FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2065070-what-do-miles-when-someone-dies-definitive-thread.html)

longing4piedmont Mar 24, 2013 8:37 am

Originally Posted by timmy83 (Post 20471504)
Yeah - it seems that the estimates were wrong. http://nytmarketing.whsites.net/mediakit/rates

However, $200K appears incorrect as well.

Yes it is more.......weekday or Sunday.

longing4piedmont Mar 24, 2013 8:39 am

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 20472101)
Please take note that my original idea was NYT OR USA Today OR Atlanta Journal Constitution, of which all would probably have pretty much the same effect, and of which the AJC would be significantly LESS expensive than the other two.

and the cheapest of these is a 60K.........pipe dream

longing4piedmont Mar 24, 2013 8:41 am

Originally Posted by timmy83 (Post 20473160)
I'm looking at you, longing4piedmont.

suggest you learn how to read a rate card......

Jaimito Cartero Mar 24, 2013 10:45 am

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20473337)
Jaimito... are you out there? Can you provide some logistical advice?

Other than repeating some of the things I did right when NW and DL were merging, I don't know that our complaints were more than 50% successful. We did get 2 free award changes for top tier (plats) at the time, which they backed off the next year, I think.

USirritated Mar 24, 2013 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20473013)
I have no problem highlighting 2 or 3 issues... this would demonstrate the pattern of abuse. Just don't clutter the message too much.

It would be nice to target the NY area considering all the effort that DL management are putting into wooing the market there. But I agree ATL area would be more effective. How about a conspicuous billboard on the way to the airport?

I'm in for $300.

I think that a billboard might even be more effective than a newspaper ad, but listing three different points of grievance on a billboard would probably not be too effective, since people tend not to have enough time to read more than about one sentence on a billboard as they whiz by in their cars. Maybe a generalized complaint with a web address would work well though, especially if we could secure a simple domain name.

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20473273)
I vote for "Delta stealing miles from widows and orphans"

Big +1

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20473292)
While I remain committed to the advertising approach, and hope that we can get it going, I would be equally ready to contribute my $300 to legal filing fees and related expenses if any lawyer (who also has enough DL FF miles to have skin in the game) willing to take this on as a pro bono effort to seek an injunction on this matter.

Probably easier said than done (to find an attorney willing to take something such as this on pro bono).

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter (Post 20473337)
....snip....

2) IIRC, flyers (i.e., paper flyers, not people) were used pretty effectively during another anti-abuse campaign. Informative flyers that were handed out in airports, placed in seat-back pockets etc.

....snip....

While flyers sound like a good idea, the effectiveness of a flyer campaign is probably fairly limited, and IMO, effective distribution would be constructively unfeasable. As an example, if we could find 50 people willing to distribute flyers, split evenly at 10 people per airport, for 5 different DL airports, and each person was able to distribute 500 flyers, that would mean distribution of only 25,000 flyers. That is far less exposure than one billboard or one newspaper ad could generate. Of those 25,000 flyers, probably more than 80% would be thrown away, mostly ignored, within 5-10 minutes after being put in the hands of people.

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 20473345)
No, no, no. We will never agree on the "three issues". I am not in love with the award calendar but it doesn't affect me much. I just redeemed two SkyMiles trips at low levels rather painlessly.

While I supported the advertising campaign before, I won't this time. Why? Because I think Delta has thicker skin now and will basically hunker down and let it pass. Rather, I am trying to get them to see the idiocy of robbing my family of my assets. Whether or not owned, it's hard to argue they aren't at least assets....even as some might argue diminishing.

I don't think that it would be particularly difficult to get the paying supporters to agree on three issues by majority vote of one vote per $100 pledged.

I disagree about DL having thicker skin to "hunker down and let it pass." Especially on the SkyMiles death policy, which I believe to be a potential public relations nightmare for them, if enough people know about it.

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 20473407)
Don't put words in my mouth or assume you know how I feel on the subject. My comment was simply directed at those who want something for nothing and formulate grand ideas that come to nothing.....generally because they want it given to them and have no understanding of basic business principles.

Heard a great quote this morning that could not be more true in this forum......

Vision without execution is hallucination.........

And negativity destoys good ideas.

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 20473427)
and the cheapest of these is a 60K.........pipe dream

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 20473438)
suggest you learn how to read a rate card......

1) If you don't have anything (nice) constructive to say, then go sit by Ouiser or Clairee (paraphrased from Steel Magnolias), or in this case, Delta senior management.
2) Responding to one post at a time, individually and continuously, is called POST PADDING, which is against FlyerTalk rules.
3) We are already getting enough negativity from Delta, we don't need more negativity from you. If you do not want to be a part of this little uprising, then don't be a part of it, but don't rain on (the parade) the rest of us either. It may or may not be a pipe dream, but that does not mean that we can't dream, it just means that our dreams may or may not become a reality, and it does not mean that we should not try. Without dreams, and without trying, nobody ever got anywhere with anything worthwhile.

longing4piedmont Mar 24, 2013 12:58 pm

So the fact you want to run an ad and have NO clue as to its cost and pointing that out is negativity?

I would call it stating the facts.

Dream on...........

itsaboutthejourney Mar 24, 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 20474502)
I don't think that it would be particularly difficult to get the paying supporters to agree on three issues by majority vote of one vote per $100 pledged.

