FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   What to do with miles when someone dies... ? (Definitive Thread) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/2065070-what-do-miles-when-someone-dies-definitive-thread.html)

Jaimito Cartero Mar 27, 2013 10:32 am

Originally Posted by holtju2 (Post 20491218)
This has now made it to NBCNews.com where they are referring to the piece I wrote for LoyaltyLobby, this FlyerTalk thread, and the online petition.

http://www.nbcnews.com/travel/delta-...u-do-1C9085955

I think that eventually they have to back down. This is such an emotional issue.

Yes, free publicity/news articles are way better than shelling out for an ad. Another dumb PR move by DL beancounters. They lose the little good PR they do get with actions like these.

RustyC Mar 27, 2013 10:54 am

From the NBCNEWS.com story:

He was puzzled the carrier implemented the change without giving members much advance notice. No e-mail was sent announcing the move, Winship said, though an airline representative did write a brief post about the rule update on Flyertalk.com last week.
This under-communicating of changes is starting to look like a pattern with Delta. It's as if they've fired all their PR people.

It's also a real howler that they looked at other areas besides mileage expiration and determined this one had little or no value (groupthink?). It's motivated by the same reasons as the mileage expirations, i.e. wanting to get miles off the books without providing anything in return.

Delta is edging ever closer to that tipping point where news stories about problems redeeming miles or negative program changes will convince even Joe Sixpack that the programs are no longer worth it. That'll in turn kill the golden goose as far as selling non-flight miles and play into the hands of LCCs and ULCCs.

RustyC Mar 27, 2013 11:08 am

Originally Posted by us2 (Post 20490122)
We're down to a world where you get what you pay for and even then, not really. While I'm troubled by the relative lack of competition in the industry, perhaps that's as it should be. The American consumer, in its collective wisdom, has spoken and the resounding answer is for ultra cheap fares and crappy service and an industry that is happy to oblige in providing the latter while fighting the former.

I'm old enough to remember when the meals in Y were generally better than the F meals of today and I'm sure that skews my perspective on all this. Yet, I can't help but think that the industry as a whole can't do better. Then again, with but 3 legacy carriers left, who really has an incentive to do so?

For the legacy airlines, it has always been about things like fortress hubs, monopoly or oligopoly routes, and limiting numbers of seats. If they can get a favorable situation with any of that they'll charge too much on fares regardless of service. People in places like Montana or the Dakotas have had to live with it for a long time.

Getting down to 3 major carriers is really about leverage over consumers, regardless of all the baloney about how this or that combination will "benefit consumers" with seamless this or seamless that. None of this competition stuff.

The artificial capacity limits provide an opening for LCCs with ability to expand to grab market share. Spirit has been doing a bit of this, though they're in a class by themselves on charging fees for everything and trying to invent new ones.

DLdweeb Mar 27, 2013 11:14 am

Originally Posted by RustyC (Post 20492038)
This under-communicating of changes is starting to look like a pattern with Delta.

Starting? Lack of timely, clear communication has been DL's MO for years.

The one exception was the announcement of the MQD requirement. I'm beginning to think that was announced way too early by mistake.

pbjag Mar 27, 2013 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points (Post 20488854)
You all know there is only one thing and one thing only we can do that will impact Delta at this point as they are NOT going to listen to us.

You ask what could impact them? Look at the 10-K.

FT'er have a "few" Skymiles right? If we all who are upset about this redeem and fly as many miles as possible, all as fast as we can, it will impact Delta. It would take a TON of miles, but I am sure we have a few.

It would be fun to do a poll and see how many miles are represented in this thread. I now have under 200k but have 600k booked this year! Will be earning another 200k this year but will burn them ASAP!

A significant drop in DL AMEX cardholders as a result of this move may also impact their relationship with AMEX. We're definitely closing my mother's account because there is no point in her keeping that card (have been trying to persuade her of that for a few years). We'll also wipe out her mileage account this month.

ADLFO Mar 27, 2013 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by DLdweeb (Post 20492151)
Starting? Lack of timely, clear communication has been DL's MO for years.

The one exception was the announcement of the MQD requirement. I'm beginning to think that was announced way too early by mistake.

Agree on the lack of DL engagement. That process has been going on for several years.

As to the MQD requirement, I firmly believe that change was announced with so much lead time to allow at least one of the other two remaining legacies enough time to follow suit for their FFer program next year. In their minds, it was worth a shot.

The accountants/MBAs are clearly in charge at DL. Pump up the stock price now for bonuses today with the only downside being the loss of loyalty in the future, when many of them will be long gone with said bonuses.

Renes Points Mar 27, 2013 4:43 pm

Originally Posted by pbjag (Post 20492995)
A significant drop in DL AMEX cardholders as a result of this move may also impact their relationship with AMEX. We're definitely closing my mother's account because there is no point in her keeping that card (have been trying to persuade her of that for a few years). We'll also wipe out her mileage account this month.

Disagree on the AMEX side. Delta expects, per the 10K, for AMEX to keep buying Skymiles until the cows come home but a 2 or 3% change in Skymiles redemption in a hurry would hit the books big time!

DC777Fan Mar 27, 2013 6:19 pm

I read several pages of this, but the thread got way off topic... My grandfather recently died and had a large (several hundred k) stash of DL miles... are they now gone?

If Delta doesn't know he's dead can we still book tickets (i.e. just call and pretend to be him) and not say anything about it?

FlyingUnderTheRadar Mar 27, 2013 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by DC777Fan (Post 20494550)
I read several pages of this, but the thread got way off topic... My grandfather recently died and had a large (several hundred k) stash of DL miles... are they now gone?

If Delta doesn't know he's dead can we still book tickets (i.e. just call and pretend to be him) and not say anything about it?

If you can get into their account (SM number and pin) I would say go for it.

wgbiii Mar 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Has anyone with lots of miles used the Delta comment/complaint link to complain about the new policy? I'm wondering what the canned response would be. Probably would be better from an older SM member. (or if Stayinghomeisbetter wrote the complaint!)

http://www.delta.com/contactus/pages...aint/index.jsp

mikey1003 Mar 27, 2013 8:47 pm

Skymiles die when you do

Breaking my self imposed absence from FT to post this.

Just announced on Cincy news. Skimylies are no longer able to be passed on to spouse or others when member dies

The B------S did it again. 1st they take away old miles and now they screw our family:mad::mad::mad::mad:

AJDelvarno Mar 27, 2013 8:50 pm

You're pretty late to this party...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...am-update.html

CJKatl Mar 27, 2013 8:51 pm

Cincy news must be recycling topics from FT. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...am-update.html

WWGuy Mar 27, 2013 8:53 pm

Cincy news is a week or so behind FT news.

GUWonder Mar 27, 2013 8:55 pm

Welcome to Delta Airlines, an airline where management is counting on its customers and the customers' miles to expire.