SDC as OL or does it go back to my original fare class?
There is another thread on this topic though I haven't seen any data points on this since Feb 1 either here or there. SDC while using Regional Upgrade Certificates (RUC) Definitive Thread

Prior to Feb 1, the SDC function in the app did let you SDC directly into F when using RUCs so hopefully that functionality remains intact as getting agents to SDC properly has been a challenge for many, as you can see in that thread.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:30 pm
NY9

Not able to use RUCs JFK-LAX

Trying to use my RUCs on my JFK-LAX flight in September. I am being told there’s no availability for Delta One. I asked what availability there is moving forward for that route in Delta One. I was told there isn’t any.

She said it is possible Revenue Management hasn’t released the RUC availability. I said but there is no date from here on out ever. She said well you can use them for connecting flights the rest of the year but not in Delta One nonstop.

Essentially what has occurred here is insane. Delta has now not permitted FC companion certs to be used for Delta One.

Now for PM status customers they have restricted the ability to actually even use the RUCs on domestic long haul flights for Delta One upgrades.

This is by far the most ridiculous set of circumstances I have come across with devaluation in quite some time.

Is there any solution whatsoever for this? They essentially just say they can’t be used and that’s it. No availability. Look at any JFK-LAX route that month. Not a single seat in ANY cabin has even been sold. But nope. No availability.

This is an absolute outrage. There’s zero purpose in even having PM anymore.
Spiff and Pocatello like this.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by NY9
Trying to use my RUCs on my JFK-LAX flight in September. I am being told there’s no availability for Delta One. I asked what availability there is moving forward for that route in Delta One. I was told there isn’t any.
In that situation, I'd be tempted to book something that is available, have it re-ticketed, and wait for the inevitable schedule change. Then use the schedule change as leverage to request a change to the nonstop.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:03 pm
NY9

Originally Posted by Smaug
In that situation, I'd be tempted to book something that is available, have it re-ticketed, and wait for the inevitable schedule change. Then use the schedule change as leverage to request a change to the nonstop.
the problem here is that I have 4 RUCs and I’m using them among two passengers. So to book a connection would eliminate the possibility to use them for the second passenger due to the additional legs on the trip.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:09 pm

Programs: Dividend Miles, WorldPerks
Originally Posted by NY9
the problem here is that I have 4 RUCs and I’m using them among two passengers. So to book a connection would eliminate the possibility to use them for the second passenger due to the additional legs on the trip.
RUCs work the same for connecting flights, only one is required.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:12 pm
NY9

Originally Posted by pgh234
RUCs work the same for connecting flights, only one is required.
ok good to know. I would just respond and say it seems like they just don’t want you using them for Delta One anymore. I would be curious to even ask where I can use them then. JFK-LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA, LAS, PHX? Where can one even use these now?
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NY9
ok good to know. I would just respond and say it seems like they just don’t want you using them for Delta One anymore. I would be curious to even ask where I can use them then. JFK-LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA, LAS, PHX? Where can one even use these now?
You can use them anywhere that has available upgrade space. Nothing has changed with the new rules in that regard. You can use delta.com to find upgrade space. Look segment by segment, not by route.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 8:19 pm

Programs: AF/KL Gold, DL Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold Elite; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by NY9

She said it is possible Revenue Management hasn’t released the RUC availability. I said but there is no date from here on out ever. She said well you can use them for connecting flights the rest of the year but not in Delta One nonstop.

Essentially what has occurred here is insane. Delta has now not permitted FC companion certs to be used for Delta One.

Now for PM status customers they have restricted the ability to actually even use the RUCs on domestic long haul flights for Delta One upgrades.

This is by far the most ridiculous set of circumstances I have come across with devaluation in quite some time.

Is there any solution whatsoever for this? They essentially just say they can’t be used and that’s it. No availability. Look at any JFK-LAX route that month. Not a single seat in ANY cabin has even been sold. But nope. No availability.

This is an absolute outrage. There’s zero purpose in even having PM anymore.
How do you know there is no availability on any D1 domestic flight? An agent on the phone is not about to check every flight. D1 upgrade space for RUC's has always been very limited. Keep in mind that a RUC will allow you to standby above all other complimentary upgrade passengers including Diamonds.

It took me all of 3 mins to find available seats. DL546 JFK-LAX on Feb 23 this week has OY space for RUC upgrade according to delta.com:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.