I disagree about DL having thicker skin to "hunker down and let it pass." Especially on the SkyMiles death policy, which I believe to be a potential public relations nightmare for them, if enough people know about it.

You could look into a kickstarter campaign. Let confirmed donors vote, I think they are set up to do levels, so someone could vote once per $100, etc.

USirritated Mar 24, 2013 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 20474590)
So the fact you want to run an ad and have NO clue as to its cost and pointing that out is negativity?

Dream on...........

No, your overall tone is what is negative, overwhelmingly so. The idea is a concept for discussion, not just one way or nothing. The real idea is to have a discussion about coming up with a plan to publicly air and advertise our grievances. I might be wrong about the actual costs of full page advertisements, but the real idea was not the cost of a full page ad, the real idea was FTers investing in a campaign TOGETHER to combat abusive Delta policies.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney (Post 20474636)
You could look into a kickstarter campaign. Let confirmed donors vote, I think they are set up to do levels, so someone could vote once per $100, etc.

That is a very good idea actually. The Kickstarter campaign itself would generate its own publicity, even before a newspaper ad, or billboard ad, or a magazine ad, or radio spots are actually purchased with the money pledged. Who here is Internet savvy or PR savvy or not-for-profit savvy (I am good with marketing/advertising, although I never bought a full page newspaper or billboard ad) to help with putting together a Kickstarter campaign with me?

timmy83 Mar 24, 2013 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated (Post 20474811)
That is a very good idea actually. The Kickstarter campaign itself would generate its own publicity, even before a newspaper ad, or billboard ad, or a magazine ad, or radio spots are actually purchased with the money pledged. Who here is Internet savvy or PR savvy or not-for-profit savvy (I am good with marketing/advertising, although I never bought a full page newspaper or billboard ad) to help with putting together a Kickstarter campaign with me?

Would I earn AA miles if I funded a kickstarter page with my AA-branded credit card?

mdb Mar 24, 2013 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by longing4piedmont (Post 20474590)

Dream on...........

You sure you don't work for Delta, maybe a spouse or close relative?

USirritated Mar 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by timmy83 (Post 20474883)
Would I earn AA miles if I funded a kickstarter page with my AA-branded credit card?

Actually, yes, and wouldn't that be incredibly ironic!?!?

longing4piedmont Mar 24, 2013 3:19 pm

Originally Posted by mdb (Post 20475144)
You sure you don't work for Delta, maybe a spouse or close relative?

Typical of the crowd here. If you don't explicitly support the rallying cry of the day against the big bad Delta, you must work for them. Must make you feel so much better to say that, eh?

I don't nor does any one close to me. Unlike many here who like to stand on the sidelines, thump their chest, throw insults, and hide behind a keyboard, etc, I voice my displeasure in direct communication with Delta, which to the surprise of many here is sometimes quite often and sometimes very pointed. I simply don't have time for the games played out here......

If and when somebody wants to get serious and approach the issue in a professional manner you can count me in.

In the meantime, dream on...........

FlyDeltaJets87 Mar 24, 2013 3:33 pm

Rather than paying all this money for a one-time ad in the paper, would it better for a group to go directly to the AJC or CNN or some major news source with the story and let them report on it? (Let the press do your advertising for you).

And besides FTers and true Frequent Flyers, how many people who would see this ad in the paper would care or even know that their miles do or don't expire upon their death? How many people who see this ad would care enough to act on it? How many people out there have large enough Skymiles balances that this would be a concern after a loved-one passes on? Knowing your target audience is more important than just putting an ad out there. Just my opinion but I would think working with the admin on FT Talk and other websites similar to this one to get an advertising (an internet banner) would be more effective use of the money than a one-page, one time ad in the AJC.

USirritated Mar 24, 2013 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by FlyDeltaJets87 (Post 20475446)
Rather than paying all this money for a one-time ad in the paper, would it better for a group to go directly to the AJC or CNN or some major news source with the story and let them report on it? (Let the press do your advertising for you).

And besides FTers and true Frequent Flyers, how many people who would see this ad in the paper would care or even know that their miles do or don't expire upon their death? How many people who see this ad would care enough to act on it? How many people out there have large enough Skymiles balances that this would be a concern after a loved-one passes on? Knowing your target audience is more important than just putting an ad out there. Just my opinion but I would think working with the admin on FT Talk and other websites similar to this one to get an advertising (an internet banner) would be more effective use of the money than a one-page, one time ad in the AJC.

DL and all of the three remaining (after the US/AA merger) legacy carriers have tens of millions of Frequent Flyer accounts EACH. It would not surprise me at all if DL had in the neighborhood of 1 million FF accounts with over 1 million miles, and probably no more than 1% of those are FT members or even know about FT.

indufan Mar 24, 2013 5:23 pm

I won't be hard to get agreement AT ALL with the system you propose. But you won't be doing it with my money....because I am not going to pay to support two things that are irrelevant to me.

Maybe, except at previously pointed out they aren't exactly a trend setter on this policy. I don't see anyway this causes them near the problems at the charging of the soldiers excessive baggage fees...and that came and went.

I think I am going to be done with this topic and I have said what I have to say and think it is beginning to go down the drain.